Alcoa was not so invincible tonight.

bigbearsfan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa is a great team as everyone knows. It is a real testament to CAK's effort that their starters played all 4 quarters in both games vs. CAK this year. Props to Alcoa. As usual, you are the real deal.

BTW, both TD's were scored against Alcoa's starters and there was no rain whatsoever as Tom said. Probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but as you can see in the Alcoa vs. CAK thread, this is exactly what we were hoping for. A close score at half time and really, really messy weather in the second half. The score was 14 to 7 at the half as requested but no rain for the second half. Everyone knew we were the underdog bigtime and it would take a "perfect storm" to win this game.

My biggest hope was regardless of score, that our guys would not be intimidated and not quit no matter what. That's easy to say but harder to do against Alcoa.

FWIW, Alcoa's defense is as good as I've seen in 2A, including the last couple of years' Alcoa teams.

CAK stopped alcoa on their first two drives of the game and after that alcoa stopped themselves. Alcoa had 3 fumbles inside the CAK 20, one by chase james, one by tyson and one by cameron foster. This is something that doesnt usually happen for alcoa as they are very good in protecting the ball. CAK also had a goaline stand against alcoa on a 4th and goal from the 1. Had alcoa not shot themselves in the foot they probably could have added 3 tds or so to that score. Alcoas sam thompson also missed two ints that led to cak tds. On the last cak td thompson had the ball in his hands and and the cak wr made great play and just took it away from him. These are things that usually dont happen sam either. One thing you must credit cak for is they once again played alcoa harder than any other 2-A team plays them. when most teams get down to alcoa they get that "oh here we go again" look and the score usually gets worse than it should be. CAK's team fights no matter what the score is and takes advantage of alcoas mistakes. They have scored 21 points on alcoa in two games and 14 have been off turnovers, so you must credit the cak staff for having their kids ready to play and credit the kids big time for the energy they come out and play with against alcoa. they are the one 2a team that doesnt lay down to alcoa. But this is the playoffs and any win is a good win so keep it going alcoa and cak great job last night.

CAK stopped alcoa on their first two drives of the game and after that alcoa stopped themselves. Alcoa had 3 fumbles inside the CAK 20, one by chase james, one by tyson and one by cameron foster. This is something that doesnt usually happen for alcoa as they are very good in protecting the ball. CAK also had a goaline stand against alcoa on a 4th and goal from the 1. Had alcoa not shot themselves in the foot they probably could have added 3 tds or so to that score. Alcoas sam thompson also missed two ints that led to cak tds. On the last cak td thompson had the ball in his hands and and the cak wr made great play and just took it away from him. These are things that usually dont happen sam either. One thing you must credit cak for is they once again played alcoa harder than any other 2-A team plays them. when most teams get down to alcoa they get that "oh here we go again" look and the score usually gets worse than it should be. CAK's team fights no matter what the score is and takes advantage of alcoas mistakes. They have scored 21 points on alcoa in two games and 14 have been off turnovers, so you must credit the cak staff for having their kids ready to play and credit the kids big time for the energy they come out and play with against alcoa. they are the one 2a team that doesnt lay down to alcoa. But this is the playoffs and any win is a good win so keep it going alcoa and cak great job last night.

Nice comments and good points regarding your Tornadoes. I will point out (as FBD pointed out to me last night) that there were no fumbles by Alcoa where the player just dropped the ball, or it was wet and came out. Each of the fumbles involved a CAK "hat" on the ball. I agree with you that Alcoa could have scored more had circumstances been different. But ??'ll also point out that CAK had the ball 1st and goal from the 5. The vast majority of the time this would result in a CAK touchdown, but we couldn't overcome the stout Alcoa defense. Both teams left points on the field.

Alcoa's secondary played an almost perfect game. They completely shut down CAK's short passing game which is not all, but an important part of our attack. That was the best play by a 2A secondary overall that I've seen. There were more "almost" interceptions and balls batted down than I can bear to remember.

Alcoa's "front 7" (yes I know they weren't in a 4 - 3) was tremendous. They bottled up the CAK rushing attack surprisingly well. I can see why this defense gave up virtually no points all season. They are very fast, talented, and athletic. The one thing CAK was able to do somewhat effectively on offense were deeper patterns.

Man I wish 81 Brooksbank had one more step on the defender and could have gotten in for one more TD...

Congratulations Tornadoes. I believe if you stay focused you will have your fifth in a row here soon.