claiborne ?

mrv1

No dog in this fight, but Claiborne has never really dominated Seymour. Gibbs has become much better in the last three years. They have an excellent group athletes and have played very well togther. I think they will be in the hunt when it comes tournament time. Claiborne got beat at Seymour because they were slower, out rebounded, and missed alot of free throws. Good luck to the Lady Bulldogs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my!--not again!--------------Claibornes' "top player" was in NO way "RUN off"! She chose to leave and it was a good move for her. --Wish her well. Coaches ran off NO ONE(Pu--leeze! Once and for all, put it behind you--move on!) Channel your energy toward -also choosing a different path or course of action that will benefit or improve your situation--the exaggerations and untruths are tiring. Someone said that Claiborne has a height and size disadvantage, but are executing better,have better chemistry,and are playing well with a lot of hustle and heart. Someone else said that someONE looks for ANY excuse to be negative about the coach. Another said that Claiborne has never dominated Seymour and that Gibbs has had a particlarly strong team for three yrs. (Claiborne beat them last yr.). Seems that several are disagreeing with your-- so-called facts. Facing teams such as MW, Seymour, and Gibbs doesn't sound like shying away from competition or "watering down" a schedule.

As far as the Christmas tourney, the timing of the CG game conflicted with several other tourneys.--boys' coach initiated this one-girls' coaches know nothing about the teams they face. --the home school game-- only the JV dressed out for the varsity game. And---what did Coach Cook do at UC?--won more games than had been won total in 6 previous yrs. UC-- not doing well this year under new coach, who previously coached at the college level and is a fine coach.--There ARE other factors that contribute to a lack of success besides coaching ability!

You mention ????a horrible ?overall record---HMMMM--Seven years @ a Claiborne MS ---approx. 160+ wins,less than 20 losses-6 of 7 CTY championships, then improved UC from 0 wins to 10, then 13 the two yrs. there ---a fantastic comeback to 2nd in district last yr.--In NO WAY! does that add up to a "horrible" overall record!

Constuctive criticism and positive statements are encouraging to the families and the kids --and thats what it should be about!

Oh my!--not again!--------------Claibornes' "top player" was in NO way "RUN off"! She chose to leave and it was a good move for her. --Wish her well. Coaches ran off NO ONE(Pu--leeze! Once and for all, put it behind you--move on!) Channel your energy toward -also choosing a different path or course of action that will benefit or improve your situation--the exaggerations and untruths are tiring. Someone said that Claiborne has a height and size disadvantage, but are executing better,have better chemistry,and are playing well with a lot of hustle and heart. Someone else said that someONE looks for ANY excuse to be negative about the coach. Another said that Claiborne has never dominated Seymour and that Gibbs has had a particlarly strong team for three yrs. (Claiborne beat them last yr.). Seems that several are disagreeing with your-- so-called facts. Facing teams such as MW, Seymour, and Gibbs doesn't sound like shying away from competition or "watering down" a schedule.

As far as the Christmas tourney, the timing of the CG game conflicted with several other tourneys.--boys' coach initiated this one-girls' coaches know nothing about the teams they face. --the home school game-- only the JV dressed out for the varsity game. And---what did Coach Cook do at UC?--won more games than had been won total in 6 previous yrs. UC-- not doing well this year under new coach, who previously coached at the college level and is a fine coach.--There ARE other factors that contribute to a lack of success besides coaching ability!

You mention ????a horrible ?overall record---HMMMM--Seven years @ a Claiborne MS ---approx. 160+ wins,less than 20 losses-6 of 7 CTY championships, then improved UC from 0 wins to 10, then 13 the two yrs. there ---a fantastic comeback to 2nd in district last yr.--In NO WAY! does that add up to a "horrible" overall record!

Constuctive criticism and positive statements are encouraging to the families and the kids --and thats what it should be about!

You say that the present coach is not doing well at Union Co., but almost everyone will tell you that the program is in much better shape than it ever was under Cook. UC won 9 games in Murphy's initial year (more than Cook won in her first season) and is 5-7 so far this season. Despite remaining winless in the district to this point in Murphy's two years, the team has become more competitive in district play. Moreover, the schedule is no longer as soft---gone are Thomas Walker, Knoxville Christian, Kings' Academy, Harriman, etc. This current Union Co. team has been playing teams like Knox Central, Carter, Scott Co., Sullivan East, and CAK instead.

Coach Cook may or may not be doing a good job at Claiborne---only the people there know the direction she has taken the program. I wish her all the luck in the world there and I certainly agree with your statement that "there ARE other factors that contribute to a lack of success besides coaching ability!" I'm not trying to claim that Cook is not a good coach---I really have no idea whether she is or not.

I'm just saying that she was nowhere near the "success" that you seem to claim she was for Union Co. Ask the people at UC who truly know the program and you will find that they are very happy with the job Coach Murphy is doing and very glad that Cook moved on.

A lot of semantics goin' on here-Every coach has admirers and non-admirers. I know many at UC were happy with the program under Coach Cook and wins of any kind-period- were an improvment,and built morale. In most instances , as you quoted, point spread improved in the second or third game against the same opponent (becoming more competitive-great that they are continuing to improve in competitiveness).Coach Murphy is a fine coach. He, too, however, has admirers and non-admirers, and is yet to win a district game. It's a matter of individual opinion. Your "those in the know" and my "those in the know" obviously have opposite and conflicting opinions . Coach Cook and Coach Murphy are friends ,consulted with each other,and, I believe partnered with each other in some AAU ventures ,while both in UC. I wish both coaches and teams success. It serves no purpose to be critical.

Several upset players had to have a meeting with coach to discuss the problems that have continued to grow this season. Also heard that Claiborne may have a new coach next season no matter what happens the rest of this one. Everyone is tired of this that has lasted for two seasons now. Who would be the leading person to take over this program? Who can this rebuild and restore this program? This will take a while just like it is taking at Union County. Their program has made much improvement while Claiborne has continued to go down.

Several upset players had to have a meeting with coach to discuss the problems that have continued to grow this season. Also heard that Claiborne may have a new coach next season no matter what happens the rest of this one. Everyone is tired of this that has lasted for two seasons now. Who would be the leading person to take over this program? Who can this rebuild and restore this program? This will take a while just like it is taking at Union County. Their program has made much improvement while Claiborne has continued to go down.

A buddy of mine likes that area and wants to coach somewhere near there. However, he states that the pay there is so low. In counties like this that don't pay, do they make up the difference in other ways with coaches? Like with booster clubs?

Not legally they don't. Coaches are paid a teaching salary just like every other teacher in the system, based on their education and experience. They also receive a supplement for their coaching duties. The coaching supplements are on a scale and are negotiated by the local teacher's union under the Tennessee Bargaining Law. There is a huge variation in what coaches are paid from system to system, but legally that is all the pay they are supposed to receive. However, in many places coaches are "taken care of" by boosters, community groups, camp proceeds, or other sources of revenue. It can be a real "gray" area and is hard to prove, as most of it is done under the table. Many systems have also granted coaches 11 or 12 month contracts, which is legitimate and increases their income. Most public school coaches are working for the love of the game and the kids, because the supplements are low for the amount of time, energy, and effort involved.

Not legally they don't. Coaches are paid a teaching salary just like every other teacher in the system, based on their education and experience. They also receive a supplement for their coaching duties. The coaching supplements are on a scale and are negotiated by the local teacher's union under the Tennessee Bargaining Law. There is a huge variation in what coaches are paid from system to system, but legally that is all the pay they are supposed to receive. However, in many places coaches are "taken care of" by boosters, community groups, camp proceeds, or other sources of revenue. It can be a real "gray" area and is hard to prove, as most of it is done under the table. Many systems have also granted coaches 11 or 12 month contracts, which is legitimate and increases their income. Most public school coaches are working for the love of the game and the kids, because the supplements are low for the amount of time, energy, and effort involved.

Interesting info, CoachH. I'll pass that along to him.

He told me that Claiborne's salary scale is so low that he would never be able to make ends meet but I'm sure that's not on a 12 month contract. How much of a difference does that make?

An 11 month contract is one more month of their teacher pay. A 12 month is two more months. It could be an additional $5,000 to $9,000, depending on where you are on the salary schedule if you get a twelve month contract. If it is eleven the difference would be $2,500 to $4,500. I do not know what Claiborne's salary schedule or coaching supplement scale looks like. I also don't know whether they give 11 and 12 month contracts to coaches. It is all a matter of public record and can be obtained at the school system's central office under the Tennessee Public Records Act. The information may be on the school system's website.

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE CLAIBORNE COUNTY POLITICIAN /BOARD MEMBER!!!!!

AMEN TO THAT ONE!!! POLITICS HAS NO BUSINESS IN OUR SCHOOL SYSTEM BUT IT"S THERE TO STAY IN CLAIBORNE! IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CHILDREN ANYMORE, IT'S ABOUT WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR ME AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY! IF IT WERE ABOUT THE CHILDREN, THE SCHOOL BOARD WOULD HAVE THE BEST TEACHERS AND THE BETTER COACHES IN THE SYSTEM! THEY NEED TO BEG PARKEY TO COME BACK WITH A SUBSTANCIAL RAISE BECAUSE HE DESERVES IT. THEY ALSO NEED COACH BUSH IN THERE SOMEWHERE. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THESE TWO COACHES GO AT IT. I KNOW HE HAS MORE TIME IN THAN HER BUT I WOULD BET WE WOULD ALL SEE A GOOD GAME! DID ANYONE WATCH THE GAP AND CLAIBORNE PLAY LAST SEASON? COACH COOK PUT A SENIOR IN THE JV GAME JUST TO MAKE SURE A WIN AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY SHE ONLY WON BY A HANDFULL. AND COACH BUSH DIDN'T HAVE THE BEST SOPHMORES, COACH BROOK'S SAVED THEM FOR THE VARSITY GAME! COOK NEEDS TO GO BACK TO MIDDLE SCHOOL AND COACH BROOKS NEEDS TO START IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE BOTH COACHES HAVE SUPPORTERS ON THE SCHOOL BOARD. COACH BROOKS HAS A COUSIN ON THE SCHOOL BOARD,SO IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE PARENTS OR PLAYERS WANT, SHE'S THERE TO STAY!!! WHAT A SHAME! BUT THIS IS CLAIBORNE COUNTY ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE SAME.....IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE TREATED FAIRLY -- THEN MOVE!

AMEN TO THAT ONE!!! POLITICS HAS NO BUSINESS IN OUR SCHOOL SYSTEM BUT IT"S THERE TO STAY IN CLAIBORNE! IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CHILDREN ANYMORE, IT'S ABOUT WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR ME AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY! IF IT WERE ABOUT THE CHILDREN, THE SCHOOL BOARD WOULD HAVE THE BEST TEACHERS AND THE BETTER COACHES IN THE SYSTEM! THEY NEED TO BEG PARKEY TO COME BACK WITH A SUBSTANCIAL RAISE BECAUSE HE DESERVES IT. THEY ALSO NEED COACH BUSH IN THERE SOMEWHERE. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THESE TWO COACHES GO AT IT. I KNOW HE HAS MORE TIME IN THAN HER BUT I WOULD BET WE WOULD ALL SEE A GOOD GAME! DID ANYONE WATCH THE GAP AND CLAIBORNE PLAY LAST SEASON? COACH COOK PUT A SENIOR IN THE JV GAME JUST TO MAKE SURE A WIN AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY SHE ONLY WON BY A HANDFULL. AND COACH BUSH DIDN'T HAVE THE BEST SOPHMORES, COACH BROOK'S SAVED THEM FOR THE VARSITY GAME! COOK NEEDS TO GO BACK TO MIDDLE SCHOOL AND COACH BROOKS NEEDS TO START IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE BOTH COACHES HAVE SUPPORTERS ON THE SCHOOL BOARD. COACH BROOKS HAS A COUSIN ON THE SCHOOL BOARD,SO IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE PARENTS OR PLAYERS WANT, SHE'S THERE TO STAY!!! WHAT A SHAME! BUT THIS IS CLAIBORNE COUNTY ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE SAME.....IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE TREATED FAIRLY -- THEN MOVE!

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've brought my kid through the entire Claiborne school system (Midway, TNT, SMMS, Claiborne) and it's been a frustrating experience the entire time. I've seen parents transfer their kids other places to get away from it but we've tried to keep the faith that fairness would prevail.

To those parents that have transferred their kids to Cumberland Gap they unanimously tell me the teachers are better and the school environment is much more conducive to learning. I know kids that live south of New Tazewell and commute all the way to CGHS to bypass Claiborne. Speaking of the "river rivalry" CGHS swept Claiborne last night in the girls JV, girls varsity, and even the boy's varsity game. The Gap has a winning streak started on Claiborne the past couple of years; I guess we'll see what happens when they play the makeup games back at CHS they postponed from December.

There are some good teachers and coaches at CHS though - I don't want to generalize too much. Politics does play into too many hiring and team selection decisions - it's so entrenched it's actually nauseating. If I had to do it over again, it'd be a private school or we would move to Hamblen or Knox County.