Good Young Coaches

bigAsports

I believe the MBA coach to whom someone referred earlier is Jerry Meyer. Jerry is the son of college coaching legend, Don Meyer. He was a Tennessee Mr. Basketball winner (maybe twice) for Lipscomb high school. He was an assistant to Ricky Bowers at MBA prior to Bowers decision to coach only football. (Bowers has since gone to a new school in Bellevue -- can't remember the name.) Meyer has not only incorporated some of the best techniques of his dad, but he has also brought his own insight to the MBA program. Their talent was down last year, but they will be a power as long as he stays.

I would also like to add the names of Darren Crownover and his assistant, Shane Harwood at Lookout Valley. They have good technical knowledge and have great rapport with the players. Both played at Lookout Valley, so they care deeply about the school. Athletic Director Joe Galloway always seems to develop good teams and quality people as coaches.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Meyer, Jamie Wilson at Harpth these are two of the best young coaches in the state...Their prolly two of the most arrogent ones too!! ;) But they get the job done, their programs are solid..Coach Wilson has one at Harpth that will be playing big D-1 basketball someday.

Whos some of the best assistance that could be Head Coaching?

Posted by TnBball:

Jerry Meyer, Jamie Wilson at Harpth these are two of the best young coaches in the state...Their prolly two of the most arrogent ones too!! :D But they get the job done, their programs are solid..Coach Wilson has one at Harpth that will be playing big D-1 basketball someday.

Whos some of the best assistance that could be Head Coaching?

I agree with the two selections you made. I dont know Jamie personally but I do know Jerry. I cant see why you would say he's arrogent. I just dont see it. He is very well liked.

Coach Meyers isnt a bad arrogent..I'm saying her KNOWS that hes a good coach..Thats all, thats why I put a smiley face..Maybe Arrogent isnt the word I'm looking for..maybe it should have been confident in his abilities to coach the game of basketball...He goes into games knowing that his team wont lose because he got out coached..Hes a good guys along with Jamie Wilson. I know Jamie personally and he knows hes X's and O's..The kids love him there at Harpth and he will end up building a dynasty there if he stays long enough but thanks for agreeing.

Posted by TnBball:

Coach Meyers isnt a bad arrogent..I'm saying her KNOWS that hes a good coach..Thats all, thats why I put a smiley face..Maybe Arrogent isnt the word I'm looking for..maybe it should have been confident in his abilities to coach the game of basketball...He goes into games knowing that his team wont lose because he got out coached..Hes a good guys along with Jamie Wilson. I know Jamie personally and he knows hes X's and O's..The kids love him there at Harpth and he will end up building a dynasty there if he stays long enough but thanks for agreeing.

Thanks for your response. I agree, he will be well prepared for each game. There are not many that will be better prepared than him and his staff. So Jamie is a good one, whats his background?

Well I dont really know much other than he played his high school ball at Cheatham Co..He was a nice player there, then he played college ball on the NAIA level..As far as coaching he was at Martin Methodist as a recruiter and assistant. He took over at Harpth for Barry Mangrum. Jamie has one player Shane Dansby that should get a lot of Major D-1 attention.

Posted by TnBball:

Al Cooper from Clarksville Northeast is a good young coach..He has about 10 years total head Coaching in 10-AAA along with a few good years assisting at Northeast before he took the program over. He was at Goodpasture and other private schools in Nashville.

His Track record speak for hisself.

Just asking a simple question...sorry if I offended you softballer. i think that John Wild is one of the better coahes as well as Al Cooper. Cooper is a great teacher of the game. His Lipscomb days has payed off.

Honestly I think thats his best strength is knowledge of the game and teaching it..He is a GREAT instructor..Sometimes his principles and what he was taught gets him in trouble with certain teams that he has because hes stubborn and wont make adjustments alot of times..Clarksville Northeast has a very solid program and all the credit would have to go to Al Cooper.