Chattanooga Top 25

Indian

1-McMinn Central-undefeated, beat Polk County by 4 and Bradley Central by double figures

2-Cleveland-undefeated, beat Walker Valley, Greeneville and Sequatchie in close games.

3-Polk County-lost to McMinn Central by 4, to Northwest Whitfield GA (with two 6'4" posts) by 1.

4-Walker Valley-Started with 5 straight wins but lost 2 of 3, to Stone and Cleveland (by 4). Beat winless Red Bank by 2 points, beat CCS by 13 with CCS making 39 turnovers.

5-Bradley Central-double digit losses to McMinn Central and Cumberland County, plus to Briarcrest and Oak Ridge while not at full strength, beat Wilson Central with no Jasmine Hassell.

6-Sequatchie-lost at Cleveland by 1, by double digits to Wilson Central and Sevier County after trailing by 5 at the half in each; wins at Grundy and against CCS

7-Chattanooga Christian-losses to Walker Valley by 10, to Sequatchie by 9; no quality wins yet

8-Tellico Plains-lost by 20 to Polk, no quality wins as of yet.

9-Grundy County-lost big to Franklin County after beating them early, lost at home to Sequatchie by 12.

10-Baylor-Officially 4-0, but lost Hall of Fame games to Cleveland and White County.

Honorable mentions: Brainerd, Arts and Sciences, Grace Academy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the Chattanooga city schools not any better. I notice most of the top teams are from suburban areas, surrounding towns, and even rural counties. I know there has to be talent in the city. Is it coaching, lack of community support, or other problems?

I think a big problem is the lack of a real middle school system...I know in Chatt. the season starts early oct. and ends by the first week of dec. or there about. I have friends in middle TN and they play from nov. to almost feb. i believe, and play 18 or so games plus a tournament....

Rarely in the city do you have a skilled freshman that comes in and can compete right away...

Another reason could be, that there are 17 or 18 high schools in the city system, so talent gets spread around, where as with the top 5 on the list, are pulling from their counties....

I think a big problem is the lack of a real middle school system...I know in Chatt. the season starts early oct. and ends by the first week of dec. or there about. I have friends in middle TN and they play from nov. to almost feb. i believe, and play 18 or so games plus a tournament....

Rarely in the city do you have a skilled freshman that comes in and can compete right away...

Another reason could be, that there are 17 or 18 high schools in the city system, so talent gets spread around, where as with the top 5 on the list, are pulling from their counties....

uuuuuI'm not sure where you got your information but the Middle Schools I am familiar with don't have seasons quite as long. AAU for that age group start open gym generally start and the end of the last dates you quoted. I'm not aware of 18 games and a Tournament either but it may not be far off. Most al schools follow TSSAA Middle School Rules and those that don't have rules like them and maybe don't like to pay the fees.

OOH, a very good Middle School Program along with a Sharp AAU program can allow a high school, in most cases, to never have a Freshman Class, in talent level, to walk in their door as Freshman. Normally it is, at least, a Sophmore level talent wise or slightly higher. Emotionally may cause some difference, however.

Grundy Co. has 6 k-8 schools that feed their program. They also get most of the players from Monteagle Elem. a Marion School. 7-8 grade basketball is huge here. My kid's school has 18 regular season games on this year's schedule plus 2 local tournaments. They are also likely to go to one or two state tournaments.

There's also a 5th-6th schedule for those schools with 7 Saturday's scheduled for regular games and a pre season and a post season tournament.

There are quite a few of the kids who play and start for the school's 5th-6th team as well as the varsity. Now add to that the fact that we have a big "jr. pro" type program where pre-k through 4th grade are taught the game and a smaller Upward program and you can see that the good players get a lot of work. The great thing is that a lot of other kids get the chance to play the game too even if they're not going to be high school "stars."

I've always noticed that there is little concern in Chattanooga for the girls game. The bleachers do not get full until the boys start playing. You see a little interest in places like CCS and East Ridge but not much else.

DL.

Grundy Co. has 6 k-8 schools that feed their program. They also get most of the players from Monteagle Elem. a Marion School. 7-8 grade basketball is huge here. My kid's school has 18 regular season games on this year's schedule plus 2 local tournaments. They are also likely to go to one or two state tournaments.

There's also a 5th-6th schedule for those schools with 7 Saturday's scheduled for regular games and a pre season and a post season tournament.

There are quite a few of the kids who play and start for the school's 5th-6th team as well as the varsity. Now add to that the fact that we have a big "jr. pro" type program where pre-k through 4th grade are taught the game and a smaller Upward program and you can see that the good players get a lot of work. The great thing is that a lot of other kids get the chance to play the game too even if they're not going to be high school "stars."

I've always noticed that there is little concern in Chattanooga for the girls game. The bleachers do not get full until the boys start playing. You see a little interest in places like CCS and East Ridge but not much else.

DL.

No wonder. Chattanooga hates girls basketball and always will. Can't understand why because there has been some talent here and of course the Valley(s) have always been competitive. How will Grundy do this year Del?

No wonder. Chattanooga hates girls basketball and always will. Can't understand why because there has been some talent here and of course the Valley(s) have always been competitive. How will Grundy do this year Del?

Grundy's girls have played great through the first half of all of their games except one. They have built leads and looked like they would coast to victory each time. All but 2 they have. One of those was the second game against Franklin Co. and they were just never in that one. One person described it to me well about the season thus far. "We're playing _not to lose_ instead of playing to win. We get a lead and then we get worried."

I think the Lady Jackets are going to be just fine. I'd be shocked if they're not playing for the title in the district tourney. We'll see what happens from there.

DL.

uuuuuI'm not sure where you got your information but the Middle Schools I am familiar with don't have seasons quite as long. AAU for that age group start open gym generally start and the end of the last dates you quoted. I'm not aware of 18 games and a Tournament either but it may not be far off. Most al schools follow TSSAA Middle School Rules and those that don't have rules like them and maybe don't like to pay the fees.

OOH, a very good Middle School Program along with a Sharp AAU program can allow a high school, in most cases, to never have a Freshman Class, in talent level, to walk in their door as Freshman. Normally it is, at least, a Sophmore level talent wise or slightly higher. Emotionally may cause some difference, however.

What part are you familiar with? I know Overton Co.(LA's feeders), Pickett Co, Fentress Co. (at least York not sure about Clarkrange's middle school), Avery Trace (Cookeville) Cornerstone (Upperman), Jackson Co., Macon Co., lay Co. all play 15-18+ games a year....that goes thru at least early Feb. playing in 1 to 2 tournaments every year. Their seasons run from Oct. and end in Feb. Also, most of these high school teams all have freshmen (1-2 players) who can come in and make an impact for their respective team.