Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

There is always talk about tuition,recuiting, and trash service, complete with nice graphics....usually fit for the garden

You can add to that list of traditions Gary Rankin NEVER talking before or after (and probably during) the Maryville/Alcoa game without bringing up the enrollment difference. Loves to come out in spring and say he has so many players he doesn't have enough britches for them. Maryville? "They're bigger than us". Loves to mention thrashing Farragut and Oak Ridge in Scrimmages. Maryville? "Well its a numbers game with them". Year four of this tradition in the daily times this morning. And if ANYONE in reality counts 100 Maryville players on the sideline tomorrow night as he said there would be let me know.

Great post mhs

I crack up every time I hear Rankin say this same ole crap. I also hear a lot of this from Alcoa fans I know. Is Alcoa a lot smaller school than Maryville? You bet they are. Alcoa is a small school but not a typical small school. Alcoa has a community(Hall Community) that has put out more D1 prospects than the rest of Blount County combined. Alcoa also gets a lot of kids from Louisville and Rockford. Louisville is in the William Blount Zone and Rockford is in the Heritage zone. Louisville and Rockford is a lot closer to Alcoa than William Blount or Heritage. If I had a choice I would much rather have a son playing for a 10 time state champion(Alcoa) than William Blount and Heritage. The county schools go through coaches like I go through underwear. Maryville has several advantages over Alcoa but Alcoa has several advantages over Maryville also. I would rate Alcoa as by far the best little school program in Tennessee and one of the best in the country. Poor little Alcoa :lol:

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa is much better than WB as was obvious in the jamboree (just glad they only played one qtr). However, my statement was about Maryville and Alcoa. It had nothing to do with the Govs. You have to admit, Maryville had had the number of Alcoa over the past few years even though the talent level is very even. Both teams are absolutely ridiculously talented.

when's WB going to start playing Alcoa in football?

If it were up to me, they would start asap. When they stopped playing, WB was holding their own against the Tornados (late 90's). But some bitterness has developed over the years for whatever reason. I really thought when there were new coaches and new AD's, things would change and the game would once again be played. I think it will happen again in the near future, but that is only my opinion. It is obvious that Alcoa would love to play the game. Say what you want...it is definitely WB's decision to not play and we should accept whatever verbal poundings we take for not playing it.

By the way, I have no animosity towards Alcoa. How in the world do you get that from listening to the TYNER game in 2005? If I had such animosity I would not have asked my station to do the game (even though I did not get paid) just so Alcoa's game could be on the air. As a matter of fact, when I first got AM 1400 to do football broadcasts, it was to do Alcoa. The problem was they made me sell commercials to do the games and I did not know any Alcoa people. That's how it ended up being WB football instead of Alcoa football on AM 1400. So maybe you should retract your earlier comments. Alcoa is a great school with great administrators and coaches. I just can't figure out why they have went through such a drought against the Rebels.

Actually, I made my off the wall post with the hope of distracting some of the posters who seemed to be getting a little too nasty with each other. Obviously, it didn't work, as you are the only person who responded to it. The rest of the posters stayed on task and continued to discuss the Maryville-Alcoa game, generate bar charts, dispute each other's arithmetic, and call each other morons.

I have coached youth sports quite a bit over the years and know how difficult it is to get sponsors for the teams and signs for the fences. I'm sure it is quite a bit more difficult to get sponsors for broadcasts. Then you have to work with the advertisers to script the commercials and organize the broadcasts so that all the commercials are aired and are aired in the correct order.

I also realize that broadcasting local high school sports is a labor of love and can take a lot of time away from the family, particularly during basketball season when you sometimes broadcast doubleheaders several nights a week. Anyone willing to commit to do this is to be commended. Local sports broadcasting has to be considered a hobby, because NOBODY is getting rich doing it.

I, however, was serious about one part of my post. I do believe that there is too much obsession with being "THE BEST" at something, with anything less than "THE BEST" considered to be failure.

Something that perplexes me is the seeming need in our society to identify and proclaim something as "THE BEST". Why does it even matter which rivalry is "THE BEST"? Just enjoy the rivalries for what they are, a diversion that stirs up excitement in communities and an escape from the problems all of us face in the real world.

Sorry about dragging your good name through the mud in an attempt to make a point. Still, I won't completely retract my earlier comments. I'll just amend them to say that maybe sometimes you completely unconsciously take digs at Alcoa teams during your broadcasts.

I will say I do less of their games in basketball as opposed to the other 3 schools. That is due mainly in that the other 3 are always in the same District so it is easier for me. Selfish reasons so I don't have to keep up that much with another District of Boys and Girls. But it has nothing to do with Alcoa or any of the Admins. Josh has always been great to work with.

As for the competition Maryville has played to get to the championship game. I would say that it hasn't been much better than what Alcoa's had to play against. Granted the teams in the championship game have been very good but I say to you Alcoa's been better than any team Maryville has faced before you have gotten to the title game.

These are the kinds of statements that make me angry. For whatever reason, whoever Maryville is playing tends to think it's okay to assert that Maryville never beats anyone. Of course, it will mean nothing to you that I'm at the MHS games watching those opponents while you're at the Alcoa games. Of course it will mean nothing for me to say that in having seen both Alcoa and MHS's other opponents over the years that I think Alcoa would suffer the same fate at the hands of other, larger schools that they do against Maryville most years...nevermind the fact that you don't actually have the luxury of having seen these teams play in person (and, yes, I'm making the assumption here that you're actually going to Alcoa's games and seeing them play).

There's a flaw in logic there. For many an Alcoa fan it has gone like this: Maryville is the best in 4A. Alcoa is the best in 2A. Alcoa only lost to Maryville, so they must be better than all the other teams that Maryville beats as well. (And yes I understand that those classifications have changed, so please not that I spoke in the past tense intentionally.)

That reasoning doesn't work.

I won't say that no Maryville folks have made any outlandish claims on this thread, but you can read through all 50+ pages and this will be the first post you've seen from me. I'm disappointed in the way the discussion of this great rivalry has deteriorated this season. We're usually better than this.

I'm looking forward to a great game, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it in person. Does anyone know if there's a way to watch it without going? TV? Internet?

There is always talk about tuition,recuiting, and trash service, complete with nice graphics....usually fit for the garden

You can add to that list of traditions Gary Rankin NEVER talking before or after (and probably during) the Maryville/Alcoa game without bringing up the enrollment difference. Loves to come out in spring and say he has so many players he doesn't have enough britches for them. Maryville? "They're bigger than us". Loves to mention thrashing Farragut and Oak Ridge in Scrimmages. Maryville? "Well its a numbers game with them". Year four of this tradition in the daily times this morning. And if ANYONE in reality counts 100 Maryville players on the sideline tomorrow night as he said there would be let me know.

Great post mhs

I crack up every time I hear Rankin say this same ole crap. I also hear a lot of this from Alcoa fans I know. Is Alcoa a lot smaller school than Maryville? You bet they are. Alcoa is a small school but not a typical small school. Alcoa has a community(Hall Community) that has put out more D1 prospects than the rest of Blount County combined. Alcoa also gets a lot of kids from Louisville and Rockford. Louisville is in the William Blount Zone and Rockford is in the Heritage zone. Louisville and Rockford is a lot closer to Alcoa than William Blount or Heritage. If I had a choice I would much rather have a son playing for a 10 time state champion(Alcoa) than William Blount and Heritage. The county schools go through coaches like I go through underwear. Maryville has several advantages over Alcoa but Alcoa has several advantages over Maryville also. I would rate Alcoa as by far the best little school program in Tennessee and one of the best in the country. Poor little Alcoa :wacko:

What's your point?

WHO GIVES A #$%&! where the kids come from.......especially coming from fans that support a school where they allow a redshirt freashman QB to play.......and also BRING IN COUNTY KIDS!

Keep whining Maryville FANS! :wacko:

As for the competition Maryville has played to get to the championship game. I would say that it hasn't been much better than what Alcoa's had to play against. Granted the teams in the championship game have been very good but I say to you Alcoa's been better than any team Maryville has faced before you have gotten to the title game.

These are the kinds of statements that make me angry. For whatever reason, whoever Maryville is playing tends to think it's okay to assert that Maryville never beats anyone. Of course, it will mean nothing to you that I'm at the MHS games watching those opponents while you're at the Alcoa games. Of course it will mean nothing for me to say that in having seen both Alcoa and MHS's other opponents over the years that I think Alcoa would suffer the same fate at the hands of other, larger schools that they do against Maryville most years...nevermind the fact that you don't actually have the luxury of having seen these teams play in person (and, yes, I'm making the assumption here that you're actually going to Alcoa's games and seeing them play).

There's a flaw in logic there. For many an Alcoa fan it has gone like this: Maryville is the best in 4A. Alcoa is the best in 2A. Alcoa only lost to Maryville, so they must be better than all the other teams that Maryville beats as well. (And yes I understand that those classifications have changed, so please not that I spoke in the past tense intentionally.)

That reasoning doesn't work.

I won't say that no Maryville folks have made any outlandish claims on this thread, but you can read through all 50+ pages and this will be the first post you've seen from me. I'm disappointed in the way the discussion of this great rivalry has deteriorated this season. We're usually better than this.

I'm looking forward to a great game, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it in person. Does anyone know if there's a way to watch it without going? TV? Internet?

OK well..............like you have your opinion I have mine..........Alcoa was a better team than Maryville at championship time last year with Maryville's injury's at WR positions. Alcoa had a better run game and passing game at that time. Maryville Defense was better but not much better.

Yes, the discussion has not been much about the game, mostly whining about Alcoa having 40% of their players coming from Knox and blount co.........MUST NEED AN EXCUSE? :wacko:

Great post mhs

I crack up every time I hear Rankin say this same ole crap. I also hear a lot of this from Alcoa fans I know. Is Alcoa a lot smaller school than Maryville? You bet they are. Alcoa is a small school but not a typical small school. Alcoa has a community(Hall Community) that has put out more D1 prospects than the rest of Blount County combined. Alcoa also gets a lot of kids from Louisville and Rockford. Louisville is in the William Blount Zone and Rockford is in the Heritage zone. Louisville and Rockford is a lot closer to Alcoa than William Blount or Heritage. If I had a choice I would much rather have a son playing for a 10 time state champion(Alcoa) than William Blount and Heritage. The county schools go through coaches like I go through underwear. Maryville has several advantages over Alcoa but Alcoa has several advantages over Maryville also. I would rate Alcoa as by far the best little school program in Tennessee and one of the best in the country. Poor little Alcoa :wacko:

Ohh..........my..........goodness! I think I am going to throw up! :wacko:

OK well..............like you have your opinion I have mine..........Alcoa was a better team than Maryville at championship time last year with Maryville's injury's at WR positions. Alcoa had a better run game and passing game at that time. Maryville Defense was better but not much better.

Opinions are one thing, but that was a pretty bold claim. Is it your opinion that Alcoa would have won the 4A state championship game last year had they, rather than Maryville, been playing in it?

I'm not about to get into the 40% fray, because I don't think it matters.

BCSportsfan

Where in the heck was I whining in that post? I was making fun of Rankin for always bringing up the enrollment size when Alcoa plays Maryville.

Yes, Rankin does bring up enrollment size every chance he gets.....all truth to that, but the "Alcoa gets county kids" (Rockford, louisville) has been the "theme" for this entire thread..........and it just gets old!

Maryville did it for years....but now it's all the Maryville sheep want to talk about in regards to this years game. It really has taken away from the fun of the rivalry............