New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Ridge needs a new, energetic, younger, veteran coach. Kinda like a home run in baseball touch-em-all. If one stays or comes back there will baggage that isn't wanted or needed. Gary Rankin didn't want it before and surely wouldn't want the mess that is here now. And why would Joe Gaddis leave what he's got at Henry County? It's what he had here in Oak Ridge when he was here before.

If they can't get Rankin I expect them to look at Ron Gray. Whether you like him or not, he's a dang good football coach and I firmly believe he has what it takes to bring this program back to the top.

The same Ron Gray that quit in 2005, tried to undermine the program, undermine the coach before Stevens, and has an awful reputation in the coaching world including Bearden and Karns? I have read this board long enough to think the Oak Ridge faithful would know better than to hire that guy.

I think Oak Ridgers may have to resort to the simple fact that, Oak Ridge is not what it was 20 - 30 years ago and no one in the state looks at them like that anymore but themselves. The amount of arrogance in that town is astounding. If they could just mimic other communities like Maryville, Ooltewah, Smyrna, Germantown etc. and try to grow instead of talking about the past it could get better.

Young? No. Energetic, as in "rah, rah," No. Coach? Yes. If OR does not go hard after Pemberton, and if he doesn't take a hard look, both parties would be nuts. The guy is a program builder. OR needs just that. It's not like taking over at Alcoa as Rankin did. Tougher job @ OR, IMO. Obviously, the guy gets a lot out of his talent, is well respected in the coaching comminity, and knows how to win. I would think OR can pay more than Catholic, the talent would be better, and the district is playoff friendly for the next 4 years. I'd rather see him in the area than get recruited away to some program in GA, or AL, which is what I've heard also.

ruse?