Arby's Classic

tricitiessportsfan

2008 Arby's Classic  

40 members have voted

1. 1. 2008 Arby's Classic

Okay, I think I saw all the top teams play. I'm going out on a limb here to show how much I know about basketball. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" I'll say Miller Grove vs. Krop in the championship. What is everyone else's predictions?

I'll have to go with Bearden vs Biarcrest.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I think I saw all the top teams play. I'm going out on a limb here to show how much I know about basketball. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" I'll say Miller Grove vs. Krop in the championship. What is everyone else's predictions?

Gonna have to say Krop loses next round to Boyd. I agree with Miller Grove, either them or Bearden out of that top bracket in my opinion. Those 2 and Boyd and Briarcrest are in the semis. By then, its a toss up in my eyes.

On the other comment, the Adams transfer was best for everyone. Adams will get the most out of his potential, which happened in football also. And Odem gets to do his thing, a player I love watching play. Handles the ball on a string, always scores on mismatches, and is money in the 4th quarter. A buddy of mine threw out a theory that it seems silly for Science Hill to feel the need to play up and down all the time. For the last 4 years they have had matchup nightmares, Wattad, Odem, And Adams, but they are never patient on offense to get them into a situation where they can score. There are plenty of players Odem can score on if they take patience. I also don't understand how they run that drive and kick offense when they don't really have any shooters. Thats the whole point of that offense is to get open threes. I figure in a school of 2600 they have to be able to find some guys who can shoot the ball.

I dont know if it's just me but does it seem like basketbal and athletics in general in East Tennessee over the past 3 to 4 year span has gotten very weak. Not saying it's any programs fault it's just the way athletic's cycle around here.

I do think the Arby's need to pay attention to more teams on a yearly basis and pay more attention to strength of schedule and wins and losses instead of the whole AAA and AA catagory. Everybody know's that the arby's is a money maker thats a given for example Elizabethton,East,Central they brought money in but with all the other teams you have surrounding them do you honestly think the fans are there to watch those type of teams play???

No. Real basketball fans are going to come watch regardless because it's one of the biggest basketball tournaments in the country by far. But I think it's funny how you have teams like in 03 04 the Johnson County,Unaka,Cloudland,Happy Valley teams was bar none better than your Sullivan East,Daniel Boones,and Elizabethton team's and I will even go as far back as saying Hampton in the early 2001 2002 year's But never got the chance to participate.

Now I am not saying these teams should be invited every year but Unaka was not even mentioned the year after they won the state championship or the year they even won it to say the least. But you have medioccur East and Elizabethton teams getting to participate when truthfully there was other teams that should have been in their place.

Dont get me wrong the Science Hill's,DB's and Tennessee High's are very deserving of their spots in the arby's classic because they have the athletes to compete with the other competition. My Concern is just the other 2 or 3 darkhorse/underdog teams you have participating. Should they be invited on a yearly basis.

Whats everyone else's opinions on this?

I was very impressed with how well DB represented thier home state on Saturday against my Bengals. All I have to say is that was a GUT check win for Benedictine after going through a little trouble just to get to the tournament and not having one of our starters. I like the fact that DB was face guarding Cameron Wright the entire game. It worked well in the first half with a shutout but he got it going in the second half finishing with 14 points including 2 key freethrows for the win. I guess no one read my post about Derek Jackson in the other Arby's Classic thread. That Edwards kid is Tough! where is he playing college ball? Hopefully tonight my Bengals will finally have one of the main starters playing (couldn't play because of OHIO rules ya know politcs) but hopefully its all worked out tonite because we are going to need him if we want to advance against Briarcrest. Well good luck guys talk to ya later.

I guess you don't keep up with Briarcrest to much. First off it was in Ole Miss. Briarcrest 3 D1 players probably 5 when 2 of the freshman become seniors. Leslie McDonald, Mr. Basketball, looked as the best player in the state besides maybe Reggie Buckner or Joe Jackson. And someones already said how they think Briarcrest is a tremendous defensive team.

Yeah ive heard about Leslie McDonald i agree he is one of the best players in the state, never gotten to see him play though... and Braircrest may beat Bearden, I only see one game on Beardens schedule that i think is gonna be a for sure loss and thats against number 1 team in the Nation Oak Hill.

Monday, December 29

Session 3

Game 12

Bryan Station, KY 65

Greeneville, TN 30

Final.

Game Stats

Game 13

Gate City, VA 73

Sullivan East 71

Final-OT.

Game Stats

Game 14

Sumter, SC 48

Louisville Male, KY 57

Final.

Game Stats

Game 15

Science Hill 70

Dobyns Bennett 73

Final.

Game Stats

----------

Session 4

Game 16

Miller Grove, GA 62

Tennessee High 58

Final.

Game Stats

Game 17

Knox Bearden, TN 57

Monsignor Pace, FL 54

Final.

Game Stats

Game 18

Dr. Michael Krop, FL 34

Boyd Anderson, FL 55

Final.

Game Stats

Game 19

Briarcrest Christian, TN 42

Benedictine, OH 40

Final.

Game Stats

Yeah ive heard about Leslie McDonald i agree he is one of the best players in the state, never gotten to see him play though... and Braircrest may beat Bearden, I only see one game on Beardens schedule that i think is gonna be a for sure loss and thats against number 1 team in the Nation Oak Hill.

From seeing Oak Hill in person, I would say Bearden has a shot. I think Briarcrest could beat Oak Hill too. If Oak Hill's shot is off they look awful just 1 on 1 the entire game. Briarcrest beat Chicago Simeon who was leading Oak Hill into the 4th quarter. Best of luck to Bearden in that game I think the have a legit shot at it.

From seeing Oak Hill in person, I would say Bearden has a shot. I think Briarcrest could beat Oak Hill too. If Oak Hill's shot is off they look awful just 1 on 1 the entire game. Briarcrest beat Chicago Simeon who was leading Oak Hill into the 4th quarter. Best of luck to Bearden in that game I think the have a legit shot at it.

Nobody in this tournment could beat Oak Hill.

Nobody in this tournment could beat Oak Hill.

Briarcrest and Bearden would have a shot. I mean Briarcrest was beat Simeon who should have beat Oak Hill, you just calling that a fluke. Briarcrest plays good enough defense to make them a bad team. They are all 1 on 1 force them into a team game and they struggle.

As a fan of the Big 9, I'm personally not happy with the fact Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill are playing each other in the Arby's. With the two scheduled to meet twice in the regular season, and the possibility for them to meet potentially two more times in the post season, I see no reason why the Arby's brass would bracket them the way they did. I understand it's a blind draw, but why have teams from the same conference bracketed next to each other, it takes away from the tournament atmosphere. I digress.

Tsportsfan sounds like you were a little...how do I say this.......scared /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . You should have more faith in your team. I for one was waitin at the door to see this matchup. And IMO it couldn't have had a better setting than in the Arbys where their was nothing but pride attached. This game gave them a larger than usual stage which made it an unbelievable high school basketball atmosphere. Easily the the best and most exciting game for me so far. Both teams put on a show...and DB wins round one! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Look at it this way...there is now NO argument that the Indians of DB are the best team in the Big 9.