2009 Sequoyah Chiefs

bigclittleh

I got one question. Why is a school the size of Sequoyah scrimmaging Wartburg?? Not trying to degrade Wartburg but goodness do you really think that will get them ready to play the teams they do in the regular season? No. It just makes them THINK they are good because they can beat up on Wartburg. I want to see Sequoyah do good but playing teams like that don't make you any better.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one question. Why is a school the size of Sequoyah scrimmaging Wartburg?? Not trying to degrade Wartburg but goodness do you really think that will get them ready to play the teams they do in the regular season? No. It just makes them THINK they are good because they can beat up on Wartburg. I want to see Sequoyah do good but playing teams like that don't make you any better.

Well Canadian,

You should have seen that scrimmage. I did and Wartburg handed Sequoyah all they wanted. They did not beat up on Wartburg, and in fact gave up one touchdown and scored none. Good scrimmage for both schools. Alot of positive on both sides. I think the Chiefs did get better because they played a much improved Wartburg Team.

I first want to compliment Sequoyah your team played tough & showed a lot of potential. To the guy above the last I checked only 11 players are able to get on the field at a time. This was a good scrimmage for both schools & Wartburg normally has about 35-40 players on a team. Any way good luck to the chiefs this year.

Good scrimmage, at Wartburg, the main reason (IMO) fro spring practice is to basically "see what you got". Well it was hard to determine what we had. The final of the scrimmage was 1's vs 1's = 0-0. Wartburg scored once against Sequoyah's 2. Offensively, there were some sparks for oue run game, think Owen and Black will do very well for the tailback position. Fullback position, well its complicated, when Steinhardt was in there hehad some great blocks to open it up, but unless we get a couple more big guys, not sure if he stays in the backfield, wherever we do put him, it makes the other weaker. QB by committee last night due to (IMO) starting QB Rogers not playing, thought Rhino did very well, needs to work on the deep ball, Dyer will be the total package in a couple of years, #15 (didnt know the name) good mechanics may push Rogers alot over the summer, but with Rogers deep ball it will be tough. For our line, I thought they did as expected, they are relatively young, Workman and Peels will lead this group, thought Pettite and Arp held their own for the most part. At wideout, Bell has got good hands, if he has a chance to catch it, odds are good he will. Think Whited has good potential and Martin with his speed he could be very dangerous, really need another wideout to step up. TE Helms did his job as he should have, had one drop that got away from him, thought Wartburg had a great LB who played a big roll shutting down the middle on either the pass or run, so naturall our big plays were off tackle. I knew it would be tough to replace 15 seniors from last season, but its not a bad start. Does anybody know if Rogers will be back for the Greenback scrimmage? Be back later to hit the defense who did very well.

Well Canadian,

You should have seen that scrimmage. I did and Wartburg handed Sequoyah all they wanted. They did not beat up on Wartburg, and in fact gave up one touchdown and scored none. Good scrimmage for both schools. Alot of positive on both sides. I think the Chiefs did get better because they played a much improved Wartburg Team.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> that doesnt suprise me one bit to see ya'll hang with Sequoyah.. Sounds like Sequoyah is going to take another year worth of beatings.

Well Canadian,

Just curious, when did Wartburg "hand Sequoyah all they wanted?" When the JV was in there? They didnt do it when Varsity was in there, yeah they had some nice runs up the middle with counter action, but that was it. Their first six plays went backwards. Now they do have a good LB, decent speed with the speed sweeps, depth may be a issue. Anyway just curious?

Well, we lost alot of seniors last season, there are alot of question marks, this Chiefs team is young I can only think of maybe 4 Seniors to be, so would it be smart to scrimmage a Rhea County or a Soddy Daisy when your trying to figure out players? Gotta crawl before you can walk. Everybody has a different philosophy, and well I'll stand behind Satterfields decision to scrimmage Wartburg. Competition will be good this week when the Cherokees come calling. Does anyone know what time that scrimmage is?

Just curious, when did Wartburg "hand Sequoyah all they wanted?" When the JV was in there? They didnt do it when Varsity was in there, yeah they had some nice runs up the middle with counter action, but that was it. Their first six plays went backwards. Now they do have a good LB, decent speed with the speed sweeps, depth may be a issue. Anyway just curious?

Well looking at the scrimmage yesterday, the 15 guys Wartburg played kept the 1st, 2nd and whatever else string you guys had to put in out of the endzone. Your team had 41 offensive plays and failed to score against our 1st and only string. Offensively 2 of your series crossed the 50 yard line. The 4th series, did make make it to the goalline. (no rest for the weary) But on the 11th play the Chiefs were denied the endzone. The Chiefs also had two turnovers.

Offensively for the dawgs the first play was a speed sweep that went for 12 yards. All three series had positive yardage despite your analysis. With the JV bunch in as you say, Wartburg scored on the 2nd play of 10 on a 70 yard run and then worked on the inside running game.

Your team played hard. You have some fine young men and some good coaches. They are talented as you have said, but don't forget that when it counted, on the goaline with your number ones and our number ones from the 2 two yard line, our guys made the stand of the night. And that is what I mean by giving the Chiefs all they wanted.

Curious how did the scrimmage against Greenback go?

Somebody help me here if im wrong, 1 vs 1 Sequoyah 1-0 , 2 vs 2 Sequoyah 1-0. Greenback ,IMO, seemed a little young on the outside but big in the middle. Not real crazy about the direct snap, kinda remind you how wing t offense would run back in the old days. Both backs would converge on the snap, then it was guess who had it. They did a great job setting up the inside running lane early, after the Chiefs seen it a few times they did a good job shutting it down in the middle. For the Chiefs, not sure if I have ever seen a year in which so many positions are up for grabs, Coach S was getting a good look at all his options. Thought Black had a good day running the ball, also Hall was very impressive staying on his feet, good rotation of fullbacks, most were effective. Workman, Peels and Pettitt held their own, after that we just look young and inexperience on offense, missed blocks was a big factor on the day, Coleman took a shot, hes a tough young man, had a good game, completed some passes across the middle. Defensively, Workman had a great day inside,thought Wiggins was effective also, outside we started out rusty, but figured it out quickly, did a great job turning them back in. Pass defense needs more work, again it will come with reps. I thought it was a good showing for the Chiefs defensively, quick team, just need the reps. Again, the positions, IMO, are wide open going into summer workouts, big opportunity for the younger kids to get someplaying time, hit the weightroom boys and I think you guys will be just fine. Does anybody know when 7 on 7 starts?

• 2 weeks later...