South Rebels-'09

muttandjeff

I don't really think you should use Science Hill football to emphasize your point. Actually, South has won 2 out of the last 3 games with Greenville. DB, on the other hand, has lost to the 4th seed from Region 2 in 3 out of the last 4 years. I am sure that is something the KING is really proud of (though from what i have read, the officials are to blame for two of those losses). /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Actually we blamed the loses on our coach, not the officials. If you don't believe that go back and read the post. It was South fans that blamed the officials after their loss to Greenville this year. If you don't believe that go back and read the post. I can use Science Hill to emphasize my point because they have a larger enrollment than DB. The Indians have won that game 15 years in a row. Shooting down your theory with a single shot. You are correct about one thing, South has won 2 of the last three games against Greenville. They have however split the last four with 2 wins each. And that still knocks a whole in your theory that a team with a larger enrollment wins because of that enrollment. And again the fact that DB has lost to the 4th seed from Region 2, 3 out of the last 4 years does not help South one bit. Why don't you do like "03" and delete all your post to date, come back as a Maryville fan or a fan of a team that actually has a chance of beating DB. This argument coming from a South fan is like Richard Simmons trying to pick a fight with Mike Tyson. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually we blamed the loses on our coach, not the officials. If you don't believe that go back and read the post. It was South fans that blamed the officials after their loss to Greenville this year. If you don't believe that go back and read the post. I can use Science Hill to emphasize my point because they have a larger enrollment than DB. The Indians have won that game 15 years in a row. Shooting down your theory with a single shot. You are correct about one thing, South has won 2 of the last three games against Greenville. They have however split the last four with 2 wins each. And that still knocks a whole in your theory that a team with a larger enrollment wins because of that enrollment. And again the fact that DB has lost to the 4th seed from Region 2, 3 out of the last 4 years does not help South one bit. Why don't you do like "03" and delete all your post to date, come back as a Maryville fan or a fan of a team that actually has a chance of beating DB. This argument coming from a South fan is like Richard Simmons trying to pick a fight with Mike Tyson. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Don't compare DB to Mike Tyson, because Tyson actually won a championship. I was never arguing that South was better than DB, I was only pointing out that DB is very good when the cards are stacked in their favor, and they are no more successful than any other Region 1 team at beating teams outside of Region 2 in the playoffs.

Don't compare DB to Mike Tyson, because Tyson actually won a championship. I was never arguing that South was better than DB, I was only pointing out that DB is very good when the cards are stacked in their favor, and they are no more successful than any other Region 1 team at beating teams outside of Region 2 in the playoffs.

Thats pretty lame. Can you name any team that is very good when the cards are not stacked in their favor??? Theres no comparison in the teams DB and Science Hill plays and what the other teams play in the playoffs in Region 1. And I am glad you finally admit that South is NOT better than DB. Which is why your trying to make this argument about DB. You have nothing else.

Oh, and I wasn't compairing DB to Mike Tyson as much as I was compairing Richard Simmons to South. I see you didn't have a problem with that comparison since you didn't complain. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I can think of several schools around Nashville smaller then DB or South that would whip either.

Exactly, and I can think of several schools in the whole state of Tennessee that are larger that can't whip either. Enrollment numbers are not nearly the advantage as some people would like to think. Its more about tallent and coaching. But mostly about coaching and the system you have in place. There is NO system in Kingsport, or anywhere in upper east tn. Thats why we are so weak in this area. Period!

No one can argue DB's football dominance in NET. Just as no one can argue DB's coaching dominance in it's history of sports period. No one can argue that DB out coached South in '06. Talent wise, they were equal that year but the DB "system" put South in the weeds before the first kickoff. Then Coach Watson proceeded to prove he had a plan to ransack the Stacy Carter Spread offense. I'm surprised that no one since has attempted to foil the South offense in that manner. I'm sure that DB will employ that same plan in '09. Stacy Carter has since proved that he learned a valuable lesson from that game. In '06 he did not utilyze his running back corp until the Tennessee High game and has since concluded that intuitive RB's are crutial to the success of his offense. Not just any RB will do as he has proved. The common understanding is that RB's can't succeed out of the Spread. I think the falicy of that statement has been well documented in '07 and '08 with the South RB corp. Which has turned the Stacy Carter Spread into a triple threat offense. As such will make it difficult even for a Guru such as Coach Watson to deal with.

I contend that coaching is the #1 most important facet in successful high sports. Talent is purely secondary with the right coaching staff. South does have problems with fielding a defense to match the calibre' of its' offense. That would be a coaching issue.

But over everything else money is the supreme factor. Stacy Carter and his staff coach for the love of the profession. At some point he will follow the money because sooner or later the money will find him. Grahm Clark would have been gone long ago regarding this issue. So as far as NET is concerned, there will never be statewide competitive success on a dynasty scale simply because of a lack of money. Scott Smith will ultimately be successful at Science Hill if he stays because the money is there. But he cannot be discussed in the same sentence with Stacy Carter. In 5 years Coach Carter has taken a medium talent pool from a boarderline 4A enrollment and made it into a major success story. He is a system coach and his system is beginning to self-replicate itself. The inherent makings of any Dynasty. The 2009 year will tell a tale about Stacy Carters coaching ability and all eyes in NET are afixed to his next move. As well, many eyes statewide. Greeneville in '08 was a major blunder however Coach McCurray is no also ran.

In conclusion I feel that 2009 will be a banner year for South. They will beat DB and will win the conference undefeated and will stand poised to finish unfinished business. I feel sure Grahm Clark and Mr. Watson have acquired undying respect for Stacy Carters accomplishments and method of success. South will never achieve the DB status of having the premier sports program in the state but he will make clear that he knows how to build one. And in 2009 he will continue to add another brick to the wall. Bud will not miss this game...Nashville or no Nashville. And finally DB will have some competition that just so happens to come from its' own neighborhood. Kingsport will go on the map statewide.

So, when South is vacated in the not too distant future and many athletes from the Heghts attend DB will DB's stock raise exponentially? And when Graham Clark is gone will Stacy Carter follow in his footsteps as the head of Dobyns football? I'm sure more than a couple of administrators are considering that notion. For now...suffice to say that in the 3rd week in October Death Valley will hold a sold out crowd and blood will spill. Now, if we can just get a couple of basketball coaches. Rebel Nation

No one can argue DB's football dominance in NET. Just as no one can argue DB's coaching dominance in it's history of sports period. No one can argue that DB out coached South in '06. Talent wise, they were equal that year but the DB "system" put South in the weeds before the first kickoff. Then Coach Watson proceeded to prove he had a plan to ransack the Stacy Carter Spread offense. I'm surprised that no one since has attempted to foil the South offense in that manner. I'm sure that DB will employ that same plan in '09. Stacy Carter has since proved that he learned a valuable lesson from that game. In '06 he did not utilyze his running back corp until the Tennessee High game and has since concluded that intuitive RB's are crutial to the success of his offense. Not just any RB will do as he has proved. The common understanding is that RB's can't succeed out of the Spread. I think the falicy of that statement has been well documented in '07 and '08 with the South RB corp. Which has turned the Stacy Carter Spread into a triple threat offense. As such will make it difficult even for a Guru such as Coach Watson to deal with.

I contend that coaching is the #1 most important facet in successful high sports. Talent is purely secondary with the right coaching staff. South does have problems with fielding a defense to match the calibre' of its' offense. That would be a coaching issue.

But over everything else money is the supreme factor. Stacy Carter and his staff coach for the love of the profession. At some point he will follow the money because sooner or later the money will find him. Grahm Clark would have been gone long ago regarding this issue. So as far as NET is concerned, there will never be statewide competitive success on a dynasty scale simply because of a lack of money. Scott Smith will ultimately be successful at Science Hill if he stays because the money is there. But he cannot be discussed in the same sentence with Stacy Carter. In 5 years Coach Carter has taken a medium talent pool from a boarderline 4A enrollment and made it into a major success story. He is a system coach and his system is beginning to self-replicate itself. The inherent makings of any Dynasty. The 2009 year will tell a tale about Stacy Carters coaching ability and all eyes in NET are afixed to his next move. As well, many eyes statewide. Greeneville in '08 was a major blunder however Coach McCurray is no also ran.

In conclusion I feel that 2009 will be a banner year for South. They will beat DB and will win the conference undefeated and will stand poised to finish unfinished business. I feel sure Grahm Clark and Mr. Watson have acquired undying respect for Stacy Carters accomplishments and method of success. South will never achieve the DB status of having the premier sports program in the state but he will make clear that he knows how to build one. And in 2009 he will continue to add another brick to the wall. Bud will not miss this game...Nashville or no Nashville. And finally DB will have some competition that just so happens to come from its' own neighborhood. Kingsport will go on the map statewide.

So, when South is vacated in the not too distant future and many athletes from the Heghts attend DB will DB's stock raise exponentially? And when Graham Clark is gone will Stacy Carter follow in his footsteps as the head of Dobyns football? I'm sure more than a couple of administrators are considering that notion. For now...suffice to say that in the 3rd week in October Death Valley will hold a sold out crowd and blood will spill. Now, if we can just get a couple of basketball coaches. Rebel Nation

Premier tradition. Premier facitity. Some of the best fan support anywhere. But, don't you think they should at least win something before you crown them premier sport program in the state?

Premier tradition. Premier facitity. Some of the best fan support anywhere. But, don't you think they should at least win something before you crown them premier sport program in the state?

Premier SPORT(S) i.e. as in all sports.

Girls and boys. Not just the 4 big sports, ALL sports.

I grew up in Kingsport and went to a county school. From my middle school days (called Jr. High in 1968) until present day Dobyns Bennett has been in the playoffs in every sport once or twice in each four year span and many times been the dominant presence in that sport in that year. Take track for example. I think DB holds more state records than any other high school in TN. In many varied events. I can only remember a brief period in the early nineties maybe mid nineties when the football team was substandard. A local coach and retired principal and fellow teammate on my high school football team said to me, when my sons middle school team lost the county football championship to a team they had previously beaten in that year, all that matters is if you make it to the playoffs every year. If you can do that on a regular basis then you are doing good. Because sooner or later you will get to the top.

I feel it is safe to say that from the quarterfinals on up you are looking at the best teams in the state. And on any given night any one of them could beat each other. Most years there is a clear dominant team and usually can't be disputed but as well many times it is the luck of the draw. My point...getting there is the work...winning that final game? It is obviously the icing on the cake. But those that get there every year have something going on...whether they win it all or not. You cannot win at the 90% level in all sports for 40 years running (my personal lifetime experience with watching DB sports) and not have a premier sports program. From one coach to the next to the next to the next to the next sport to the next sport...and so on. Yes they are snobs. But Hades', after so many years of such a tradition what kind of banner do you give them? Honorable Mention? 'Cmon '03...even I can give them that respect. Do your homework...go dig...see which schools have even been around as long as DB...much less been as successful. It is what it is.

Premier SPORT(S) i.e. as in all sports.

Girls and boys. Not just the 4 big sports, ALL sports.

I grew up in Kingsport and went to a county school. From my middle school days (called Jr. High in 1968) until present day Dobyns Bennett has been in the playoffs in every sport once or twice in each four year span and many times been the dominant presence in that sport in that year. Take track for example. I think DB holds more state records than any other high school in TN. In many varied events. I can only remember a brief period in the early nineties maybe mid nineties when the football team was substandard. A local coach and retired principal and fellow teammate on my high school football team said to me, when my sons middle school team lost the county football championship to a team they had previously beaten in that year, all that matters is if you make it to the playoffs every year. If you can do that on a regular basis then you are doing good. Because sooner or later you will get to the top.

I feel it is safe to say that from the quarterfinals on up you are looking at the best teams in the state. And on any given night any one of them could beat each other. Most years there is a clear dominant team and usually can't be disputed but as well many times it is the luck of the draw. My point...getting there is the work...winning that final game? It is obviously the icing on the cake. But those that get there every year have something going on...whether they win it all or not. You cannot win at the 90% level in all sports for 40 years running (my personal lifetime experience with watching DB sports) and not have a premier sports program. From one coach to the next to the next to the next to the next sport to the next sport...and so on. Yes they are snobs. But Hades', after so many years of such a tradition what kind of banner do you give them? Honorable Mention? 'Cmon '03...even I can give them that respect. Do your homework...go dig...see which schools have even been around as long as DB...much less been as successful. It is what it is.

Thats where I fail. I can't remember to go far enough back to see where DB was good.

The football program has lost more home 1st round playoff games this century than any team. (the opponent was another regions struggling 4th place seed that lost the next game in the 2nd round). Thats not so premier. They have participated in the playoffs for 40+ years and have never made it to the championship game. Nothing premier there.

As for the non-football sports all I see around here from upper ET during region time is Science Hill. Take a look at www.tssaa.org and see how long its been since DB could have even been considered competitive.

Thats where I fail. I can't remember to go far enough back to see where DB was good.

The football program has lost more home 1st round playoff games this century than any team. (the opponent was another regions struggling 4th place seed that lost the next game in the 2nd round). Thats not so premier. They have participated in the playoffs for 40+ years and have never made it to the championship game. Nothing premier there.

As for the non-football sports all I see around here from upper ET during region time is Science Hill. Take a look at www.tssaa.org and see how long its been since DB could have even been considered competitive.

non football D.B. boys and girls have done better then any public highschools except for Oak Ridge and Farragut. D.B. have "15" team state champs ,Science Hill" 9" and south ,north , east, central and Tenn High combined "8" including the old sullivan west. from 1970 to 2008