Dyer County vs Dyersburg

mattfromdburg

The simple reason those kids transfered from Dyersburg a few years ago was Coach Brian Brown. If he had not played favorites he would have had those kids on his team and DC would have not been as good as they were. Brown dug his own grave he disrespected some players and parents through his actions. DC has always been the "County School" or "Redneck School". Yea the new school brought transfers and it will in almost every town around America. Let's not get into which school is better because of sports. Not really the way to judge a school. This is a trend in Tennessee and has been for around 5-7 years. Kids don't like the PT they are getting so they move years ago there was a pride in playing for your town. I wouldn't be surprised to see the TSSAA make more regulations when it comes to transfering. Many people have there ideas about McCord and that is there opinion but let's not bring the schools into this and say which is better because of sports. I wouldn't have shown my face in Dyersburg High School even though my mother wanted me to go there. DC is more relaxed and many people don't want there kids in an uptight enviroment.

nuff said.. DHS could have had the success DC has enjoyed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this "my school is better than yours gets on these threads everytime. if i had i nickel for everytime this happens, id be a rich man. the point is a great game was played friday night. the rivalry is fun, until people get on here and run there mouth childishly about how much better their schools are than the other. fridays game is over, lets move on. congrats to dc and good luck to dyersburg the rest of the year.

all this "my school is better than yours gets on these threads everytime. if i had i nickel for everytime this happens, id be a rich man. the point is a great game was played friday night. the rivalry is fun, until people get on here and run there mouth childishly about how much better their schools are than the other. fridays game is over, lets move on. congrats to dc and good luck to dyersburg the rest of the year.

I'm not real concerned about whose school is "better"....my gripe is people hopping on the threads after a good game from both sets of teams and slinging out the "R" accusation. The night before at the Northview/DMS game I sat part of the night on Dyersburg's side talking to relative's and some friends...one of whom's daughter cheers and the others daughters play for the middle and highschool. My nephew went with us to the highschool game...he will be in highschool next year at DC and he got to hang out with his friends from D-burg.....alot of these kids are friends and play sports together on teams during the summer. Sure they have a rivalry about this game...and they have a good time with it...as they do their own games they compete against each other in. Mattfromburg started a nice thread that was going fine until subtle accusations pop up. Gets to me because it TAKES AWAY from the success the kids at DC WORK for...yea WORK for. They deserve a little respect for the work they put into being a good team....and they do get it from many D-burg fans and fans from other schools....just a certain few.......

School choice should not involve sports. I went to dyersburg because I live in the city and most of my friends go there. If you live in the county, and most of your friends go to the county, then you should go to the county school!!! easy! We can debate each schools superiority for forever. I have some good friends at DC, and know they are getting a good education there. That said, I think Dyersburg has prepared me very well. I got a half scholarship to a very competitive school. Dyersburg has had students already admitted to Vanderbuilt and Duke this year. Academically I think Dyersburg is better then any school in the area except USJ, but obviously DC has its strengths too!

From a sports perspective, I can see athletes getting angry at lack of time. It really hurts competitive players to sit the bench knowing they can really contribute on the field. But switching schools is becoming far to common! It should only be an extreme last resort. Sometimes it does have to happen, and I know some athletes who've transferred who wanted to stay and win things for their own school very badly, but it just was never going to work. I stayed in Dyersburg to play ball because I'd rather represent the program that brought me up and bow out in Regions then go to State with a team i transfered to. Its an athletes job to improve their program they are in, not sulk cause they dont go undefeated or the coach doesnt appreciate them. Too many players see suiting up as a right rather then a privilege. This wasnt aimed at DC. Its just how I feel about players trading schools. There will always be a little fuzz from Dburg regarding the players leaving. But if they followed the rules then there shouldnt be a problem.

As for Dyersburg being stuck up, i think its harsh to judge the school over 3-4 coach Ters. There ARE good ppl at both schools.

Yes, DC should have a good season. I grew up with Rex, and wish him the best. We'll see if Dyersburg can build on the loss

i will say this about the whole transferring and recruiting thing and such... the first group of kids from D-burg (black, taylor, parr...) decided to sit out and transfer to DC when DC was not good at all... only 3 wins in each of previous 3 years so you cant say they did it just to be on the better team. As someone stated earlier, Coach Brown was at fault for that one and hence has been DC's best recruiter. However, I do have a problem when kids (often as the vicarious portal for their parents) transfer to a school that is/ has become a powerhouse just b/c they dont want to go to a school that may not be as good. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WANTING TO BE A WINNER, but we in society have placed waaaaay too much on just winning and not teaching kids how to make the best out of the situation. I'm not talking about kids moving b/c they are not getting the playing time they DESERVE like the first group of D-burg kids... totally agree with that. I'm talking about kids that would be or already are the main player (s) for their designated/ existing school moving just b/c they are good. How about being the reason a school makes it to greatness instead of just hopping on the bandwagon?!?!?!? How about learning to deal with tough times and severe lows in order to make you stronger as a person. I mean really, look at how the country has gone.... big reason is because the past generation has not learned to be tough and to perservere and to be TRUE leaders! We are a nation of bandwagon fans and bandwagoneers in general and nowhere is that reflected more than in ammature sports! We may not have won anything but I can guarantee that the young men that played for all 4 years at GC and stayed with it through all the mess are much stronger people for it!

As for recruiting there has been numerous allegations but no proof. As stated by numerous people numerous times kids will (unfortunately for high schoolers) migrate to very successful programs. I do have a problem and do not understand how with a kid doesnt even live in the COUNTY, much less the district and is allowed to play by TSSAA rules. As was my understanding they could only go to private schools if they were outside the district/county... not enroll as freshman in any school they wanted. That ruled was changed I believe my second or third year at GC after all the Humboldt vs. GC lawsuit stuff! At least thats what was told to me by my principal and AD.

all this transfer chat is getting old. all the threads talk about school spirit and going where one is zones like our school systems are a caste system. if you follow that logic, on graduation you would go to college in your immediate area and jobs in your cities where you were born. lol! we all know which players transferred to dc. i was told by the brother of one that he came to dc because he felt that that was where he would get his best shot at his best college offer. if that isn't a choice made for academic reasons, what is? anyone who is disrespecting these young mens' choices are doing it for selfish reasons. they are the people counting w's and l's. its very narrow minded to say these young men should honor their neighborhood schools and be a servant to where they where born! grow up people. they made choices they felt would improve their future and that's what adults do. they did nothing illegal or dishonest. you disrespect them with all this chat.

i will say this about the whole transferring and recruiting thing and such... the first group of kids from D-burg (black, taylor, parr...) decided to sit out and transfer to DC when DC was not good at all... only 3 wins in each of previous 3 years so you cant say they did it just to be on the better team. As someone stated earlier, Coach Brown was at fault for that one and hence has been DC's best recruiter. However, I do have a problem when kids (often as the vicarious portal for their parents) transfer to a school that is/ has become a powerhouse just b/c they dont want to go to a school that may not be as good. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WANTING TO BE A WINNER, but we in society have placed waaaaay too much on just winning and not teaching kids how to make the best out of the situation. I'm not talking about kids moving b/c they are not getting the playing time they DESERVE like the first group of D-burg kids... totally agree with that. I'm talking about kids that would be or already are the main player (s) for their designated/ existing school moving just b/c they are good. How about being the reason a school makes it to greatness instead of just hopping on the bandwagon?!?!?!? How about learning to deal with tough times and severe lows in order to make you stronger as a person. I mean really, look at how the country has gone.... big reason is because the past generation has not learned to be tough and to perservere and to be TRUE leaders! We are a nation of bandwagon fans and bandwagoneers in general and nowhere is that reflected more than in ammature sports! We may not have won anything but I can guarantee that the young men that played for all 4 years at GC and stayed with it through all the mess are much stronger people for it!

As for recruiting there has been numerous allegations but no proof. As stated by numerous people numerous times kids will (unfortunately for high schoolers) migrate to very successful programs. I do have a problem and do not understand how with a kid doesnt even live in the COUNTY, much less the district and is allowed to play by TSSAA rules. As was my understanding they could only go to private schools if they were outside the district/county... not enroll as freshman in any school they wanted. That ruled was changed I believe my second or third year at GC after all the Humboldt vs. GC lawsuit stuff! At least thats what was told to me by my principal and AD.

What are your thoughts on John Hudson? Just curious.

all this transfer chat is getting old. all the threads talk about school spirit and going where one is zones like our school systems are a caste system. if you follow that logic, on graduation you would go to college in your immediate area and jobs in your cities where you were born. lol! we all know which players transferred to dc. i was told by the brother of one that he came to dc because he felt that that was where he would get his best shot at his best college offer. if that isn't a choice made for academic reasons, what is? anyone who is disrespecting these young mens' choices are doing it for selfish reasons. they are the people counting w's and l's. its very narrow minded to say these young men should honor their neighborhood schools and be a servant to where they where born! grow up people. they made choices they felt would improve their future and that's what adults do. they did nothing illegal or dishonest. you disrespect them with all this chat.

That is an outstaning post!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The big guy's mother was hired in Union City and moved to Newbern from Halls. The red head, John Hudson was an eight grader at Spring Hill who enrolled at DCHS. I guess when you have a good program it attracts good players.

Correction the big guy's mother was hired at the G-Year plant some almost 15 yrs now and had prevously lived in the Halls area for all of that time until last summer when she moved to Newbern. So it is not like she just got that job perhaps she was tired of the long commute....

What are your thoughts on John Hudson? Just curious.

Let me start off by saying this... both he and his brother are GREAT people... great young men. Also, my decision to leave GC was made WELL BEFORE ANY OF THE TALK ABOUT JOHN THINKING ABOUT GOING TO DC so I have ABSOLUTELY NO GRUDGE OR WHATEVER. Anyone that knows me knows that if i'm nothing else i'm am brutally honest and i simply call em how i see em... guess thats why i'll never be a good politician.

Two fold... he was the one i was reffering to from completely outside of the county being allowed to go. I had at least 10 kids from Trenton and Humboldt wanting to come to GC over the past 4 years (believe it or not) but they were not allowed so how can a kid that doesnt even live in the COUNTY much less district be allowed to attend? Im mainly making that arguement from a TSSAA rules point of view. As for the decision there is no doubt DC is the better choice but my whole point. He will definately get more attention from colleges there as I know his brother and others from GC the past few years got NO LOOKS no matter how many calls I made or tapes i sent out... took several to try outs and camps personally. I know his parents did not like how the athletic dept at GC was run from the top and anyone that knows me and my ordeal knows I can surely agree with the Hudsons on that issue. This is also true of a very big family in the GC system of which the mother and father were both principles at two jr highs but chose to send their BOY to USJ b/c "the athletics at GC were not good enough." Not just basketball but all the three major sports. And the funny thing is nobody at the school board or the supt ever said a single thing. GC system was good enuff to pay you two fat salaries but not good enuff for you son????...... sorry, if i had been in charge they'd be gone to USJ with their kid! How is GC ever really going to turn the corner when some of the best athletes and players leave? However I can not fault Mr. and Mrs. Hudson for making the decision to send their kid to what they believe was the best choice for him personally! Its really kind of complicated. THere is no one clear-cut right or wrong answer... its more of a moral/ ethical question for me.

I have all the respect in the world for Trey TATE at GC b/c he had a chance to go somewhere else and play for a better baseball team but stayed! He is getting recognition and will play i college and through the down seasons is becoming a more resilient leader and person.

Think about it... nobody likes quiters right?????? You hardly ever see people quit when their team is doing great... very rare indeed! But teams that struggle deal with people quiting quite a bit... the ones that dont quit dont have good or strong character. Anybody can be on a winning team... takes real guts to stick it out through the BS... Take CJ Crittendon... I'm sure he could have gone to D-burg as a freshman and joined blake and company (EVERYONE KNOW HOW DOMINATING THEY WERE GOING TO BE) and took the easy road, but i know he is a great kid and a commited young man and went to DC even though he knew they were going to really struggle.

As for for the comment by Jackeddie, you need to think about what you say. How in the heck can you compare colleges to high school???? Colleges are SUPPOSED to recruit. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT AMATURE atheletics where the fields are supposed to be as even as possible. I mean that was one of the dumbest comments i've ever heard on here. I can assure you I am not: 1) making disrepectfull comments towards any kid and their decision and 2) my statements are not made for selfish reasons or personal reasons.

DOES ANYONE ON HERE NOT UNDERSTAND THE POINTS I'M MAKING? I mean i'm not putting DC or MCCord down at all.... I mean heck, what is he gonna tell a great player that wants to come there "no, no.... dont come?" No!!!!!!! heck I talked with him at the Haywood game for 10 mins or so and told him the EXACT same thing I've said on here about "out of the county being allowed to play", but made it clear that I was not pointing fingers and him or DC or saying he recruits or anything else. Lets keep in mind here that EVERYONE ON HERE KNOWS WHO I AM... i dont hide behind some username and make comments I dont have to be held accountable for b/c nobody knows its me. If i say it on here i'll say it to anyones face! I do my best to make sure I give my honest OBJECTIVE views on things from what i know. I am simply saying that I dont think our kids are TRULY benefiting from just running to the good teams and its our societies fault bc we have really gone away from the real values sports are supposed to teach us... LOYALTY, determination, hard work, humility, courage, resilliance, etc... (and no i'm not saying DC's or anyone elses team that gets a lot of transfers dont work hard or have courage and such so b/f any of you knitpickers get on to fire off on that use your brain first, if it wont cause to big of a headache, and really think about what i 'm saying) Thats much the same as a man leaving his wife of 10 or 20 years and running off with a younger more attractive woman b/c she is better to look at and more fun.... or how about this mr. jackeddie... your woman leaving you for a rich guy b/c he can buy her all the things you cant.... THATS A MUCH BETTER and more parrallel analogy than your little "college" comment. So i guess thats fine then huh? THey have more money, more fun, looks better. GO BACK AND REALLY READ AND THINK ABOUT MY PREVIOUS POST... I can assure you there are no hard feelings in anyway on my side.

We also just had a girl transfer to OC and her dad WAS on the school board at GC! What's that saying as a parent?????

They want their daughter to be happy maybe????? I AM NOT as a parent going to send my child to a school they are gonna be miserable at.....not saying that girls is...just making a point. Could also be construed as ....what is that saying about your school??????