Did Riverdale cheat?

MIDTN

Maybe the parents were not taking pictures of just the coach. Maybe they were taking pictures of the coach and the players leaving the coach's house/apartment as in maybe they were living there. What else would they be able to turn into the TSSAA?

First off neither one of them live with her. Second I hate to inform you but it is not illegal for a player to go over to a coaches house, as in to watch some extra film or strategize or even to work on recruiting for the college ranks. All of these are legal, and it's ridiculous that someone's parents would be this angry that their daughter wasn't playing and to go off and do what they've done.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There seem to be many things wrong about this whole situation. Wrong, not from Riverdale's point of view but the way it has been handled by the media and now from a number of fans not knowing the facts. Last March, this whole situation started a series of events that caused problems at Indy and at that point, posts were on this site that others wanted to transfer to Rutherford due to the athletic situation in Williamson. Having one of the most promineint AAU programs in Rutherford made it appealing as evidently players from Williamson were playing in that Club. That club had noting to do with the aforementioned Club that Coach Maxwell alledgely at one time used to help with. The story was and never denied, that the Basketball Coach at Riverdale elected not to Coach there after the conditions were not agreed to and when looking at the best prospect, it was decided that Hillary Maxwell unamiously was to be asked her interest either formally or informally. The position was so prominent, at the right time she accepted and set of a series of events at Indy tht didn't end until August. Rumors persisted after the end of school that two players had left Indy and had transferred to Riverdale and had moved. It was only discovered the names a little later. Posted on this site were others who felt like the opportunities were better in Rutherford. That was very obvious with as many players playing College/University Basketball there. Information was also given at that time that at least one of those players was playing with the Club in Rutherford and maybe the other. Again, this was not the Club that Coach Maxwell was at one time allegedly associated with. Girls Basketball was not as highly thought of in Williamson as Rutherford. As I remember, it was posted that the two players had already moved by the last of June. It mentioned that one of the parents situation was liquid and could move any time. The other was not mentioned. The current Coach at Indy was also said to be associated with the Rutherford Club.

Nothing was said about the moves further and while some expected further things to be said, nothing else was mentioned about the moves until now in January. A lot of people knew ###### of this was going on from March thru August but nothing was ever said. As i remember, the things mentioned on this thread were mentioned and the ways it would have to be done. Whether this got to the TSSAA level I'm not sure but it was mentioned.

As has been posted, Rutherford County has followed Coach Maxwell for the past 5 years or more. She eats and breathes basketball. As a coach, her mode of operation is to be involved with her players and has kept many young players out of trouble with her efforts. Its been her life. It's not unexpected to hear her trying to motivate players to do better. Its not unexpected to hear of her trying to keep kids out of gangs. Basketball is her other life.

It is somewhat unnerving, before the facts are even in, to have the news organizations not only run articles and life size pictures before the gillitine even drops but run for selling papers sake, information that might not be true. Its expected though for those associated with DivisionII to jump in the middle of it before the facts even come out. They are marketing their schools. They may be, in the long run, marketing Riverdales athletic program. We'll see. Riverdaleman may be right.

Ronnie Carter will find the facts and do what is necessary. Its time for High School Sports to clean itelf up and IMO could start with the TSSAA looking at the Transfer rules and since most parents at this time know how to skirt the rules to help their player play where they want to play, make sure it doesn't go any further. No matter the area of the state, it seems to go further. And that is all divisions.

This will play out. What will happen will happen. No one is going to influence it before RC gets thru with it. the newspaper said RC said it was only an inquirey. The information went to the school, to the main office, to the TSSAA. With nothing being said about the matter until now made me think it was approved beforehand but thinking back, it couldn't have been. I do agree with MidTenn. This needs to be comsumated very quickly and the facts come out. What happens does happen. But if throughout the state, rules are being violated to get kids in the schools they want to be in, find some way tg enforce compliance or an easier way for parents to send their kids to the schools they want them to be in. without going thru the gyrations, if indeed they are and I don't think they are as much as might be stated.

Right now, only using the papers facts, Riverdale does not appear to have done anything wrong but unless the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed at time of transfer the questions are there. Hillary Maxwell usually does that along with the Administration of Riverdale. All of these other matters likely are not considered by TSSAA in that likely nothing was said about those. The new AD at Riverdale certainly has his hands full this first year. Continual rezoning in the Boro continues to bring up how to handle questions in a fast growing area. Students moving in and out of the area and in and out of private schools and in and out of state makes, I'm sure, interesting situations. The larger schools certainly have to keep up with the trend.,

There seem to be many things wrong about this whole situation. Wrong, not from Riverdale's point of view but the way it has been handled by the media and now from a number of fans not knowing the facts. Last March, this whole situation started a series of events that caused problems at Indy and at that point, posts were on this site that others wanted to transfer to Rutherford due to the athletic situation in Williamson. Having one of the most promineint AAU programs in Rutherford made it appealing as evidently players from Williamson were playing in that Club. That club had noting to do with the aforementioned Club that Coach Maxwell alledgely at one time used to help with. The story was and never denied, that the Basketball Coach at Riverdale elected not to Coach there after the conditions were not agreed to and when looking at the best prospect, it was decided that Hillary Maxwell unamiously was to be asked her interest either formally or informally. The position was so prominent, at the right time she accepted and set of a series of events at Indy tht didn't end until August. Rumors persisted after the end of school that two players had left Indy and had transferred to Riverdale and had moved. It was only discovered the names a little later. Posted on this site were others who felt like the opportunities were better in Rutherford. That was very obvious with as many players playing College/University Basketball there. Information was also given at that time that at least one of those players was playing with the Club in Rutherford and maybe the other. Again, this was not the Club that Coach Maxwell was at one time allegedly associated with. Girls Basketball was not as highly thought of in Williamson as Rutherford. As I remember, it was posted that the two players had already moved by the last of June. It mentioned that one of the parents situation was liquid and could move any time. The other was not mentioned. The current Coach at Indy was also said to be associated with the Rutherford Club.

Nothing was said about the moves further and while some expected further things to be said, nothing else was mentioned about the moves until now in January. A lot of people knew ###### of this was going on from March thru August but nothing was ever said. As i remember, the things mentioned on this thread were mentioned and the ways it would have to be done. Whether this got to the TSSAA level I'm not sure but it was mentioned.

As has been posted, Rutherford County has followed Coach Maxwell for the past 5 years or more. She eats and breathes basketball. As a coach, her mode of operation is to be involved with her players and has kept many young players out of trouble with her efforts. Its been her life. It's not unexpected to hear her trying to motivate players to do better. Its not unexpected to hear of her trying to keep kids out of gangs. Basketball is her other life.

It is somewhat unnerving, before the facts are even in, to have the news organizations not only run articles and life size pictures before the gillitine even drops but run for selling papers sake, information that might not be true. Its expected though for those associated with DivisionII to jump in the middle of it before the facts even come out. They are marketing their schools. They may be, in the long run, marketing Riverdales athletic program. We'll see. Riverdaleman may be right.

Ronnie Carter will find the facts and do what is necessary. Its time for High School Sports to clean itelf up and IMO could start with the TSSAA looking at the Transfer rules and since most parents at this time know how to skirt the rules to help their player play where they want to play, make sure it doesn't go any further. No matter the area of the state, it seems to go further. And that is all divisions.

This will play out. What will happen will happen. No one is going to influence it before RC gets thru with it. the newspaper said RC said it was only an inquirey. The information went to the school, to the main office, to the TSSAA. With nothing being said about the matter until now made me think it was approved beforehand but thinking back, it couldn't have been. I do agree with MidTenn. This needs to be comsumated very quickly and the facts come out. What happens does happen. But if throughout the state, rules are being violated to get kids in the schools they want to be in, find some way tg enforce compliance or an easier way for parents to send their kids to the schools they want them to be in. without going thru the gyrations, if indeed they are and I don't think they are as much as might be stated.

Right now, only using the papers facts, Riverdale does not appear to have done anything wrong but unless the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed at time of transfer the questions are there. Hillary Maxwell usually does that along with the Administration of Riverdale. All of these other matters likely are not considered by TSSAA in that likely nothing was said about those. The new AD at Riverdale certainly has his hands full this first year. Continual rezoning in the Boro continues to bring up how to handle questions in a fast growing area. Students moving in and out of the area and in and out of private schools and in and out of state makes, I'm sure, interesting situations. The larger schools certainly have to keep up with the trend.,

Once again, your post has one or two comments that make no sense. For example, Div II has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. Your comment to that vein is totally uncalled for and denotes a warped opinion on your part. As I posted before, time will tell, but it only took two or three sentences to say it. My greatest hope is that the innocent don't suffer too much and resolution is swift. No surprise whatever the outcome. Mistakes are made from time to time willful or not, if not true, great, lets hope it is cleared up quickly. But again, any poster can make a comment on this thread and no one is jumping in (to use your words) unless of course you control this web-site. If that is the case, let me know. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

The allegations, if true, indicate a high degree of arrogance of ALL involved.

I find it hard to believe that anyone associated with such a high profile program, or any program for that matter, would risk penalizing an entire program(i.e. innocent players) with this kind of behavior.

I know it goes on, but to try and skirt the rules in the name of athletics is serioulsy misguided in my opinion.

I certainly hope Haislip(sp) plays tonight, I don't think Maxwell would risk it if she didn't feel that everything is above board.

I would think this would be legal. You said they invited all girls from McFadden. I'm assuming a jr. hgih school; therefore, all girls who attend the school are entitled to listen on behalf of the open house information. Those girls can either attend or not attend. As far as attending the Riverdale game (openhouse), the parents can then approach the coaches and ask questions. Since the parents went or approached them, all is legal. Then it would be up to family to move to proper zone or get zone exemption. Could be wrong, but I've heard this junk for years and TSSAA just turns their back because they can't police it legally.

Is this not what the football team got in trouble for by inviting local middle school students to spring practice?

First off neither one of them live with her. Second I hate to inform you but it is not illegal for a player to go over to a coaches house, as in to watch some extra film or strategize or even to work on recruiting for the college ranks. All of these are legal, and it's ridiculous that someone's parents would be this angry that their daughter wasn't playing and to go off and do what they've done.

So. what pictures would have been taken? If. and I emphasize "if", they were pictures of a player leaving with the coach at 7:30AM with a book bag then that is explainable?

WOW i do not know where to begin with all the incorrect information in this thread so i will do a little at a time

1. there were only 2 transfers from independence and not 3

2. 1 transfer has quit the team as she did not make the starting line up and her playing time was limited so instead of continuing to be on the team and struggling with a foot injury that never would heal right she quit and she lived with her parents in the inns brooke condos i think they told me but i forgot

3. Jaclisas parents and grandmother is at every game so if they are driving from the independence area to watch their child play they would do better just moving here

4. I personally talked to one of the parents and they came because of how much they liked coach Maxwell and well she did with the players so they chose to move her and it was their daighters CHOICE they told me that their daughter went to them and wanted to come to RIVERDALE with coach maxwell I do not know if coach maxwell asked her first or if she approached coach maxwell first and that will be hard to prove either way so i am going to trust that it was done the right way

5. mjuhb you are usually right on with the way things go but in this case you are inaccurate...a parent can go to the coach and talk to the coach and the coach can sell his or her school BUT the coach can not approach the student or parent if they are not in their zone

6. as far as the open house it is perfectly legal to invite feeder schools for a open house and show the facilites it is up to the child if they come if my kids were given a chance to go to oaklands open house my kids wouldnt go

7. the only thing that is really going to come out of this is a 4 page thread on coach T

I am guessing 7 or 8 pages. But that is just a wild guess.

EDIT: The first line of this post is all that was meant for riverdaleman. I did not intend to appear like I was ripping him or anyone else in this post. Please read carefully, and with the knowledge that I am just hoping that everyone is very mindful that we are talking about kids that are still in HS. And even when we are talking about the parents, it still reflects directly on the kids. When she show up in class the next day, or in the gym on Friday night, the kids still have to answer for the actions of their parents/coaches. Carry on.

I do not have a stake in any of this, and I certainly will not pass any judgement in either direction (that is not my business) but I want to give one kind word of caution to both sides in this:

1) Please be considerate of the families on both sides. One side will be right, one side will be wrong, but both sides are being accused. There is damage that is being done whether it is intended or not. Real lives are being affected here.

2) Please do not make accusations without some sort of proof, hopefully documented proof, to go with it. If you can link a news article, please do.

3) Please post as if YOUR family was on the other computer. I realize there are some hard feelings in these kinds of things, but things that are said on message boards DO INDEED get back to the people that they are said about.

Whether you like or dislike the people involved, there is a certain amount of respect that everyone is due. Please handle this thread appropriately.

I have always enjoyed reading the posts from most of you in this thread. I have a great deal of respect for you folks. I hope things work out here. Good luck on this, and in the future.

GatorBill

(I have two "transfer -v- don't transfer" stories that I will tell sometime. One involves my kid, one involves a fella named Earvin that went to my HS. Very good, and enlightening stories)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ--YAWNNNNNNNNN--ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I am guessing 7 or 8 pages. But that is just a wild guess.

I do not have a stake in any of this, and I certainly will not pass any judgement in either direction (that is not my business) but I want to give one kind word of caution to both sides in this:

1) Please be considerate of the families on both sides. One side will be right, one side will be wrong, but both sides are being accused. There is damage that is being done whether it is intended or not. Real lives are being affected here.

2) Please do not make accusations without some sort of proof, hopefully documented proof, to go with it. If you can link a news article, please do.

3) Please post as if YOUR family was on the other computer. I realize there are some hard feelings in these kinds of things, but things that are said on message boards DO INDEED get back to the people that they are said about.

Whether you like or dislike the people involved, there is a certain amount of respect that everyone is due. Please handle this thread appropriately.

I have always enjoyed reading the posts from most of you in this thread. I have a great deal of respect for you folks. I hope things work out here. Good luck on this, and in the future.

GatorBill

(I have two "transfer -v- don't transfer" stories that I will tell sometime. One involves my kid, one involves a fella named Earvin that went to my HS. Very good, and enlightening stories)

I like all the people involved so their was no intent to slander someone or put someone down...if that appears that way please let me know where and i will correct that...when it came to the players iwas just refferring to them not living with the coach and how the one of the families came about their decision to come to RIVERDALE

everyone knows who RIVERDALEMAN is so i do post knowing the kids and coaches see it so i do watch what i post as at times i have a kid come up to me and tell me thanks and i have football coaches that dont like me anymore lol I usually tell the kid before i put it on here as they know that I love them so if you let me know where i may have been inappropriate in my previous post like i said let me know and i will edit it

The girl was NOT kicked off the team. She had a hissy fit and QUIT when she lost her starting position to a better player.

I have to admit y'all are almost as fun to watch as Football fans. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Mention R'dale and most already assume we are guilty. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

As you can tell from my screen name I'm not intending to be a regular around here. Plus the typo on the screen name /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

From your posts in this thread it seems like you know more about this than most of the conjecture on this topic. But not everything (nor do I). I do happen to know the parents of the girl who quit and who are pressing the issue as well as knowing the girl very well. I'm not going to get into everything I know about this issue. But I will say that there is more to it than anyone who as posted here realizes from what I have heard.

What I will say is I'd bet that the young lady did not throw a hissy fit. I know her quite well and that would be WAY out of character. She is a heck of an athlete and is a hard working, non-complaing, disciplined and sweet young lady. I will also say, that when healthy, she's a darn good player and could start on many teams. I also know she agonized over the decision to quit. She had foot surgery (as someone else stated earlier) and it was still sore. I also, from my information, understand that coach Maxwell was not treating her very well (which included limiting playing time but that is not the whole story). I guess I share this to have some of you think about how you paint her on these boards. Especially since you really don't know what is going on.

My opinion is that the parents are pressing the issue more because of HOW coach Maxwell treated their daughter. Not that she wasn't starting. Now, it is also my opinion that if it were me, knowing some of the things I know, I probably wouldn't press the issue so hard. But that's me. Different strokes...

As far as the recruiting allegations, there are things out there that were not covered in the press that could make the case interesting. I refuse to go into details, but there is more there than folks who have posted here know. That said, keeping in mind that I am hearing my info from one side of the fence and even I don't know that whole story, I don't know if they will find recruiting violations or not. That's where the stalking allegations came in. The parents' were collecting evidence of what they thought was going on. We'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is.

ciao /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i just have to say i only follow williamson county teams but since there is a connection here i just wanted to say a few things. first if i were a player and my family was willing to move, heck i would have left and followed coach maxwell. second, i am sure coach and the parents were very careful in making sure it was all legit so i am confused as to why there are any questions. everyone knew they were leaving by the beginning of the summer. i have watched both these players before and jaclissa is the real deal and ashley was a hard worker and a pretty good athlete. that being said, i am surprised the lotts are doing this to coach maxwell. ashley is a good player but with an injury i am sure her playing time suffered. as hard of a worker as she is, i am sure she would only get BETTER under coach maxwell. i dont remember her really playing that much last year for indy but she must have been happy or she would not have moved. she would have been the star at indy this season. i hope all this gets over quickly and i pray that this does not get in the way of the great year riverdale is having. hope to see riverdale in the state come march! good luck to all involved....

on a side note...any ideas as to where jaclissa will play college ball? i am sure they are beating her door down!

Recruiting in high school is difficult to prove. If the parents of the player make a legitimate move so their child can play for a different school or a different coach, it is not illegal. It's a sacrifice for the whole family, but if thats the choice they make, they can do that. I hope the parents realize the gravity of the charges they are making against this young coach. Sometimes stories like these take a life of their own, and much damage is done to all parties involved. You've got to wonder how the girl in question feels about this whole situation now.