Rwood Searching for New HC?

IndyNation

"This happens on the eve of a season where Rector's Raptors were going to be the odds-on favorite in middle Tennessee."

You can't be serious!

If anything, I have heard that he has picked a great time to leave Ravenwood due to the fact that the cupboard is somewhat bare compared to previous years there.

Smells fishey, sort of like a big SHAD, Smyrna SHAD that is.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rector is a fine, fine football coach. He did an absolutely great job with a new program.

How about Aydelott from Riverdale as a replacement. He still lives in that area somewhere doesn't he?

Aydelott has 2 kids at Ravenwood but the Wing T would be a disaster there as they don't have the personnel to even attempt it. However, the principal will do the hiring and that's a scary proposition in itself as she has absolutely no athletic IQ whatsoever. Whoever is hired will have to teacher a full classload, so it limits canidates who want to primarily or exclusively coach instead of primarily teach and also coach.

Part of the talent drop-off has been Rector's refusal to put together a freshman team. You just need an opportunity for the young guys to get their feet wet all together and assimilate into the school's culture as a unit. It is such a large jump from being a 15 year old stud to competing against 18 year old guys who've been pumpin weights and playing ball.

Maybe the new coach will see things differently.

And DAD1, you just need to move them into the house next to VY that you will buy for your daughter to insure they go to the right place!

As an RHS supporter from the jump, I have seen the program both with and without a freshman program. The year my son played freshman ball was really a waste. It doesn't fully prepare them for varsity football near as much as playing JV. Yes, they will be playing soph and some juniors, but at Ravenwood, you will almost always be playing teams with better size and speed athletes so you better get used to it. Rector gave soph a chance to prove themselves at least on varsity special teams and many turned this into regular playing time at the varsity level. If an 18 yo is playing jv, he probably HASN'T been pumping wts and playing ball or he would be playing Varsity. When a freshman program is in existance, it has a tendency to be separated from the varsity players and by eliminating freshman ball, Rector brought freshmen into the fold with varsity players so they could be mentored. Those who chose not to take advantage of the mentoring or special teams opportunity, well that's on them. Who knows what the new coach will do, whatever the decision, I will support them.

Interesting take, but I take the other side of the argument. I've seen good freshman teams with good coaches that prepared their players well in making the jump. I have seen lousy freshman coaches with good players totally screwed up the opportunity to learn and prepare. I have seen freshman lumped into the mix with the varsity that wasn't real good and pay a huge physical price(the ultimate disaster movie). Good coaching is THE most important element in freshman ball. JV coaches don't spend the time in my experience really working with the players to where the improvement is noticeable.

After watching all of the mixes, it has been my opinion that a good freshman coaching staff dedicated solely to preparing freshman for high school football is the best option on a number of levels. By playing against other frosh squads, they can adequately gauge their progress against peers, as well as develop a real class identity. It is very important for the player who is not yet up to par physically. As you know, growth spurts are all over the place in the 9th grade. For those "late bloomers" it is very beneficial. Sometimes, a very talented freshman is elevated up to the JV level to see how he performs. Most times he will be over his head physically if not mentally. In talking with other coaches, this is a preferred method as well.

Rector didn't do it after Jack left for reasons only he knows. If everyone else is doing it, it must have some merit.

Interesting take, but I take the other side of the argument. I've seen good freshman teams with good coaches that prepared their players well in making the jump. I have seen lousy freshman coaches with good players totally screwed up the opportunity to learn and prepare. I have seen freshman lumped into the mix with the varsity that wasn't real good and pay a huge physical price(the ultimate disaster movie). Good coaching is THE most important element in freshman ball. JV coaches don't spend the time in my experience really working with the players to where the improvement is noticeable.

After watching all of the mixes, it has been my opinion that a good freshman coaching staff dedicated solely to preparing freshman for high school football is the best option on a number of levels. By playing against other frosh squads, they can adequately gauge their progress against peers, as well as develop a real class identity. It is very important for the player who is not yet up to par physically. As you know, growth spurts are all over the place in the 9th grade. For those "late bloomers" it is very beneficial. Sometimes, a very talented freshman is elevated up to the JV level to see how he performs. Most times he will be over his head physically if not mentally. In talking with other coaches, this is a preferred method as well.

Rector didn't do it after Jack left for reasons only he knows. If everyone else is doing it, it must have some merit.

How was the Ravenwood JV squad? What where the coaches like? Did the freshmen get to play? Did any juniors get to play? Is every situation different?

must be close to vest to protect interested candidates or its an inside job

Why do I all of a sudden start hearing Merle Haggard playing The Dukes of Hazzard Theme Song!

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Say hello...to the BADGUY!

Why do I all of a sudden start hearing Merle Haggard playing The Dukes of Hazzard Theme Song!

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Say hello...to the BADGUY!

I know what you're getting at (i.e. good ol' boys); however it's just hard for me to associate Ravenwood with the Dukes of Hazzard.... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know what you're getting at (i.e. good ol' boys); however it's just hard for me to associate Ravenwood with the Dukes of Hazzard.... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know. It was just the first thing that poped up! Besides it is a funny thought..."never meaning no harm" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />