9AA

junior1

You are correct about CPA. A disappointing year (at best) with some of the best talent you'll ever see on one high school team. One could only gather that these guys are a little burned out and set back by injury and fatigue. Last time I saw them play there was just no "beating of the chest" (so to speak). No fire.

It's not to late for them though. Crunch time is almost here. I know they can do it. They have the talent and the coaching to go deep in the post season.

I know one thing its not the coach's fault. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know one thing its not the coach's fault. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

In a sense, but the "buck stops here". Translating talent into results is the coach's job and challenge. It's not all about X's and O's. I sometimes wonder if coaching the same good players for several years that know they have won a starting job inhibits your ability to motivate them to give 110% and improve every day.

I do believe one problem is that Mason is not playing to impress college coaches anymore.

In a sense, but the "buck stops here". Translating talent into results is the coach's job and challenge. It's not all about X's and O's. I sometimes wonder if coaching the same good players for several years that know they have won a starting job inhibits your ability to motivate them to give 110% and improve every day.

I do believe one problem is that Mason is not playing to impress college coaches anymore.

Hard to argue this point because you are likely correct. In high school, I still remember going to the locker room each game day to see who the posted starting lineup was that night. Never a guarantee. Problem is, there is no way to sit any of the main players and still win late in the season. Not to be critical, but the depth is just not there and has never been since Miller, Anderson, and Mason all got to the starting lineup their sophmore year. Honestly, the most impressive games these three guys played were last year.

It's not to late. I still think these CPA guys can pull it off. I'll bet we're in for some serious fireworks. Z knows this is it and I'll bet he explodes from here on out. That loss to Hume Fogg will "awaken the giant". I can tell you for sure that Maddux will not quit coaching these guys. Play a little "D", make some freethrows, take care of the ball and you may be surprised at what happens in the post season for CPA.

Normally I don't like to post, just a reader. But I'm sorry, this one needs another view.

Disappointment is always a comparison to expectations and I think that it can rob these guys of what has been accomplished. And there is still opportunities ahead.

If you know anything at all about this team, you will have to know that they have had a good year in spite of on the court injuries/illnesses and off the court struggles that were unavoidable. That is not an excuse at all. but it is reality.

I love watching CPA athletics and have been doing so for a long time. CPA has great coaching and excellent team hustle and chemistry. They have a lot of positives including a very healthy school environment. But please, they have never had exceptional talent. Zac Mason is incredible, no one doubts that. They have two very good high school basketball players to go around him. But after that, there is nothing athletically impressive about them. Before you get on me about this, I have great respect for them as players, but I do not see college level talent, size, quickness, speed, ball handling etc.

This team is missing some key seniors from last season and it is hard to live up to what may have been a little lofty of expectations. That is a human nature and we all know that.

I don't know who CPA4ever is, but I disagree with the comment about coaching chemistry thing. That is a big assumption unless you know of locker room or behind the scene things that we are not privy to.

We are getting too quick these days to lay blame on coaching. I don't know why. But I will tell you that I would be hard pressed to judge anyone working with 15,16,17 year old kids. Who can do that with consistent good calls?

You win, hooray. You lose, problems. Why does it always have to be such an extreme?

I say to CPA, thanks for letting me watch you. Chunk the pressure of expectations and have fun. Time is running out and you will be like me. Shooting baskets at the Y and wishing I was 17 again.

Normally I don't like to post, just a reader. But I'm sorry, this one needs another view.

Disappointment is always a comparison to expectations and I think that it can rob these guys of what has been accomplished. And there is still opportunities ahead.

If you know anything at all about this team, you will have to know that they have had a good year in spite of on the court injuries/illnesses and off the court struggles that were unavoidable. That is not an excuse at all. but it is reality.

I love watching CPA athletics and have been doing so for a long time. CPA has great coaching and excellent team hustle and chemistry. They have a lot of positives including a very healthy school environment. But please, they have never had exceptional talent. Zac Mason is incredible, no one doubts that. They have two very good high school basketball players to go around him. But after that, there is nothing athletically impressive about them. Before you get on me about this, I have great respect for them as players, but I do not see college level talent, size, quickness, speed, ball handling etc.

This team is missing some key seniors from last season and it is hard to live up to what may have been a little lofty of expectations. That is a human nature and we all know that.

I don't know who CPA4ever is, but I disagree with the comment about coaching chemistry thing. That is a big assumption unless you know of locker room or behind the scene things that we are not privy to.

We are getting too quick these days to lay blame on coaching. I don't know why. But I will tell you that I would be hard pressed to judge anyone working with 15,16,17 year old kids. Who can do that with consistent good calls?

You win, hooray. You lose, problems. Why does it always have to be such an extreme?

I say to CPA, thanks for letting me watch you. Chunk the pressure of expectations and have fun. Time is running out and you will be like me. Shooting baskets at the Y and wishing I was 17 again.

Great post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good post, but you overstated my criticism, and misunderstood my points.

First of all, I doubt if you have watched CPA as long or as much as I have, but that is a moot point. I am not any more of an expert than probably you or many others, which is not much.

My only point was not to criticize the coaching, because I am a big fan of the coaches (especially the aspects of how they teach values, not just ball); however, the CPA team has not met its potential this year- that is a fact. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, and I believe one is that when you are relying on 4 of 5 starters whose position is not in jeopardy regardless of their performance then you are at the mercy of those players getting complacent, physically and mentally.

With that said, I am not saying the players are lazy or don't care. They are great kids who have worked hard and want to win. I am saying part of coaching is helping players not only meet their playing potential, but also meet their potential in terms of the mental and motivational parts of the game. As far as talent, they have plenty of talent to win against the competition they play if they put things together every night.

I agree, they should have fun and not feel pressure, but that is a pollyanna attitude that no longer exists in sports. The kids want to win worse than we pressure them to do so. But they need to be totally prepared, physically and mentally, each night. They are too young to sometimes understand that fully, so it is up to the coaches to teach them how.

That's all I am saying on the matter. I love CPA, the coaches, and players, and I am behind them 100%. Like you say "Time is running out and you will be like me. Shooting baskets at the Y and wishing I was 17 again." That is reason enough for them to meet their potential, because they don't want to look back with regrets when it is all over, and too late to do anything about it.

Good post, but you overstated my criticism, and misunderstood my points.

First of all, I doubt if you have watched CPA as long or as much as I have, but that is a moot point. I am not any more of an expert than probably you or many others, which is not much.

My only point was not to criticize the coaching, because I am a big fan of the coaches (especially the aspects of how they teach values, not just ball); however, the CPA team has not met its potential this year- that is a fact. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, and I believe one is that when you are relying on 4 of 5 starters whose position is not in jeopardy regardless of their performance then you are at the mercy of those players getting complacent, physically and mentally.

With that said, I am not saying the players are lazy or don't care. They are great kids who have worked hard and want to win. I am saying part of coaching is helping players not only meet their playing potential, but also meet their potential in terms of the mental and motivational parts of the game. As far as talent, they have plenty of talent to win against the competition they play if they put things together every night.

I agree, they should have fun and not feel pressure, but that is a pollyanna attitude that no longer exists in sports. The kids want to win worse than we pressure them to do so. But they need to be totally prepared, physically and mentally, each night. They are too young to sometimes understand that fully, so it is up to the coaches to teach them how.

That's all I am saying on the matter. I love CPA, the coaches, and players, and I am behind them 100%. Like you say "Time is running out and you will be like me. Shooting baskets at the Y and wishing I was 17 again." That is reason enough for them to meet their potential, because they don't want to look back with regrets when it is all over, and too late to do anything about it.

You both make great points. This would be true of any team. Here's the point guys....."BRING IT".....if you don't someone will. CPA may have gotten the shaft last year by the TSSAA but one thing is for sure.....we left it all on the court at the end. There was nothing left.

CPA beats East Lit. by only 4 AT HOME on SENIOR NIGHT and HOMECOMING. Wow!

DL won, so who is #1 seed in the District tourney? Anyone know?

East Lit played the only way you could. They slowed the game down to a crawl, showed a lot of patience, and shot the ball pretty well. CPA still prevailed but it wasn't pretty.

Just no fire in the belly for CPA. No fire in the crowd, the team, or even the student body. Drew got a technical....at least he's fired up. What in the world has happened?

East Lit played the only way you could. They slowed the game down to a crawl, showed a lot of patience, and shot the ball pretty well. CPA still prevailed but it wasn't pretty.

Just no fire in the belly for CPA. No fire in the crowd, the team, or even the student body. Drew got a technical....at least he's fired up. What in the world has happened?

I think you are looking at good ole' burn-out at the end of the regular season. This is the point when teams either hit their stride or fold-up and go home. I don't see CPA folding-up. They don't have the fire under them like last year, and I think a previous poster's point about Z signing to play football vs. basketball may have some truth to it. I still think it is his senior year, and he wants to go out a winner. The seniors on all the teams are facing the same situation... They are ready to graduate and go on to the next phase of their lives. The team that manages to stay focused and REALLY want every win will pervail.

David Lipscomb really looks to be hitting their stride of late, and I'm hopeful they can carry that momentum into the tournament. Regardless, CPA and DL will be one of the four teams representing 9AA in the regional. Maybe they are saving their gas for that run... let's hope so! This is the point in the season where coaching really becomes important. You have to keep those seniors focused and hungry!!

Thanks for such a great rivalry and keeping us entertained!