state next year

eaglewrestling84

Where are some good place that we could have state and change it up from clarksville and utc. Since everyone talks about different place we could all have them together. If you know of any post them.

Ill start

west-

middle- williamson county ag center seats over 4,000 with 3,000 optional temporary seating it has a 150 by 300 foot arena and i have heard that if you talk to them early enough they dont charge to hold events

east-

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This facility was looked at a couple of years ago when TWF was trying to secure a national tournament. When set up for duals with a 150 x 300 foot floor, you could set up 5 mats along each side of the venue with 10 feet between mats and 1 mat on each end for a donut configuration (we estimated we could fit 16 mats for a tournament configuration). Seating would be in front of the mats and there would not be any long distance mats that you have to watch through to see your kid's team. The head table area could be set up in the middle of the arena. Also the warm-up room is large enough to accomodate a couple of mats. Great seating (chair back), great viewing angles, ample parking and hotels, more centralized location, no preceived home gym advantage.

3 questions

1. Who is going to run the event? Clarksville has done a great job in the adminstration of the event. (concessions, programs, floor control, hospitality, point person for communication for teams coming in)

2. Along those lines who is going to prepare the bid package to try to get the event? To get something like this event relocated, a team needs to be formed with a leader who is willing to do the work needed to make it a solid proposal to TSSAA.

3. Will the plan to hold the tournament in this venue GUARANTEE that the TSSAA will make more money?

This facility was looked at a couple of years ago when TWF was trying to secure a national tournament. When set up for duals with a 150 x 300 foot floor, you could set up 5 mats along each side of the venue with 10 feet between mats and 1 mat on each end for a donut configuration (we estimated we could fit 16 mats for a tournament configuration). Seating would be in front of the mats and there would not be any long distance mats that you have to watch through to see your kid's team. The head table area could be set up in the middle of the arena. Also the warm-up room is large enough to accomodate a couple of mats. Great seating (chair back), great viewing angles, ample parking and hotels, more centralized location, no preceived home gym advantage.

3 questions

1. Who is going to run the event? Clarksville has done a great job in the adminstration of the event. (concessions, programs, floor control, hospitality, point person for communication for teams coming in)

2. Along those lines who is going to prepare the bid package to try to get the event? To get something like this event relocated, a team needs to be formed with a leader who is willing to do the work needed to make it a solid proposal to TSSAA.

3. Will the plan to hold the tournament in this venue GUARANTEE that the TSSAA will make more money?

3 answers

1. The Science Hill folks have some experiance running tournaments, albeit on a smaller scale, but they certainly appear capable and I would wager they are eager for the opportunity to prove themselves. As no one has ever disagreed the Clarksville folks do a fine job, perhaps they would lend a hand and consult for the SH people if more expertise is needed.

2. You overstate and over complicate this " bid " process. They have the building to handle the event which in the minds of many puts them way ahead of Clarksville. I say we just dust off whatever " bid package " Clarksville submitted and work from there.

3. What " guarantee " does T$$AA have now and why does it have to be "more " money ? We won't know until we try but I can't help but think ( and would be willing to wager ), a larger, more comfortable venue will increase revenue. If it is more money we are after ( as opposed to grabbing at straws and hoping inertia keeps C-ville as the eternal host ) then expand the tournament. Simple equation :

more teams = more parents, friends, family butts in the seats=more food consumed=more money.

Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City will hold over 5000, has room on the main floor for 6 mats, has an auxiallary gym which could hold 2 or 3 mats and has other areas available to make things comfortable for warming up, food, etc. I don't think there is a bad seat in the place. Wheelchair access is good and there is more than enough parking. Info on the Hall can be found at http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/index.php?page=home-12 .

I speak for none of them but I understand that there is interest on the part of the Chamber of Commerce, The Johnson City Wrestling Club (which handled the Fandetti Brawl for the past 9 years including this year in the Hall) and the group that operates the Hall who I understand is willing to be very flexible.

Where are some good place that we could have state and change it up from clarksville and utc. Since everyone talks about different place we could all have them together. If you know of any post them.

Ill start

west-

middle- williamson county ag center seats over 4,000 with 3,000 optional temporary seating it has a 150 by 300 foot arena and i have heard that if you talk to them early enough they dont charge to hold events

east-

MTSU would be a great venue,,,and TOOT'S sounds good year around.

CC

3 answers

1. The Science Hill folks have some experiance running tournaments, albeit on a smaller scale, but they certainly appear capable and I would wager they are eager for the opportunity to prove themselves. As no one has ever disagreed the Clarksville folks do a fine job, perhaps they would lend a hand and consult for the SH people if more expertise is needed.

2. You overstate and over complicate this " bid " process. They have the building to handle the event which in the minds of many puts them way ahead of Clarksville. I say we just dust off whatever " bid package " Clarksville submitted and work from there.

3. What " guarantee " does T$$AA have now and why does it have to be "more " money ? We won't know until we try but I can't help but think ( and would be willing to wager ), a larger, more comfortable venue will increase revenue. If it is more money we are after ( as opposed to grabbing at straws and hoping inertia keeps C-ville as the eternal host ) then expand the tournament. Simple equation :

more teams = more parents, friends, family butts in the seats=more food consumed=more money.

Where in the charter does it say that the TSSAA is supposed to be a "for profit" entity?

According to the handbook:

Section 2. The purposes of the corporation shall be as stated in the Charter of Incorporation and, in addition, to stimulate and regulate interscholastic athletic competition among the member schools in accordance with the standards established by those schools in the TSSAA Bylaws.

Section 3. The mission of the TSSAA is to serve its members by providing leadership and coordination for the administration of interscholastic athletics, which will enhance the educational experiences of students. The TSSAA will promote participation and sportsmanship to develop good citizens through interscholastic athletics, which provide equitable opportunities, positive recognition and learning experiences to students while maximizing the achievement of educational goals.

Also, in connection with state tournaments:

After all expenses in connection with the holding of the state tournaments in... wrestling have been paid, the retention and/or disbursement of any remaining funds shall be determined by the Board of Control.

Ill start

west-

east-

the problem with the ag center is that it's booked year round. you'd be hard-pressed to see if the date would be open for the duals. My old coach looked into it for regionals or our tournament, but it's just that their booked almost every weekend.

I think, maybe not for state or state duels, but for freestyle and greco romen when its warmer, that it would be interesting to have the tournement in an outdoor stadium such as the liberty memorial stadium. That would definately help out west tn when it comes to wrestlings popularity over here. Considering it isn't as embraced like it is over in chattanooga and the rest of east tn.