TSSAA OFFICIALS

BEARCLAW

$55 and an OPEN BOOK TEST. PLEASE. Sure, you too can REGISTER to become a TSSAA official for $55 and the successful taking of an open book test. It's not like it stops there though. Dues to the local association you join, mandatory attendance of state rules meeting yearly and attendance of a minimum of 5 local association meetings. What you fail to see farmer is the fact that most officials suffer before they get to the varsity level. Two years MINIMUM of leaving work early, traveling long distances to officiate one, maybe two junior varsity games or middle school games. Then there's the $175.00 required to attend a TSSAA sanctioned officials camp at least every three years to be eligible to work post season. The time away from their families for minimal pay. All these things are very rewarding. NOT!!!!!!!!!! Let me not forget all the AAU tournaments and games during the summer...more time away from families. All this to get to work varsity high school basketball (and some new officials never get to work varsity games)...I would venture to say that MOST officials try to learn the game and officiate to the best of their ability. Realize I did say MOST. There are those out there who are what you guys describe. Just like there are bad police officers, bad salesmen, bad doctors, bad lawyers and bad accountants. Just like the careers I described above, officials are held to a standard. They're supposed to go out there, listen to all the crap they put up with, officiate basketball and all of this for the great pay of $80.00 for two varsity games. That may cover gas and help out a little at Christmas, but let's be realistic. In closing, let me say that I truly believe that most officials try to their best of their ability to officiate effectively and allow the kids to dictate the outcome within the rules of the game. Let's give them a break and realize there is a learning curve with newer officials. They are trying. And yes, I am an 11 year official of varsity HS basketball just throwing in my two cents. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Ok, if thats thats what you have to sacrifice to be an official then why not atleast try to learn the game and how it is played! I saw two terrible officials last night! One guy would throw his hand up when he thought he saw a foul but wouldnt blow the whistle. It was obvious that he didn't know what to call and the other called a pump fake a walk when the players feet never moved! He must have made that call three or four times lastnight. The third official called a great game. he was very consistant on both sides! I had to calm some of our fans down when the veteran official would make a call and tell them that he made the right call. So hats off to that guy whoever he was.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two experienced officials would never be watching the area covered by the third guy. They would have no idea what was going on where the foul was called, or not called, because they would be too busy watching their own area. Sorry to shoot down your theory.

You don't have three guys out there watching the ball for 32 minutes. You have three guys watching their area of responsibility. Its almost funny how everyone who complains about officiating actually knows very little about it.

It is also almost funny how most officials do not understand how to paly the game!!!!!

It is also almost funny how most officials do not understand how to paly the game!!!!!

i have a queston about a call made the other nght and i am not sure about it so if anybody could help me out i would appreciate it. a player was going out of bounds and grabed the ball and called time out while still in the air. i thought that rule had changed in high school ball am i right or wrong!!!

Ok, if thats thats what you have to sacrifice to be an official then why not atleast try to learn the game and how it is played! I saw two terrible officials last night! One guy would throw his hand up when he thought he saw a foul but wouldnt blow the whistle. It was obvious that he didn't know what to call and the other called a pump fake a walk when the players feet never moved! He must have made that call three or four times lastnight. The third official called a great game. he was very consistant on both sides! I had to calm some of our fans down when the veteran official would make a call and tell them that he made the right call. So hats off to that guy whoever he was.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Again, since I started this mess, I want to say thank you to all those officials who take the job seriously and do a good job. No one can expect more than the best a player has to give, and we don't need to expect more than that from the officials. I also attended a game last night where again...as you have said.....there was one experienced official and two JV/Upward Basketball officials. The experienced guy had his hands full, and DID override a couple of calls that the "rookies" let slip. They didn't miss the calls, they just plain old didn't call them. Let's have a little more accountability for the officials to help those who are "doing the job", and weed out the "third legs" that are messing up the game.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Again, since I started this mess, I want to say thank you to all those officials who take the job seriously and do a good job. No one can expect more than the best a player has to give, and we don't need to expect more than that from the officials. I also attended a game last night where again...as you have said.....there was one experienced official and two JV/Upward Basketball officials. The experienced guy had his hands full, and DID override a couple of calls that the "rookies" let slip. They didn't miss the calls, they just plain old didn't call them. Let's have a little more accountability for the officials to help those who are "doing the job", and weed out the "third legs" that are messing up the game.

You keep bashing Upward with your comments and I bet you have never had any experience with Upward. I have coached Y ball, Upward ball and AAU ball when my kids got older. I had many Upward teams that would have beaten my Y teams. Many of these players are playing high school basketball and two are now playing in college. I take your comments offensive as you want character in basketball refs while defaming a good organization. While I feel Upward is great for younger players, the Y league and then AAU are better for the older players, but I would not make light of the contributions done for character by this organization. Yes, there are bad refs and it would be nice for the coaches to have a little more involvement in evaluating these guys. If you want to see bias refs, just play any Cleveland area team with an outside team. These guys are good, but very bias and can throw a game quick if you get up too much on their area teams... which is not easy as they have great teams in that area. For my final comment... just call these guys clowns and quit bashing organizations devoted to building character.

You keep bashing Upward with your comments and I bet you have never had any experience with Upward. I have coached Y ball, Upward ball and AAU ball when my kids got older. I had many Upward teams that would have beaten my Y teams. Many of these players are playing high school basketball and two are now playing in college. I take your comments offensive as you want character in basketball refs while defaming a good organization. While I feel Upward is great for younger players, the Y league and then AAU are better for the older players, but I would not make light of the contributions done for character by this organization. Yes, there are bad refs and it would be nice for the coaches to have a little more involvement in evaluating these guys. If you want to see bias refs, just play any Cleveland area team with an outside team. These guys are good, but very bias and can throw a game quick if you get up too much on their area teams... which is not easy as they have great teams in that area. For my final comment... just call these guys clowns and quit bashing organizations devoted to building character.

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" BattleCat, climb off your high horse and show a little sense on here. Never in ANY of my posts have I bashed or talked down to or about Upward Basketball. My comments were intended to indicate that the level of skill necessary to officiate in the Upward organization/younger players was below the level of an official calling a game at the high school level, and I will stand by that assertion regardless of how you read my post. Your arrogance is astounding. I have the utmost respect for the Upward organization and those who coach and lead these young kids to learn to play sports with sportsmanship and learn the basic skills that later in life make them excellent athletes. You, sir, go in the clown category with the "third leg" officials. Please learn to read and understand what you read before you remove all doubt as to your level of understanding on this post. How dare you accuse me of bashing the Upward program. Never once did I say anything negative about the Upward organization, and never once will I. You, however, need to learn to read or just plain post somewhere else. My apologies to everyone else.

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" BattleCat, climb off your high horse and show a little sense on here. Never in ANY of my posts have I bashed or talked down to or about Upward Basketball. My comments were intended to indicate that the level of skill necessary to officiate in the Upward organization/younger players was below the level of an official calling a game at the high school level, and I will stand by that assertion regardless of how you read my post. Your arrogance is astounding. I have the utmost respect for the Upward organization and those who coach and lead these young kids to learn to play sports with sportsmanship and learn the basic skills that later in life make them excellent athletes. You, sir, go in the clown category with the "third leg" officials. Please learn to read and understand what you read before you remove all doubt as to your level of understanding on this post. How dare you accuse me of bashing the Upward program. Never once did I say anything negative about the Upward organization, and never once will I. You, however, need to learn to read or just plain post somewhere else. My apologies to everyone else.

Hey BEARCLAW. What is your take on how some of these officials " BAIT" players into frustration with bad calls? Case in point Cornersville/Culleoka game. Ref made a bad call on one of the Culleoka players and then smiled at him as if he was trying to say " how do you like that". Kid then claps for the ref and gets a T. Player then claps agian and gets another T then followed by another T. It was obvious he was picking on the kid. As for the charachter of the player in question He is a good kid and is not one to run off at the mouth to the officials.

ok. Your comments about bad or inexperienced referees coming from Upward do seem derisive, as if refs can't be good if that's where they've been working. No, you didn't exactly say that Upward is bad, but it certainly seems that you are putting the program down. --and I can read just fine.

Hey BEARCLAW. What is your take on how some of these officials " BAIT" players into frustration with bad calls? Case in point Cornersville/Culleoka game. Ref made a bad call on one of the Culleoka players and then smiled at him as if he was trying to say " how do you like that". Kid then claps for the ref and gets a T. Player then claps agian and gets another T then followed by another T. It was obvious he was picking on the kid. As for the charachter of the player in question He is a good kid and is not one to run off at the mouth to the officials.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> leadfarmer, I know exactly what you are talking about. We have dealt with an official who does basically the same thing with certain players, but I've also seen them "bait" coaches with a bad call, then make sure they stand in front of the coach and taunt them with looks and little grins like you mentioned. One coach in our area was pushed that way and the coach looked up in the stands at his principal. The principal gave him the "thumbs up" to go ahead and take the T, which was his second, and wrote a personal check for the fine. But, lest we bring the ire of some, let's be fair and say that most of the officials don't do this. I still think most do a good job. It's that small percentage of the group that make it rough on the rest. But, it makes me mad over what it does to the kids. They practice and play their hearts out only to have all that hard work damaged by one of these "third legs". I'm glad someone else sees these things go on besides me.

i have a queston about a call made the other nght and i am not sure about it so if anybody could help me out i would appreciate it. a player was going out of bounds and grabed the ball and called time out while still in the air. i thought that rule had changed in high school ball am i right or wrong!!!

They definitely need to learn what a jump stop is. If I see one more ref call a walk because they are usually shocked when it happens I may just go drop the 55 and take the test myself. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="