TSSAA OFFICIALS

BEARCLAW

Went to a game the other night, and saw some great play out of 4 of the starters for one team. But boy, that 5th starter, man he was bad. I bet he had 8 turnovers, went 0-7 from the field and 0-4 from the free throw line. He needs to quit playing basketball, we should replace him with one of the guys on the bench, or heck, lets just play 4 on 4 instead.

Listen to yourselves. I'm not trying to bash the "good" officials, only the "bad" ones. I would be willing to bet that every "good" official that you've seen has had a few bad games in their career. I bet when they started out they were one of the so-called "third-legs" that you all keep referring too. I do not officiate any sport, but have a ton of respect for the guys and gals that put on the stripes and step out onto the floor. I've been in gyms before where it seems that people pay their $5 just to get in the gym and yell at the refs. All of the frustrations from their day/week at work or home has built up so now they just let it all rain down on a 20 something year old referee who is trying to learn how to referee the game. Are there some bad officials out there who don't know the game? Sure there are, but i would be willing to bet that they don't go out there trying to screw over one team and have a "biased" opinion as to who should win the game. The reason these guys are working high school basketball and not on the level you are saying they should be working is because of the lack of officials. All I can say is if you think you can do better, and you want to weed out those "third-legs" get out there and do it. Someone posted earlier how to become a registered ref, get out there and show us all how it is done.

You are a moron if you think that there isn't a few officials out there on a power trip just because what they say on the floor is set in stone and the coach nor they player can do nothing about it! When your alarm clock wakes you up from your fairy tail world let us know! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a moron if you think that there isn't a few officials out there on a power trip just because what they say on the floor is set in stone and the coach nor they player can do nothing about it! When your alarm clock wakes you up from your fairy tail world let us know! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So 6 pages of "Lets get rid of the bad refs", but lets keep the good ones as you as judge and jury? From what I have read you have offered no legit solutions. Only whining and name calling. Come on Leadfarmer take the test be an official.

But we all know you want. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So 6 pages of "Lets get rid of the bad refs", but lets keep the good ones as you as judge and jury? From what I have read you have offered no legit solutions. Only whining and name calling. Come on Leadfarmer take the test be an official.

But we all know you want. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ok make them take a closed book test instead on an open book test. put them in a game type stiuation and see how well they fair! Make them prove that they know when to make a call before you put them into a real game! You must be one of the officials that BEARCLAW and the rest of us are talkin about!

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Ok make them take a closed book test instead on an open book test. put them in a game type stiuation and see how well they fair! Make them prove that they know when to make a call before you put them into a real game! You must be one of the officials that BEARCLAW and the rest of us are talkin about!

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> You know, everyone has made some excellent comments throughout this discussion, well everyone except the accusation that I was bashing Upward Basketball for which I have the utmost of respect....not only for the coaches, but the officials and everyone else involved. Those officials who are doing their best to keep the game "what it is supposed to be" need to be commended, and there is no way to show them the appreciation they deserve. Those marginal officials the WE judge to be marginal, just need a little "encouragement" from those who evaluate their performance to just "step things up a little". They deserve some appreciation as well, and a little slack ever now and them when a bad call happens. But, these officials who truly are out there on a "power trip" need to be removed. I would never advocate any disciplinary action on ANY official on the complaints of a couple of disgruntled coaches. But when the same officials receive the same complaints over and over and over....well you get the idea, then something needs to be done. Send them back to JV or elementary ball for a while to "hone" their skills a little. Those who receive complaints year after year need to be dismissed completely. I don't want to be unfair to those officials who are doing their best to keep things within the rule book, and that was NEVER my intention when I started this thread. But, there are a couple of officials I have watched over the past few years who have no business being on the court. It's just a matter of time until they let something go and tempers flare on the floor. That's the same as taunting a player into a T-foul. Once more, to all you officials who are going above and beyond, who do not receive the respect and appreciation you deserve, thank you for making this sport better ever game. To those out there on your "power trips", it's just a matter of time. Somewhere along the way, you will "pick on" the wrong coach/player, and we will finally be rid of you. Untill then, we still have the "blackball"!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Basketball's not my sport.....But we put up with your kind in my sport as well.

You see leadfarmer, I work with a lot of younger refs in my sport (12 to 16 years old). For some they find out earlier that officiating was not to their liking and thats OK. But a year doesn't go by that we lose good potential refs, because of over zealous parents/fans whose only purpose in life seems to be criticizing the ref in a youth rec game. In a game I might add that is a learning experence for players and refs. So you see LF, I have no tolerance or respect for those people. And you come across as one of those parents...

Now when your coach gets on here and wishes to complain I'm sure we will listen. But coaches don't complain on Coacht. Why? Because they complain directly to the official's association and handle it through the proper channels. But when fans complain...it comes across as whining.

My best advice is to let your coach handle it. .........But I doubt you will /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Basketball's not my sport.....But we put up with your kind in my sport as well.

You see leadfarmer, I work with a lot of younger refs in my sport (12 to 16 years old). For some they find out earlier that officiating was not to their liking and thats OK. But a year doesn't go by that we lose good potential refs, because of over zealous parents/fans whose only purpose in life seems to be criticizing the ref in a youth rec game. In a game I might add that is a learning experence for players and refs. So you see LF, I have no tolerance or respect for those people. And you come across as one of those parents...

Now when your coach gets on here and wishes to complain I'm sure we will listen. But coaches don't complain on Coacht. Why? Because they complain directly to the official's association and handle it through the proper channels. But when fans complain...it comes across as whining.

My best advice is to let your coach handle it. .........But I doubt you will /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Put up with my kind????? This is a thread about bad refs not the ones who do the best job each and every night and make sure they are as fair as they possibly can be! As long as they are being fair and unbiased I have no problem with that and I do understand that calls will be missed but hey who is perfect? I have no respect for an official that is all about "lets make the game about me" and you sir come across as one of those ppl. If a player commits a foul and the ref makes the right call i will stand behind the call 100%! Take football for instance...I saw a play where a kid was facemasked so bad that he was looking through his ear hole in his helmet when he got up... said play happened on the sideline right in front of the ref and no flag was thrown! The coaches complained and the ref politely smiled at the coach and gave him a 15 yard penalty! Thats the kind of officials we are talking about!

You can think what you want of me I don't care! Your ignorance on this topic is what leads me to believe that you are infact one of the "power trip" officials and you oppinion on this matter will never change! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Can we come up with similar requirements for coaches and players, clock operators and scorekeepers, cheerleaders and dance teams, or maybe the fans and Coach T posters? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Or just refs because you simply don't like them? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Can we come up with similar requirements for coaches and players, clock operators and scorekeepers, cheerleaders and dance teams, or maybe the fans and Coach T posters? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Or just refs because you simply don't like them? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I have no problem with the refs at all!!!!! Without them it would be just another AND1 game! I just have a problem with the arrogant ones who care nothing for the kids because that is what the game is about right or am i wrong?

Put up with my kind????? This is a thread about bad refs not the ones who do the best job each and every night and make sure they are as fair as they possibly can be! As long as they are being fair and unbiased I have no problem with that and I do understand that calls will be missed but hey who is perfect? I have no respect for an official that is all about "lets make the game about me" and you sir come across as one of those ppl. If a player commits a foul and the ref makes the right call i will stand behind the call 100%! Take football for instance...I saw a play where a kid was facemasked so bad that he was looking through his ear hole in his helmet when he got up... said play happened on the sideline right in front of the ref and no flag was thrown! The coaches complained and the ref politely smiled at the coach and gave him a 15 yard penalty! Thats the kind of officials we are talking about!

You can think what you want of me I don't care! Your ignorance on this topic is what leads me to believe that you are infact one of the "power trip" officials and you oppinion on this matter will never change! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Fair enough LF....apparently your coach handled it, and recieved a 15 yard pentlty??? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I wish you good luck of ridding "Bad Refs"

Fair enough LF....apparently your coach handled it, and recieved a 15 yard pentlty??? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I wish you good luck of ridding "Bad Refs"

Glad you find that funny!

Thank you your Highness for giving me your best wishes it is such an honor /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

i think that with great power(officiating) comes great responsibility. I officiated a few games in my day and it is difficult. WHY?

because no matter what call someone loses.

and I also agree that the quality of refs has started to wane. lets encourage instead of decourage.

who knows maybe those third legs just nee confidence like the athletes that they officiate

I guess I will just be a moron then. The good refs move on and move up in the world of officiating. The bad ones, or the so called 3rd legs, will keep hanging around high school basketball. Why? Because there aren't enough out there to cover every game, thus these guys/gals that pay their money, take their test get to go out on a Tuesday or Friday night and referee. Are they bad? Probably. Can you do anything about it but whine and complain on a message board? Probably not. Until you can convince the TSSAA to compete with the pay of college games, I doubt you will convince any of these so-called better refs, to stick around high school basketball very long.

Have you sent in your money and gotten your test yet? I believe they have their camps in the summer. It's not too late for you LF. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />