District 13 AA Championship

beavo5

WOW! What a thread this has turned into. Bashing upon bashing. Sounds like time for me to express my thoughts. Whether you like 'em or not, here they are.

1. I don't think it should matter where a kid goes to school. If a kid gets "recruited" away as some claim, then I wouldn't want them to be on a team where they weren't happy. Wouldn't want to coach them either. Not as a diss to the kid, but because they will never play to their potential at a school where they don't want to play.

2. Some folks need to sit back and be fans of their school and stop riding the coat tails of these young student athletes. If an athlete's choice of schools is the biggest bone in your throat, you have it made for life. But this is their time, a choice of families, and should not be a situation that defines a school system's programs. If I sent my child to a different school purely because of sports, that's my decision. I personally gave my kids a choice of UC or OC. Both chose OC. I attended OC for 2 years before moving out of state. Wife is an OC graduate. Still, had they chosen UC, I would have had to put on that ugly purple and gold and support them whether anyone else liked it or not.

3. I am not a DC fan or hater. I am an OC fan. Most of OC's sports programs have fallen on hard times. But I would rather see the kids play where they want to be in school than to force them to be unhappy. I for one don't like DC, their recent successes have been at OC's expense along with so many others. But guess what, I don't like D'burg, GC, Westview, UC, Milan or anyone else they whoops up on the Rebels! Has nothing to do with any claims of recruiting.

4. It does appear that SOME of the DC fans are arrogant beyond excessive. So are SOME OC fans. Every program has SOME fans that way. And I agree that some on here act as though anyone who doesn't praise DC is a DC hater. I don't see that as the case. But arrogance breeds beligerance and there is plenty of both on these boards.

5. I don't post very often on here, but I read daily. And I think the name of the site should be changed from "CoachT" to "Grown Ups Gone Wild" or "Basher Central". Would be nice to log on occassionally and see a conversation about sports, instead of accusations, complaints and bashing. Not taking up for DC here, I think some of them are the most guilty. But, then again, what would I know? I'm justaOCfan. Our football team is 0-20, basketball boys are inconsistent, basketball girls are rebuilding, baseball and softball are middle of the pack or so, tennis/golf/cross country I couldn't say. But what I can say is ~ GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! What a thread this has turned into. Bashing upon bashing. Sounds like time for me to express my thoughts. Whether you like 'em or not, here they are.

1. I don't think it should matter where a kid goes to school. If a kid gets "recruited" away as some claim, then I wouldn't want them to be on a team where they weren't happy. Wouldn't want to coach them either. Not as a diss to the kid, but because they will never play to their potential at a school where they don't want to play.

2. Some folks need to sit back and be fans of their school and stop riding the coat tails of these young student athletes. If an athlete's choice of schools is the biggest bone in your throat, you have it made for life. But this is their time, a choice of families, and should not be a situation that defines a school system's programs. If I sent my child to a different school purely because of sports, that's my decision. I personally gave my kids a choice of UC or OC. Both chose OC. I attended OC for 2 years before moving out of state. Wife is an OC graduate. Still, had they chosen UC, I would have had to put on that ugly purple and gold and support them whether anyone else liked it or not.

3. I am not a DC fan or hater. I am an OC fan. Most of OC's sports programs have fallen on hard times. But I would rather see the kids play where they want to be in school than to force them to be unhappy. I for one don't like DC, their recent successes have been at OC's expense along with so many others. But guess what, I don't like D'burg, GC, Westview, UC, Milan or anyone else they whoops up on the Rebels! Has nothing to do with any claims of recruiting.

4. It does appear that SOME of the DC fans are arrogant beyond excessive. So are SOME OC fans. Every program has SOME fans that way. And I agree that some on here act as though anyone who doesn't praise DC is a DC hater. I don't see that as the case. But arrogance breeds beligerance and there is plenty of both on these boards.

5. I don't post very often on here, but I read daily. And I think the name of the site should be changed from "CoachT" to "Grown Ups Gone Wild" or "Basher Central". Would be nice to log on occassionally and see a conversation about sports, instead of accusations, complaints and bashing. Not taking up for DC here, I think some of them are the most guilty. But, then again, what would I know? I'm justaOCfan. Our football team is 0-20, basketball boys are inconsistent, basketball girls are rebuilding, baseball and softball are middle of the pack or so, tennis/golf/cross country I couldn't say. But what I can say is ~ GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you God!!!!! Been waiting for a post like this...of course we can have arrogant fans...as you know all schools do. The "r" word thing just gets very old....95% of topics that include DC it gets brought up in....the topic can be on a game and WHAM! that gets thrown in. There are fans from different schools that I don't care for and am sure some don't care for me....this is about kids though and I have nothing against any child from any school....and I do not care which school they choose to attend. I don't care WHO doesn't like us....just that the accusations need to come to an end. I could post till my fingers bled about things I have heard about other schools, name the schools, name the kids by name...but why??? Wouldn't prove anything..... it would only provoke.

Haha, its all down to choice. End of the day thats what it is. You can disagree with it, you can not support players moving, but its their choice. I personally think its a little funny to talk of people sending kids to the best high school when we are in rural west TN! There's really not much difference. Yes, some schools have better academics and some have better sports or campus's, but a succesful student at Ripley will probably be a success at Obion too. And i dont think choice limits you. I doubt the parents and kids went on tours and really evaluated the schools. They just went where the basketball was, whether recruited or not. I think we are treating high school too much like college! If you move, duh you probably got to change schools, no denying that. Someone mentioned the player from morristown earlier, its his choice to go here too. It probably made sense cause he lives .5 of a mile away from the school! Baseball didnt occur to him, he wanted to go where he thought he could get the best education and where his friends are. And his parents moved, its not like somebody drove to morristown and asked them to send their kid here. The main thing is that was a big move, like 6 hrs difference. Its the little moves, like just across lines specifically for the purpose of transferring that id have a problem with.

As for the people saying that if DC was not succeeding then nobody would say the R word, Teams that recruit usually succeed. If not they need a new recruiter. That said, i think DC has profited immensly from Mccord, he has really brought their program along. Now, I wouldnt trade a year of eleibibility for anything, but some kids have decided to do it, and its worked out for them! No problem there!

Do i think it matters where a kid goes to school? Yes and No. If they abide by TSSAA guidlines, as it seems the case is, then no. Best of luck to you! But if they didnt then yes. Its not fair to the kids who play by the rules. Maybe im old fasioned, but i still just think where you grow up is where you should go to school unless you go private, the school is unsafe, or other extreme mesures

The sad thing is, most ppl at these schools dont give a hoot about the R word, or who won coach of the year, or who wins district every year. I just want to watch my classmates and friends play their best, represent our school well, and get good experiances while doing it! And yes a few W's along the way is always nice! Few athletes will play college, so its the experiances the athletes have to use to further their lives. DC and Dburg basketball have represented their schools so well! It means more to me to dress out and put on the armband in my sport then to hoist a gold ball. How bout congrats to the schools on an awesome year, and lets see how the post season goes!

That's what I thought! So see, the door swings both ways! And from what I've heard there is a female attending one of the 13AA district schools with a supurb record that actually lives in a different school zone.......so folks need to let it go.

My guess is that if the athlete wasn't that good or didn't start or if the student was on the academic decathalon team there wouldn't be such a stir.

I understand on a couple 13AA teams that a couple girls have to check their jersey color to remember who their teammates are this year /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

From a private school parent, I am quite enjoying this thread. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Of course, I better enjoy it this year, because I will be on the road to Memphis next year to play district games and will have no time to read posts !

I don't think all DC fans are out of control, but beavo, you give them a bad name on here. You are out of control.

NO WAY! I'm defending my team.... Try it sometime! Want me to just sit back and allow idiots to talk bad about my team! NO WAY! If you don't like it, I DON'T CARE! I speak my mind & will continue to speak it! The "R" word gets OLD, especially after the TSSAA ( I REPEAT) the TSSAA themselves said NO WRONG DOING IS OCCURRING AT DC!!!!! Why don't you get on them for saying that after being proven? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Let me be the 1st Choctaw to say Coach Haskins got exactly what he deserved! 2nd place in the district!

You are the biggest idiot on this this thread with adsmom86 being a close second.

Coach Haskins could care less about the COY award as well. It means nothing. All individual award mean nothing because they are not accomplished without help. This is not golf or bowling where it is the individual who is responsible for winning or losing, this is a team sport.

Coach Haskins, Westview, and all the other 13AA teams could care less about this crap. If i know McCord, he thinks all of you are a bunch of idiots as well and if he knew you would say it to your face.

You are the biggest idiot on this this thread with adsmom86 being a close second.

Coach Haskins could care less about the COY award as well. It means nothing. All individual award mean nothing because they are not accomplished without help. This is not golf or bowling where it is the individual who is responsible for winning or losing, this is a team sport.

Coach Haskins, Westview, and all the other 13AA teams could care less about this crap. If i know McCord, he thinks all of you are a bunch of idiots as well and if he knew you would say it to your face.

I never got on here one time and bashed Haskins or the WV team...I stood and clapped for every award given. Where at any time did I speak about Coach Haskins in a bad manner???? I am very big on sportsmanship and quite frankly was embarassed when people booed for whatever reason....please do not refer to me as an idiot. My biggest argument on here has been the recruiting accusations and people that feel they know better for someone else's child. Maybe you should reread the entire thread. I have said good things about the WV team...with the Lloyd bros. being 2 of the best players in the district. McCord does know me and has never called me an idiot...he is a real nice guy and I think highly of both him and his wife.

I think he should go to college. Then you could say the nasty "R" word and not have to beat around the bush! I'm sure everyone of these kids from other places all woke up one morning and said "hey I want to go to Dyer County". You can say all you want about "No wrong doing", but somebody put the ideal in these kids head. I'm not saying it was the coach, I'm not saying it wasn't the coach. I don't know who it was, but it was somebody. You don't see kids suddenly going to Union City which has had by far more success than Dyer County.

Your exactly right. Someone put it in the minds of the parents. Most parents are not going to listen to their kids at that age when it comes to a big decision like that.

Union City has won five (5) Gold Balls in A and AA with kids born and bread right there in UC. And also had the following of supporters that you see at DC games today. I will give credit to DC fans for that, they support their team. Alot of other 13AA teams should take not......

Uhm... for your information. I know McCord and he knows me and he hasn't called me an idiot!