Dead Period

In Hoc Signo Vinces

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the rules concerning dead period and what are there effects on off-season wrestling in TN?

It simply means that there is to be no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. during this period. Facilities are not to be open to the students, and there is to be no contact between coaches and the student-athletes. Students may only lift weights/conditioning on their own time as long as they are not being coached. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe it is June 21st - July 4th this summer.

It simply means that there is to be no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. during this period. Facilities are not to be open to the students, and there is to be no contact between coaches and the student-athletes. Students may only lift weights/conditioning on their own time as long as they are not being coached. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe it is June 21st - July 4th this summer.

June 21-July 4th is the Dead Period for ALL Sports.

Wrestling has a Dead Period for 21 days after the end of the State Tournament.

The dead period is nothing more than a "communist" rule established to place everyone on the same level. The rule punishes the kids that want to "out work" their competition and rewards those that are "lazy" and wish to sit at home and play video games.

The dead period that runs from June 21st-July 4th is just as bad. Football teams work very hard in the weightroom starting January 2 only to be forced to take a two week break around July 4th and football practice starts late July. If strength training is to prevent injuries why would you take a two week break just before Fall (late summer July) practice begins? If players, coaching staffs, and parents need a two break why not take it during exam week (so that kids have more time to study) and the week following exams? Yes, everyone would have a different dead period but everyone would still have two weeks with no practice or workouts.

The dead period is nothing more than a "communist" rule established to place everyone on the same level. The rule punishes the kids that want to "out work" their competition and rewards those that are "lazy" and wish to sit at home and play video games.

The dead period that runs from June 21st-July 4th is just as bad. Football teams work very hard in the weightroom starting January 2 only to be forced to take a two week break around July 4th and football practice starts late July. If strength training is to prevent injuries why would you take a two week break just before Fall (late summer July) practice begins? If players, coaching staffs, and parents need a two break why not take it during exam week (so that kids have more time to study) and the week following exams? Yes, everyone would have a different dead period but everyone would still have two weeks with no practice or workouts.

One great reason that it is during the middle of the summer is so that the coaches can also have a vacation. Many of these coaches teach during the exam weeks and would like to be able to take family vacations during the summer when they do not have to teach.

One great reason that it is during the middle of the summer is so that the coaches can also have a vacation. Many of these coaches teach during the exam weeks and would like to be able to take family vacations during the summer when they do not have to teach.

I guess that is one side of the argument that you rarely hear when discussing this topic the coaches and the lack of quality time they have w/ family

I guess that is one side of the argument that you rarely hear when discussing this topic the coaches and the lack of quality time they have w/ family

Remember that just because the coaches would have the ability to work with their kids does not mean they would have to. They would still be able to take time away and have vacations, etc. They would just need to leave other coaches or captains to lead the off-season workouts for that period.

This is kind of like an employer telling you when you will be forced into taking a vacation / not working. It just doesn't make much sense for that argument to fly.

Coaches that don't want to work throughout the spring and summer with their wrestling teams do not have to. However, they should not expect to be the best teams if others are putting in work over those same time periods. There is no reason to limit other teams' ability to work just because some don't want to.

No one would be stoping them from taking a vacation the whole Summer if that is what they want to do. However, why would you punish the coach & team that want to outwork their competition?

CBG, I think you are a big fan of Dan Gable from your earlier post. What do you think Gable would say?

Today, Gable would probably be diplomatic and tell you that hard work is a good thing for young men and what benefits a young student/athlete would receive from hard work. Back in the day Gable would tell you to stick it where the sun dosen't shine and that if he didn't work his wrestlers 24/7 they would probably end up in jail. There are two things that you can take to the bank on Gable: 1. He never had the best pure athletes 2. No teams ever worked harder than his Iowa teams.

Do you remember 2 years ago when Iowa defeated Iowa State in the dual and as an assistant coach for Tom Brands, Gable gave Cale Sanderson the middle finger salute during one heated exchange? I guess that Dan Gable still has a little of that intensity from the old day's. He even had to come out of the stands during the Iowa vs Wis. dual this year to calm down Barry Davis & Tom Brands who were ready to get after each other at the scorers table.