Controversial White/Ofori match WATCH NOW

jonesstreamcasting

For a better and much closer angle from a Cookeville parent go to: www.JonesStreamCasting.com click on better view from Cookeville parent. This one even shows the 1 point referee Tim Abel awarded Ofori for White's locking hand is even wrong! This parent suggests each referee is different and wrestlers just need to adjust to how the referee decides to call the match. We suggest a mandatory yearly statewide meeting to make sure we have parity among officials.....and each referee uses the same rule book.

locking hands is the signal used to indicate a technical. Not a locking hands call that would be pretty bad considering that they were neutral. All 4 calls were for headgear. I only saw the one and it had to be called.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the refs made it up.

Or should the refs choose what rules to enforce?

Saw the first one, he had the fingers inside the head gear pulling down, easy call.

They both had a good season, it is a shame it ended the way it did. But it is over, why keep going, let them both get on with their life.

They should enforce the rules using good judgement and common sense.

locking hands is the signal used to indicate a technical. Not a locking hands call that would be pretty bad considering that they were neutral. All 4 calls were for headgear. I only saw the one and it had to be called.

More precisely, it is the signal for two kinds of technical (locked hands and grasping clothing--the latter including headgear). Other technical violations (e. g. figure-four when not allowed, or fleeing the mat) do not get that signal, just the T-hands.

I watched both videos....And my only major concern, is where was the Cleveland Coach....was he even coaching the match. Why didn't he get his wrestler off the head and try a different approach. After the first call, which was legit, the coach should have been yelling at him to come off the head and go to wrist or arms, or inside control....instead the second offense came....then the coach still didn't coach him out of the violation. This match controversy could have been alleviated by the coach. Coach your wrestler, if the call is grabbing headgear....get off the head....If the call is locked hands, cut him loose.....or go to a different break down. The coach is to blame here. Both the wrestlers were wrestling their butts off. If anything, after the first call when the coach went to the table, he should have ask the ref to explain it to the wrestler if he didn't understand. The refs calls were right on, with the first and second calls, the third call was not headgear, and the forth was. If I stick my hand in the fire one time and get burnt, do you think I'm going to do it again.....Seems like this could go back and forth the he said, she said Bologna, but the bottom line is, the ref was calling a good match, the wrestlers were wrestling hard, let it go......

First one..yes you could argue for it, 2nd one maybe but in many a match not called... seemed incidental, locked hands against White...didnt even happen, third headgear....phantom call, 4th headgear , incidental at best again occurs frequently in many matches with no call. Overall Ref communication..poor.

Nick White is just as much the victom here as Ofori. I think both wrestlers were effected by the way it was called.

Both were wrestling to pretty much a standoff to that point. White may have won it outright had it been a complete match. Nothing should be taken away from his earning a state title. He was wrestling Ofori very tough. However,Both deserved better.

I watched both videos....And my only major concern, is where was the Cleveland Coach....was he even coaching the match. Why didn't he get his wrestler off the head and try a different approach. After the first call, which was legit, the coach should have been yelling at him to come off the head and go to wrist or arms, or inside control....instead the second offense came....then the coach still didn't coach him out of the violation. This match controversy could have been alleviated by the coach. Coach your wrestler, if the call is grabbing headgear....get off the head....If the call is locked hands, cut him loose.....or go to a different break down. The coach is to blame here. Both the wrestlers were wrestling their butts off. If anything, after the first call when the coach went to the table, he should have ask the ref to explain it to the wrestler if he didn't understand. The refs calls were right on, with the first and second calls, the third call was not headgear, and the forth was. If I stick my hand in the fire one time and get burnt, do you think I'm going to do it again.....Seems like this could go back and forth the he said, she said Bologna, but the bottom line is, the ref was calling a good match, the wrestlers were wrestling hard, let it go......

Great post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> and with that said I'm not sure that I'm ready to blame the coach. With any sport a lot of times its up to the participant to adjust to the ref.

For a better and much closer angle from a Cookeville parent go to: www.JonesStreamCasting.com click on better view from Cookeville parent. This one even shows the 1 point referee Tim Abel awarded Ofori for White's locking hand is even wrong! This parent suggests each referee is different and wrestlers just need to adjust to how the referee decides to call the match. We suggest a mandatory yearly statewide meeting to make sure we have parity among officials.....and each referee uses the same rule book.

Thanks for posting this because it makes it crystal clear on three of the calls, Ofori pulled the headgear no doubt on 3 of them. The slow motion replay really helped to see this. I do agree with you on the locking hands call, it was wrong. Bury this, it's over! Good luck to both of these young men.

This issue is very simple. Tim obviously saw the infractions or else he would not have called them. After watching the match, I could certainly see the first two calls of pulling the head gear and I think on the third call the assistant ref rushed in to signal Tim that he grabbed the head gear again. So when you have both officials agreeing that the head gear is being pulled, then obviously something is going on. Plus, if the ref is making it pretty darn clear that he's going to call the violation, then the wrestler should have changed his game plan and not attacked the head, or atleast should not have "hung" on the head.

Others have brought up good points, specifically coach Delgado on the duplicate thread, that just because the other 47 refs of Ofori's other matches didn't call it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be called! That should go against all the other refs that failed to call it. I know it is a terrible way for the Cleveland kid to lose his state finals match and I truly feel for him, but again, is the ref supposed to just not call a violation that is clearly stated in the rule book?

Allen, You've got a huge company to run. Quit putzing around with stuff! And quit referring to yourself as we unless Janie and you are both at the computer.

So basically the ref shouldn't abide by the rules and just use their own discretion? If Ofori was grabbing the head gear those are the rules sometimes it stinks but thats the way it goes.

In Hoc, please don't reply to my posts again. I'm afraid that viewers on this board capable of reading might associate my writing with your gibberish.