LC's Coach Thompson responds

FBCOACH

Wait a minute let's not lose track of the original issue here. This is not about a coach LEADING his team in prayer and certainly not about a coach forcing anybody to pray to anyone else's God. Here is the quote from the original article:

"But a case making its way to the U.S. Supreme Court could specifically prevent Thompson and other coaches of public schools from praying with their teams, even if the players initiate the prayer on their own."

So dont' try to turn this into something about a coach forcing kids to pray based on a specific religion. The Lord's Prayer, which is what Thompson's team says, doesn't mention Jesus or Mohammad or anything else. It's just God.

Coach Thompson is a class act! Thanks for pointing out what the article said 'catsvoice'. I was wondering why Hawse40 made the comment that was made after my remark! Must not have read the article! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute let's not lose track of the original issue here. This is not about a coach LEADING his team in prayer and certainly not about a coach forcing anybody to pray to anyone else's God. Here is the quote from the original article:

"But a case making its way to the U.S. Supreme Court could specifically prevent Thompson and other coaches of public schools from praying with their teams, even if the players initiate the prayer on their own."

So dont' try to turn this into something about a coach forcing kids to pray based on a specific religion. The Lord's Prayer, which is what Thompson's team says, doesn't mention Jesus or Mohammad or anything else. It's just God.

First, as it pertains to this case, I agree with you. If players start the prayer, let the coach bow his head. There's nothing wrong with that.

BUT, you can't really say that saying the Lord's Prayer covers all religions. Sure, it's not making anyone pray to another god (unless the person's god is vishnu or buddha), but it is making the atheists pray to a god they don't believe in. And, really, what's the use of a prayer during pratice? I could maybe see the use for a prayer before a game.

As for coach Thompson, I do not know this man, and I am sure that he is a good, just, honest man who has done much for the community and his players. But, in this instance, he just seems kind of full of himself. I mean, why would it be so bad to say a prayer to yourself after practice? I'm sure god would be no less sensitive to your request than he would be if most of your players prayed with you. Again, I do not know the man and am not trying to say anything derogatory about him, but it just seems to me that school is not church. Now, if I was on the team, I'd just kneel there and be quiet like I always have -- it's just easier that way. But I can also see why some atheists wouldn't want to have to put up with that.

And burroball, I'll get back to your last post hopefully this evening. Don't think I have forgotten about you. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> It's just been a long couple of days and we have a lot on our plate today, as well.

Coach Thompson is a class act! Thanks for pointing out what the article said 'catsvoice'. I was wondering why Hawse40 made the comment that was made after my remark! Must not have read the article! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

.Sorry my post doesn't meet your approval.But you aren't required to say it with me or Read it as long as I initiated , it whether you agree or not,correct? Or would you rather I just kept quiet?

.Sorry my post doesn't meet your approval.But you aren't required to say it with me or Read it as long as I initiated , it whether you agree or not,correct? Or would you rather I just kept quiet?

I went back and read your comment 'Hawse40' sorry about that my bad. Now that I read it again I understand what you were saying. I stand corrected! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I must of been half a sleep when I read it the first time! No you do not have to keep quiet!

THAT IS GOOD!

I know it is good.....for the rest of America. That's why I'm glad I live in TN. Unfortunately for that coach in NJ though, the school district's ban is upheld due to the Supreme Court not taking the case. Granted, the truth is if they had taken the case it could have potentially made things even more restrictive for teachers/coaches across entire country than they already are.

Want to comment on this -

First, I am glad that the SC decided not to pick up the case for various reasons.

Second, "The Lord's Prayer" is a specific Christian prayer that Jesus was teaching his disciple to pray to the Christian God Yahweh in the Gospels. It was not and is not meant to be a generic universal prayer. If a coach is using that as an excuse, I would prefer him not to have his team say the prayer personally. That type of thought would be just another example of American Christians choosing a "freedom" over truth. From what has been said about Coach Thompson, I doubt that is the case.

This is ridiculous. I can't understand how they can ban prayer. Our money refers to God, the constitution refers to God, the Declaration refers to God, God is what our country is based on. Are these other religions offended by prayer? Because i sure as heck am offended by them taking my prayer away.

This is ridiculous. I can't understand how they can ban prayer. Our money refers to God, the constitution refers to God, the Declaration refers to God, God is what our country is based on. Are these other religions offended by prayer? Because i sure as heck am offended by them taking my prayer away.

The first amendment declares both freedom of religion and I promise that GOVERNMENT will not endorse ANY religion; therefore, public school teachers can't lead their students or student athletes in prayer; however, they can exercise their right to pray individually. The supreme court has ruled several times since 1960 that teachers and school employees can't lead students in prayer, although most schools like the one I work at does have a daily moment of silence. In this case, there was NO RULING because the SUPREME COURT elected not to hear the case.

Our nation was founded on the concept of RELIGIOUS FREEDOM and FREEDOM FROM RELIGION at the same time. This is why we call it a secular state. I am a proud, bible carrying Christian but I understand the idea that each of us has the right to choose to believe in the God of the Bible, or any other religion, or none at all. This is the AMERICAN WAY! In the same spirit, students can't and should not be forced by public school officials to pray one way or another. HOWEVER, if students want to pray after a game, and are not coerced into doing so by the coach or the team, that should be allowed. If a coach wants to bow his head and pray with them I think that too is fine. But it must be voluntary and not forced upon anyone.

Shamwow you have got most of your facts wrong. Go back and take a history class. US currency has only had the words IN GOD WE TRUST since the 1950's and NO, the Constitution does not mention any specific religion. The Declaration does mention a CREATOR but it is very vague by design. The man who wrote the Declaration, Thomas Jefferson was not a Christian.

Again, Louis Thompson should be allowed to pray with his students IMHO as long as he does not lead them in that prayer and I think that should be true of all coaches after football games, IF the team wants to do so.