Oak Ridge Hires New Coach!

92Dragon

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy that coach Blade got a job he wanted. I think that you must give credit where credit is do and say that Blade is a good coach. Also most dont know it but he had only two assistants at the school so that may be where the support issue is coming into play. The talent definitely helped Blade and he did a good job managing that talent. I know that many people are upset or unhappy about Coach A at Riverdale but He built the program at Hillsboro from the gound up and blade inherited that program and had sucess which led to more talent showing up. Kudos to him for in one year changing from the Wing T to the Spread succesfully. Yes Hillsboro does have open zone and it is unfair to other metro schools. Also as far as the other arguments go about Hillsboro and Maryville. Maryville was better talent wise when Coach A was the coach at Hillsboro and trying to beat them every year. Still Hillsboro had better talent then as well with Chris Russell, Joe Sanders, and Tim Gray when Coach A was around. In the end Good Coaches have good players and win which makes more people want to come to their school.

The compiled Google version of Scott Blade's biography:

All-CIF (all-state?) LB at Canyon HS (Santa Clarita, CA)

Linebacker at San Diego State (maybe a smaller school before that). BS in Kinesiology and a MA in Education.

College assistant for 2 years at Glendale College and 1 year at the College of the Canyons

Two years off coaching (wife had twins)

2001-05 Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator at his former HS (some reference to coaching the offensive line, also. The head coach said there was "no better assistant in the state" and "Scott was magnificant in the weightraining and conditioning". State title (however CA decides that) in 2005.

Parents retired to TN. Coach Blade followed the by getting the Hillsboro job.

2006: with a totally new staff and a totally new offense went 14-0 before losing the state title game to Maryville.

2007: 10-2 with a one point loss in the play-offs (reportedly Hillsboro lost 8 fumbles in that game).

2008: 13-2 State Championship over Maryville.

Since becoming a head coach in Tennessee, his record is 37-5; averaging 32.6 points per game and giving up 11.7 points per game. Runs the spread offense with lots of variations. Lost only to Maryville (-25), MBA (-5), Maplewood (-1), Franklin (-6), and MBA, again (-5). Two wins and no losses vs Joe Gaddis and one win, one loss vs. George Quarles.

Young, energetic and is reported to lead by example with heavily structured practices. Supposedly very intense, but fair.

Teacher for 14 years? Married, with three daughters.

I'm stoked!

The reception went great. Lots of familiar Cat fan faces. The line was long and Coach talked with each and every person. I was impressed with the coach. I don't know exactly how many players were there. I saw a whole bunch of them hanging around at the reception, so it was way more than a few. The players that were there were fired up for sure, they were pumped up after the meeting, it was a good night for OR football and a new energy for sure.

The reception went great. Lots of familiar Cat fan faces. The line was long and Coach talked with each and every person. I was impressed with the coach. I don't know exactly how many players were there. I saw a whole bunch of them hanging around at the reception, so it was way more than a few. The players that were there were fired up for sure, they were pumped up after the meeting, it was a good night for OR football and a new energy for sure.

I am glad there were more than I few, I did hear it was a great presentation by the Coach, I have heard that he is a no nonsense kind of guy. We have a long way to go so I hope everyone will be patient. I am looking forward to the season. I have also heard that other coaches who played him this year have said they believe he will turn this program around as well.