Div II Favorite

GOAT2000

To be considered trivial by the TSSAA would be a compliment to many. The rest of your post is kinda stupid. Div II will gladly consede DIV I winning the message board number of replies contest. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Please check your spelling before you call another post stupid. Thanks.

Most of us are working and helping with homework so do not have the time to sit on the message boards all day /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Except for you.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for you.

I said "most of us" I am talented. I can post and work at the same time /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You are talented. It is nice to hear from a Division II poster with a sense of humor.

Please check your spelling before you call another post stupid. Thanks.

No thanks, I will let you check it. Please check your wording of sentences before making silly comments. It would also be nice to hear from a DIV I supporter that has a sense of humor, thats not you, just another whiner. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Except for you.

Division II fans often "cry" about how bad the TSSAA treats them. I was just pointing out that there doesn't seem to be much interest in Division II football. It is even more boring now that all teams will make the play-offs. Could this possibly be true? It is also not nice to call someone stupid, just because their opinion is different from your opinion.

Division II fans often "cry" about how bad the TSSAA treats them. I was just pointing out that there doesn't seem to be much interest in Division II football. It is even more boring now that all teams will make the play-offs. Could this possibly be true?

Once again, the "interest" in Division II football is commensurate with the student populations of said schools. It is also affected by the location of the schools (big cities = more events to attend and things to do, versus small rural towns where high school football is generally the only game in town and beats the heck out of hanging out at Sonic -at least from 7:00 - 9:30). The message board activity one sees on here is likely in line with number of fans the schools represent relative to where those schools are located. I have seen plenty of large city public school games with pee-poor attendance figures relative to the enrollments of those schools.

"Fans" aside, Division II games generate plenty of interest from college recruiters, who, as a whole (but certainly not exclusively), don't have to worry about grades, entrance exams, and personal issues to the extent some of the Division I games generate. "Interest" goes far beyond the internet.

My "brilliant analogy" possibly also translates to dollars, which is why you will continue to have your finals on a weeknight instead of prime time. Come back and play with DI if you don't like it. However, then the playing field might be a bit more level, (if you followed the rules, of course) and you couldn't brag about a 70-75 percent win percentage. Just a little debate from a Division I supporter.

I'm going to assume (probably wrongly) that you're arguments are genuine, and not just snarkiness, and address them from that point.

With money (and heaven knows that's a bis issue with the TSSAA), I think you're looking at the chicken-egg argument. Does Div. II get stuck with mid-week championships because they draw a low attendance, or do they draw a low attendance because the game is in the middle of the week? Tossing in another issue, are the Div II championships less well attended than the A or AA championships? And if they're the week or two prior to the Div I championship, why does it matter at all? Play them on Fri or Sat, when you'll certainly get better attendance, even if it is smaller than the AAAAA gate?

As to the level field issue, I'm aware of the Coach T policy that requires recruiting be mentioned in all Div II related posts; I'm glad we've settled that now, and don't need to address it here in this thread again. Again, as I think one or two people may have alluded to previously, if you've got evidence, let the TSSAA know; I'm sure they'd be delighted to show up at the accused institution with their endoscopes and conduct the investigation. And as a pre-emptive suggestion, let's not mention the long running matter between BA and the TSSAA. That issue divided enough courts over the year to suggest that contacting a youngster after his parents have paid a deposit is not something everybody recognizes as recruiting. Just my humble opinion, but in terms of recruiting, that seems to me to be analogous to sending a hooker flowers the day after you've utilized her services. Squandered resources. Again, see other posts for the details, but to reiterate the high point: a company in New Jersey makes the decision as to who gets financial aid and how much. The head football coach has no input.

I can't speak for all Div II schools, but MBA's tuition hovers around 15K. If they don't give financial aid, they become virtually a lily-white school reserved solely for the sons of the elite in Belle Meade, Franklin, and Brentwood. In as much as diversity enhances education, financial aid is a necessity at MBA to provide the educational experience it deems best for its students.

In many cases, Div I supporters and their attitude toward Div II remind me of the relationship between people without tattoos towards those who do have tattoos. They frequently look with contempt on the other party, despite the fact that they receive no such ill will from the a priori.

Division II games are obviously considered "trivial" by the TSSAA and perhaps with good reason. Just look at the interest Division II generates on this board for example. Most of the topics here have only two or three responses, with the exception of this one which has all of 100 replies. Perhaps you need to consider why no one seems to care about Division II football. Divison II seems like a private Junior, Junior College division. Please explain the "on-the-field accomplishments" of DII over DI? Didn't a public school beat Brentwood Academy last year or am I mistaken? If so, would that small miracle have proven something on the field or would that just be speculation?

The 2008 DII-AA champion ended the season as the top-ranked team in the state of TN, covering alll divisions.

I'm going to assume (probably wrongly) that you're arguments are genuine, and not just snarkiness, and address them from that point...Just my humble opinion, but in terms of recruiting, that seems to me to be analogous to sending a hooker flowers the day after you've utilized her services. Squandered resources...In many cases, Div I supporters and their attitude toward Div II remind me of the relationship between people without tattoos towards those who do have tattoos. They frequently look with contempt on the other party, despite the fact that they receive no such ill will from the a priori.

Excellent retort, as always.

Once again, the "interest" in Division II football is commensurate with the student populations of said schools. It is also affected by the location of the schools (big cities = more events to attend and things to do, versus small rural towns where high school football is generally the only game in town and beats the heck out of hanging out at Sonic -at least from 7:00 - 9:30). The message board activity one sees on here is likely in line with number of fans the schools represent relative to where those schools are located. I have seen plenty of large city public school games with pee-poor attendance figures relative to the enrollments of those schools.

"Fans" aside, Division II games generate plenty of interest from college recruiters, who, as a whole (but certainly not exclusively), don't have to worry about grades, entrance exams, and personal issues to the extent some of the Division I games generate. "Interest" goes far beyond the internet.

I guess you can't have it all and you seem to take it well. High school football interests me because it's not about money or prestige, or even being recruited most of the time. The players are playing (mostly) for the love of the game. I think the reason you stated above are true as to the reason Divison I generates more interest and excitement on the boards as well as at the games. The challenges that some of the players face in Division I; "grades, entrace exams and personal issues", only adds to my appreciation of Divison I football, players and coaches. When I watch the players who walk to summer weight-lifting at 6:30 am each morning, with no real hope of a football scholarship, I am inpressed and know what real football is about.