THS VIKINGS 09

THSVIKINGS11

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'04, do you and the other regular Viking posters on here regularly attend practice?

Can,t speak for 04. But I get my daily 2 miler in while i watch practice. I'm not hard to spot i,ll be the one tripping over the curb from time to time /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> too much watching them instead of watching the track /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Geppetto, VikingT, and scoop, you are all very correct. Great posts. If you read my post you see my reference to the Sr. Phillips and his advise to me. It was tough love when he told me but the sensible parent should listen. He was very correct. Scoop, you are so right that it is a numbers game and that sometimes very high quality athletes get caught between the cracks. It happens. And DII is no discrace by any means. And if the athlete is truly DI then it will be seen. It happens every year an athlete transfers from a DII school to a DI but only after his performance is so good he just can't be ignored. It's all about the education and that is the bottom line. I agree many parents "push" their children to a scholarship when maybe they didn't have the desire or outright ability to succeed at the next level. I discovered my sons ability at his very young age and provided every opportunity I could afford to further his preparation for the next level. In the end I told him from the heart that, "if you don't want to play college football it's OK. My love and respect for you won't deminish. I am fortunate to have an extremely close relationship with my son and he knows I would support him in any venture he chooses to persue. It was his decision to attempt to play college football. And it will be his decision to see it through or decide his future is elswhere. Yes, I am a taskmaster and a staunch believer of do it right or sit down. The only reason I ever physically diciplined my children was for telling a lie. And the only demand I ever made on them in regards to their talent was to have the dicipline to finish what you start. Responsibility is a tough thing to teach but if a child learns it at an early age then success will follow them through any avenue they choose to embark.

As far as track speed and football speed is concerned, anyone who has been through the college recruiting process can attest to the ruthless approach by college coaches in regards to making their choice. They separate the 4.4's and better from the rest of the pack right in front of your eyes and after a couple of different visits you quickly understand what the game is about. Makes no difference who the better player is. They even go so far as to put everyone through the same drills and these drills are intense and replicate game situations and performance in these drills is by and large ignored. The numbers speak. I think we all can allude to situations where the numbers method did not work. Nevertheless, it is the method. I am sure there are DI coaches out there that see the fine print but I didn't meet them.

In the end the single most important issue is your childs happiness. Matt Geiger (NBA) told my daughter once, "Just make sure you have a plan "B"." Because sometimes life takes a side road.

I would like to congratulate you four on one of the best football threads I have ever read on Coach T.

Good Job!

Good Point. However I would not call it a brick wall. I would describe it as an arena for the gifted. I think a lot kids are mislead by their parents and coaches as to their athletic abilities. These kids are built up and told by the prior stated individuals that they are great athletes beginning in pop warner football. Most of ther time they are the bigger kids that have matured quicker then the other kids. With this being the case, they get to the next levels and this process continues. No fault of the kid!! I would blame it on to program or the Jr High and High School coaches that don't know how to find their way around the "chalk board" and/or recognize talent that is standing on the sidelines or walking the school hallways. Instead, the coaches continue to bank on the quickly matured kid that has been passed, as far as athletic abilities, by the kid that was once so skinny or short and fat that he was never given an opportunity. So I think, with this being the case, there is alot of misdirected anger by the parents and coaches that can't see the forrest because the trees keep getting the way. I once wrote a paper in college that was predicated on the precentage of kid's that play HS football vs. the number of kids that received major college scholarships. Also, the percentages of kids that extended their careers from college into the NFL. After much research, i found that the percentages were absolutely rediculious. Almost impossible to get a major college schlorship and even more rediculous were the percentages to proceed to the NFL. With this being said, the kids are built up and programed to the thought processes of their parents ans/or coaches instead of their own. Many times this process extends well beyond the normal logical thought process. And the kids, several years beyond, still believe they were robbed of that should have been. They have been programmed to chase a ghost!!! There is Nothing wrong with setting goals and/or following your dreams if you will, however, dreams/goals must be realistic and sometimes readjusted thus making them attainable. So, where of when does the madness end? Realistically, as a poster put it, a 4.3 gets you to Florida to be a football player. A 4.6 gets you to Charleston to be a football player/student. Finally, I need help understanding your final sentence. A stop watch does not display emotions nor does it have vision.

Mannnnn??¦.I was going to sit back and try to catch up before I started runnin my mouth, but this stuff is too juicy to pass up. I??™m going to have to go with Geppetto on this one (in that it is more like an arena for the gifted) even though everybody else seems to be in the same chapter of this book. One of the most truthful and powerful statements that you made in this post is ???I think a lot kids are mislead by their parents and coaches as to their athletic abilities???. Most parents and many coaches in this area don??™t have a clue what it takes to be a D1 NCAA athlete, because most haven??™t met nor ever seen one in person before. Watching ???the gifted??? on TV where the playing field is (quote unquote) level doesn??™t give you a true perspective of how special/gifted most of these athletes are. And when I use the word ???gifted???, I mean GOD GIVEN /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . This misconception to the kids by the coaches and parents that they are "the one" starts at an early age. And in my opinion, for the very reason Geppetto sighted. The kids are either the bigger kids at the time or have physically matured faster than the others. Parents sometimes have the misconception that because their child is the fastest kid and runs all of the touchdowns in elementary that it will be that way all the way through high school. And many boneheaded coaches see performances at the elementary and even middle school level and tag these kids as superstars and at that time shut there eyes to what many times is raw, undeveloped talent standing on the sidelines??¦just in a small unrecognizable (to the untrained eye) package at the time. Some of you Viking fans may disagree??¦but I don??™t believe Keenan would have gotten a chance to shine had it not been for Jeff Baker??™s injury that put him out for a game. And if he hadn??™t put up such numbers (4 TDs and over 200 yards rushing) that game, Jeff would have been right back in the saddle the next game. But I believe he showed the coaches something that they had obviously turned a blind eye too up to that point, and he has been our ???horse??? every since. Is this a case of the untrained eye...or is it a case of a coach already picking his go to guys without seeing the other studs in the pasture. Subbs has a good eye for talent, so he must have been putting Keenan in his back pocket for later. Not a fair decision for Keenan or the team in my opinion. Of course it could be that age old ???wait your turn underclassman??? deals that keep coaches around here from ever developing talent and sending it to the next level.