Oakland High School

MidTennFootball

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodson

I think the window for hiring within the coaching staff has come and gone. I always thought that Woodson would be the heir apparent, but not as sure right now.

doubt it will be filled by someone currently on staff....I think it will be an outsider...Look what hiring outside the "family" did for football. possibly Couey.

Difference being is that football was in dire straits, and there arent really candidates that compare similarly to Thomas. Much as I would love to see Michael at Oakland, it would be a very risky hire at best. There are plenty of coaches in middle tennessee who are at the top of their game and still alot left in the tank. Also, hiring Couey would technically be keeping it in the family.

This is one of those hires that could propel Oakland from a very good program to an elite program if the right hire is made.

I think the window for hiring within the coaching staff has come and gone. I always thought that Woodson would be the heir apparent, but not as sure right now.

Difference being is that football was in dire straits, and there arent really candidates that compare similarly to Thomas. Much as I would love to see Michael at Oakland, it would be a very risky hire at best. There are plenty of coaches in middle tennessee who are at the top of their game and still alot left in the tank. Also, hiring Couey would technically be keeping it in the family.

This is one of those hires that could propel Oakland from a very good program to an elite program if the right hire is made.

Doug Kiel?

No disrespect to Coach Couey, just stating facts-his overall record when he was with us was 4-42 in two years. I just don't see him as the fit at a program like Oakland has right now, maybe later though.

Doug Kiel?

Maybe, but I think he has shacked up good and tight at Lebanon.

No disrespect to Coach Couey, just stating facts-his overall record when he was with us was 4-42 in two years. I just don't see him as the fit at a program like Oakland has right now, maybe later though.

I agree, but also keep in mind that the cupboard was completely bare. In terms of what Oakland runs and what Coach Couey does, it is a spot on match, but I agree with the notion that if Coach King retired a few more years down the road, this job would be a little more attainable for Michael.

Murfreesboro Post confirming the rumors that Coach King will be the next coach at Providence Christian Academy in the Boro.

From the Post's website:

Coach Randy King joins Providence Christian

By: TMP report

Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 10:50 am

Randy King, following his resignation from Oakland High, will be coming to Providence Christian Academy next fall and the athletic director and coach.

"As you are well aware of his coaching ability and his success at Oakland, he is even a better person who lives by Godly principles," said Providence head master Butch Vaughn.

"At PCA, he is the type of character person that we want working and teaching the students," Vaughn said.

King served 33 years as a coach at Oakland and 23 years as head coach. His overall record was 552-173 for a winning percentage of 76.1.

His teams won seven region titles, made five Boys State appearances and had 20 straight 20-plus win seasons.

Just a few names to ponder:

Troy Allen- Mt. Juliet

Troy Bond- Wilson Central

Kevin Thomas- Shelbyville

Chad Hibdon- Blackman

Bobby Luna- Gallatin

Kevin Woodson

Jay Johnson- Franklin

Darrin Joines- Beech

Al Cooper- Clarksville NE

Doug Bontrager- Father Ryan

Eric Mitchell- White Co.

Kent Smith- Bradley Central

Joey Reed- Eagleville

I am sure there are some other names that will require intrigue, but for the most part, any one of these guys would be my ideal head coach at Oakland.

Just a few names to ponder:

Troy Allen- Mt. Juliet

Troy Bond- Wilson Central

Kevin Thomas- Shelbyville

Chad Hibdon- Blackman

Bobby Luna- Gallatin

Kevin Woodson

Jay Johnson- Franklin

Darrin Joines- Beech

Al Cooper- Clarksville NE

Doug Bontrager- Father Ryan

Eric Mitchell- White Co.

Kent Smith- Bradley Central

Joey Reed- Eagleville

I am sure there are some other names that will require intrigue, but for the most part, any one of these guys would be my ideal head coach at Oakland.

Jay Jpnson and Kevin Thomas would eb very good hires...doubt Kevin would leave. Have you heard the name Randy Wheil being mentioned?

Jay Jpnson and Kevin Thomas would eb very good hires...doubt Kevin would leave. Have you heard the name Randy Wheil being mentioned?

No and Hope I never hear it. I have talked to some that seem to think KT wouldnt ever leave Shelbyville and have talked to some that think he would leave for the right job, so who knows. There is a incredible wealth of coaching talent in Wilson, Williamson and Sumner Counties, so Oakland wont have to go too far for its next coach.