Oakland High School

MidTennFootball

There is nothing in Aaron Green's background that would suggest that he's looking to jump from job to job. He was at Cleveland for 7 years (his entire h.s. coaching career), then he went to Tennessee (where he played) as a graduate assistant. G.A.'s are only there for 2 years, then their time is up. Aaron just completed his 2nd year. Maybe he is more comfortable in high school. Leaving high school to go to the University of Tennessee is a pretty good career move.

In fact I bet he is the only serious candidate for the Oakland job who has coached his entire career at one high school.

I just wonder why he would want to jump to middle tn all of a sudden? Oakland is a good job but it is not an elite job. Being a G.A. would be a good career move if it indeed advances his career, but if hes just moving back to high school, I dont think it served its purpose. With that said, we dont even know if Aaron Green is a serious candidate for this job.

What is the talent level returning at Oakland from last years team?

How was the Junior Varsity/Freshman groups?

What is the middle school program like?

Its decent-good, nothing spectacular, but a strong foundation is there. The feeder program is a work in progress as Oakland draws kids from a myriad of middle schools. The county commissioners are voting on funding for schools right now, one of which would be a middle school right across from Oakland, so that will be key in the long run. Oakland will still have a good team next year regardless who is coach.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A LITTLE BIRDIE TOLD ME SOMEONE LOCAL WAS INTERVIEWED AND OFFERED THE JOB!.................

BUT THEN TURNED IT DOWN??

I know a friend of a friend who tells me that the interview process has not even started yet. According to him there are about 25 people applying. I can't think of anyone in this county, other than King, who has won enough to be considered for this job.

I just wonder why he would want to jump to middle tn all of a sudden? Oakland is a good job but it is not an elite job. Being a G.A. would be a good career move if it indeed advances his career, but if hes just moving back to high school, I dont think it served its purpose. With that said, we dont even know if Aaron Green is a serious candidate for this job.

If Aaron is interested in this job, Oakland would be crazy not to hire this guy! He did a great job at Cleveland. He actually beat Oakland to go to the state tournament in 2005 (I think). He won 20 plus about every year he was there. He was a great coach then, I can't imagine how good he could be now that he has 2 years experience under Bruce Pearl! If he really is interested in going back to high school coaching, Oakland better scoop him up before someone else does.

Its decent-good, nothing spectacular, but a strong foundation is there. The feeder program is a work in progress as Oakland draws kids from a myriad of middle schools. The county commissioners are voting on funding for schools right now, one of which would be a middle school right across from Oakland, so that will be key in the long run. Oakland will still have a good team next year regardless who is coach.

A name that has not been brought up is lavon King at Moore Co. Great coach and would be a good fit to keep the Oakland program going.

Any details as to what he has run? What kind of success?

Not doubting his record. If Oakland is looking to make a thomas mcdaniel kind of hire here, Aaron Green maybe the closest thing to it............

Any details as to what he has run? What kind of success?

Not doubting his record. If Oakland is looking to make a thomas mcdaniel kind of hire here, Aaron Green maybe the closest thing to it............

That's why I asked about Aaron to begin with. From what I have heard about McDaniel, there are some similarities. I do know Aaron a little bit. As far as his interest in middle tennessee, I think he interviewed for the Blackman job when the school was opening. That was when he was just getting started in coaching. He got the Cleveland job instead and had a lot of success. His wife graduated from Vanderbilt and their 2nd child is due this spring. He may want a more stable lifestyle for his family instead of the travel involved in college.

I would think Oakland would be an elite job, but I guess that's open to discussion. If it's not, I would think it would certainly be more attractive than any of the openings this year. I don't think the jobs at CAK, Coffee Co., Warren Co., or Independence are even close.

I really don't know Aaron well enough to speak on his behalf. I have just heard that he may be interested, and I was just wondering if anyone in middle tennessee had any thoughts.

That's why I asked about Aaron to begin with. From what I have heard about McDaniel, there are some similarities. I do know Aaron a little bit. As far as his interest in middle tennessee, I think he interviewed for the Blackman job when the school was opening. That was when he was just getting started in coaching. He got the Cleveland job instead and had a lot of success. His wife graduated from Vanderbilt and their 2nd child is due this spring. He may want a more stable lifestyle for his family instead of the travel involved in college.

I would think Oakland would be an elite job, but I guess that's open to discussion. If it's not, I would think it would certainly be more attractive than any of the openings this year. I don't think the jobs at CAK, Coffee Co., Warren Co., or Independence are even close.

I really don't know Aaron well enough to speak on his behalf. I have just heard that he may be interested, and I was just wondering if anyone in middle tennessee had any thoughts.

Don't know the coach either, but I do know that King has left big shoes to fill. I do know that from what I heard there are good things going on at Oakland. Sounds like Green would fit in with the "movement" at Oakland.

I there is no doubt that Oakland is an attractive job, but its not among the best in AAA either, its a really good job make no mistake about it. I do agree that Green could fit in with the "movement" at Oakland, but considering he is a east tn guy and has aspirations of coaching in college, you have to wonder how long he would stay at Oakland.

I am still distressed about King leaving. I just think there isn't much left at Oakland these days that seems like OAKLAND! I wish Randy the best that life has to offer. He will be missed. It is going to take a special fellow to fill this legend's shoes. Guess I will have to break down and buy a Providence hat.

I would say the target status might hurt some of the prospects for this job.

I am still distressed about King leaving. I just think there isn't much left at Oakland these days that seems like OAKLAND! I wish Randy the best that life has to offer. He will be missed. It is going to take a special fellow to fill this legend's shoes. Guess I will have to break down and buy a Providence hat.

I would say the target status might hurt some of the prospects for this job.

Oakland is just merely rebuilding. I think you will be suprised at the quality of whoever replaces Randy as the Head Coach. If I could have my way for the next coach, I think this guy could stabilize the Oakland program and make it even better. His style of play could get some of these kids out of the hallways and into the program. Randy will be missed, but if the right hire is made, Oakland can become an even better program. Every high school and program goes through a down cycle, Oakland is just starting to get out of theirs.

Oakland is just merely rebuilding. I think you will be suprised at the quality of whoever replaces Randy as the Head Coach. If I could have my way for the next coach, I think this guy could stabilize the Oakland program and make it even better. His style of play could get some of these kids out of the hallways and into the program. Randy will be missed, but if the right hire is made, Oakland can become an even better program. Every high school and program goes through a down cycle, Oakland is just starting to get out of theirs.

Although I am a Riverdale fan I would agree. As for the target thing, wasn't Vaughn the principal there for two years?