Jefferson County Football 2009

Warlock

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the scrimmage against Central go? Curious to see how both teams matched up.

Quick update on Friday's scrimmage vs Heritage. It will be AT Heritage High School: 6 PM.

As to the scrimmage against Central, I would say team depth played a big hand in Jeff dominating early and often. Central was playing too many players both ways. Central has an tough/outstanding QB.

But, as a team, Central just did not have the swagger that Jeff had.

Too much smack talk, not enough action on the field by Central.

My 2 cents.

What i want to know about the scrimmage:

How was the QB play? Last year they had their QB struggles as we all know. I mean it wasnt their fault, but down to the 3rd QB and playing players who never really were quarterbacks in the first place (in my opinion Christian, maybe im wrong) just wasnt the answer.

O-line? I heard last year they had several young players on the O-line. Have these guys stepped up and improved? In their run heavy offense, this is arguably the most important key to offensive production IMO.

Wide recievers? Last year I watched the Sullivan South scrimmage at CN and the wide receivers struggled somewhat. The first play of the game they ran a post play and perfectly thrown ball-sure touchdown-right through the hands. (thats what i remember most) Then I went to another game during the season and they were a lot better. Just better ability, even in warm-ups i could tell a difference. Inconsistency in the passing game hurt them not only because of qb issues, but also the guys catching (or not catching) the ball. If they can establish the passing game they will be alright because we know they'll be able to run the ball and keep the defense off balance.

Is the junior class developing well? Their freshman year they were undefeated I believe. They might be the most talented group of guys to come through jeff in a while. How are they now?

Just a bunch of opinions I have about Jeff Co. I've thought about it a lot and finally decided to put my thoughts down. Hopefully someone can answer my questions :D

Yes you are correct the freshman team of 2007 went undefeated. My understanding is that nearly 2/3 of that squad is still playing this year as Juniors. I personally feel that we have better quarterback situation coming into this year.

I attended scrimmage at Heritage tonight and was happy to see Heritage held to only one score against the first string Defense. They did not really get any offense going against Jefferson until Coach Anderson put in the third string players.

One of my highlights tonight was hearing Heritage's coach yelling at his player on the side lines saying "we are better prepared than this team (sic. Jefferson), We are better conditioned than this team, we are better than This team", While implying why the heck are you getting beat by them. LOL.

I gotta humbly say the Jeff Co men looked pretty good last night. 3 to 1 is how I saw it.Great effort guys !The Heritage program overall played with alot of class.There were no cheap or late shots or taunting that I saw.All players were quick to take a knee when any player was hurt. As far as the Qb situation last year #1Christian only played in three games,its not easy to evaluate a player with so few games at that position.I will say that without a doubt Christian gave his heart and soul to the Patriots for 4 years!That being said the team needs to consider who has the needed skills to play that position.We are running the Veer afterall. The "read"/speed/quickness/strength/leadership/ability to make things happen on the fly/and a" can do"positive"fight to the very end" attitude are just some of the things needed.simply put you must start with a tough runningback type player.IMO Christian was THE best choice to start last year.But again you have to look to the coaches to have the best player choices in the pipeline and have them prepared to take over for that position in the event of injury and graduation .In all fairness ,Christian saw no snaps as a freshman/sophmore or junoir- yet we all knew that Zach Long was going to graduate 2 years ago.Sadly,too often coaches have bent and some believe continue to be pressured from outside sources to play or practice players at positions that are not right for them.Im sure Coach Anderson,as he continues to gain experience at the Head Coach position,will consider these points and do what is right for the team.Go Patriots ! dvp4life

Oh yeah definitely. Christian McFall was also in my opinion the best option at quarterback, but just a lack of experience at that position hurt him. He really was a team leader though as I've heard from several players from last year. I really did feel bad for him when he was injured, but im excited he gets the chance to play in college. My take on the inconsistency is just not being able to get in a rhythm because it was one quarterback after another-not particularly the players. Christian was probably the best for the ole veer offense, but I'm not sure about the others, i never got a chance to watch them. I'm happy to hear the junior class is coming along because I would love to see the rise of Jeff Co. football.

Farragut at JCHS ! whoa ! Ive heard it said that sometimes it pays to play a better team and man thats what we did thurs night...I make no excuses for the Patriots,They just outperformed us. Again it should be said that the Farragut team played the scrimmage with alot of class and fire.They clearly have a few D1 players on their team and thankfully all of their top talent wasnt on the field.But you gotta give it up to the Patriots for their NO quit attitude/Heart/and Toughness .The men gave it all they had and can feel good about the effort.(Ive seen the bruises !).I did see MANY BRIGHT SPOTS for us on the field. and with continued hard work on everyones part I believe ,as do most of us, that we can make an improvement from last years record. I challenge everyone to make EVERY effort to help this team make it to the next level.Players: are your grades good?/staying out of trouble?/encouraging each other?/extra workouts on your own time?/diet? Coaches: Positve attitudes?/thinking outside the box?/teamwork? ... Parents: are we supportive of the players/coaches and each other? Dont get me wrong I want to WIN but I also want to feel like Im part of a Team, a School and a Community !!!!!!! GO PATRIOTS ! dvp4life

The Jamboree Friday night was interesting.

With the “you can’t block field goals” rule, Morristown West won 3-0.

I guess I am stupid, but that is the most ridiculous rule ever.

The East/West article on Prepxtra FAILS to mention this when touting how the Morristown teams had shutouts on Friday night.: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/aug/1 ... -shutouts/

I understand not kicking off (put the ball on the 20/30 and play, whatever) and not rushing the punter/returning punts, fair catches only, but no blocking of Field Goals, YUK!!!!

What, we do not want the players exposed to too much “danger” before week 0.

Please, this is FOOTBALL!!!!! Not a knitting class.

My deepest apologizes to all you knitters out there.

From what I saw, the Jeff-D has the athletes/coaching to keep Jeff in most games.

I do think Jeff needs to/must set up some type of rotation in the D-line since they are running a 3-5-3. With the size they have on the D-line (or lack of size), the D-ends and the Nose-tackle cannot take the pounding from 250+ O-linemen for 4 quarters in 5/6A ball and stay healthy, or expect to win. IMHO

The rest of the Jeff D looks great. Jeff-Co needs to get Thomas Cook (LB, Sr.) healthy and back to playing (the kid had 70+ tackles last year), but Parker Denton, Brad Mason, Eric Cain and crew should give the Jeff-Co fans a lot to cheer about in ’09. They swarm to the ball.

The offence is well, heart stopping to watch.

Very Nice long pass play to set up a NO score.

Anthony Goins has a good arm to go with the speed. Bo Asmus has sure hands and made a good run after catch. The option/pass will be a good play for Jeff-Co, but they will need to figure out which side of the line is strongest and run that way. Back-side protection will be key.

Jeff-Co will miss not having a “bruiser” Fullback this year in short yardage situations. Unless they convert someone quickly to that job, 3rd and 1 could end up being 4th and 3 if they decide to run up the middle. They have some speed in the backfield, just not the size to punch it up the middle.

Special teams, hummmmm, Jeff-Co has one heck of a Freshmen punter. That kid must be part mule. He had a bomb punt in the Freshmen Jamboree game vs. Morristown West. Nice!!!

Field goal/extra point team should be reliable, do not know about Kickoff/return team, see above.

Season Outlook as of week 0: From what I have seen Jeff-Co should finish 7-3 or 6-4. 8-2 or better is attainable, IF they make a few minor adjustments and get the “good old lucky breaks” to go their way. But that is football. :mrgreen:

Greenville will be a tough test on the road. Winning up there will be a challenge, but it can be done.

Go Patriots!!!

My 2 Cents