umpires needed

sandbagger

Just suffered our first district loss, 5-4, had tying run at 3rd in bottom of 7th with 2 outs - great back and forth game. If you call at Middle wave up to the pressbox - got anything ya want to hear? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If our A.D. wouldn't schedule Farragut twice we might be 18-2 instead of 16-4 /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The road to Spring Fling is pretty tough in our neck of the woods this year - some pretty good arms for those Monday and Friday games....

LOL, see if you can find "Patches" by Clarence Carter, I love that song.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone in District 8AAA want to see 3 man umpiring crews, complain to the coaches. They are the ones who voted it down for district games this season.

that's because the coaches know, much to disbelief of fans, that the addition/coverage of 1 more umpire on the field does not offset the added cost. 2 umpires or 3, the game is still decided by the players.

And a good 2 man crew can work just as well, if not better, than a 3 man crew. In certain situations you may actually have missed coverages using 3-man with a crew member who is inexperienced at 3 man mechanics.

LOL, see if you can find "Patches" by Clarence Carter, I love that song.

I have CC's greatest hits CD - has some songs I can't play at Middle on it /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

that's because the coaches know, much to disbelief of fans, that the addition/coverage of 1 more umpire on the field does not offset the added cost. 2 umpires or 3, the game is still decided by the players.

And a good 2 man crew can work just as well, if not better, than a 3 man crew. In certain situations you may actually have missed coverages using 3-man with a crew member who is inexperienced at 3 man mechanics.

A couple of calls that 3-man crew really helps is balks on left-handers' move to first and check swings... agreed?

A couple of calls that 3-man crew really helps is balks on left-handers' move to first and check swings... agreed?

Without a doubt, but it's not worth it to a coach on a tight budget and 3-man does not always provide you with the benefit you would expect (i.e. R1 with U1 in "A" (behind 1st)and U3 in "C" (SS area on grass). In this, and many other situations, the benefit of the 3rd umpire (U3 behind 3rd) for viewing a check-swing on a LH batter is lost. Same for RH batter when U1 has moved to the infield.

Don't get me wrong, working 3-man, when done right, is overall more beneficial to all involved and would make our job easier but for most programs the cost vs. benefit doesn't substantiate it.

Without a doubt, but it's not worth it to a coach on a tight budget and 3-man does not always provide you with the benefit you would expect (i.e. R1 with U1 in "A" (behind 1st)and U3 in "C" (SS area on grass). In this, and many other situations, the benefit of the 3rd umpire (U3 behind 3rd) for viewing a check-swing on a LH batter is lost. Same for RH batter when U1 has moved to the infield.

Don't get me wrong, working 3-man, when done right, is overall more beneficial to all involved and would make our job easier but for most programs the cost vs. benefit doesn't substantiate it.

I think the overall benefit of the 3 man outweighs the benefit of the 2 man..in fact a few weeks ago against white county something happened to the 3rd ump and had he been there about 3 or 4 calls would have gone the other way...i also think that more pick off plays will be called better instead of being in the middle of the feild to make the call you are in a perfect spot and angle to make that call...i will give up a check swing call that is lost no matter where the feild umpire is for the other benefits

I think the overall benefit of the 3 man outweighs the benefit of the 2 man..in fact a few weeks ago against white county something happened to the 3rd ump and had he been there about 3 or 4 calls would have gone the other way...i also think that more pick off plays will be called better instead of being in the middle of the feild to make the call you are in a perfect spot and angle to make that call...i will give up a check swing call that is lost no matter where the feild umpire is for the other benefits

Agreed there is no doubt the 3man outweighs 2man (insert own joke here). Just trying to point out that the "small school budget" doesn't typically support a 3rd guy and that's probably why it's not seen more often.

Agreed there is no doubt the 3man outweighs 2man (insert own joke here). Just trying to point out that the "small school budget" doesn't typically support a 3rd guy and that's probably why it's not seen more often.

well until the "umpires" around west tn pick it up they shouldnt be making more than 50 dollors a game anyways ....like i said before its not hard to call balls and strikes for a guy topping out at 82 with a curve ball at 65 and thats a pretty good pitcher in high school ...they should simply be better .....and for all u talking about the game times being a factor just stop ...u could pull anybody out of the stands to do as good a job as the real "umpires" now..when they start calling good games then they can have a say in what time the game starts if its come to that but the way it is now they should be happy they still get paid ...(this is not talking about all umpires)

I still remember in '04 or '05 there was tournament at Oakland where an umpire baited a player to argue with him so he could toss him. While the batter was on deck he was talking to a coach in the dugout and there was a foul ball back into the net. The umpire pointed at him to get the ball and the batter in the on deck circle was not paying attention so the umpire had to go get the ball. Apparently the umpire had no desire to get the ball. The first pitch was about a foot off the plate which was called a strike. The batter was displeased. The second pitch was a little further off the plate and called a strike, which again the batter was upset and and stepped out of the box to compose himself. The umpire directed him to get right back into the box. For the third pitch the catcher lined up off the plate again and the umpire tapped him to go a little further off the plate. The pitcher hit the mitt which was about 2 feet off the plate and was promptly call a strike. The batter looked back and said come on and instantly got tossed. Hopefully that is the last game this umpire was involved in.

I think in that same tournament there was an umpire that lost track of balls and strikes which to me is unacceptable for an umpiring crew.

Just when you think you've seen it all.

Tonight at the JCS vs Riverside game.....keep in mind that this was game one of district play between the two teams........get this!!!!!! The field ump was on his cell phone while the ball was put into play by the home team.... Jackson Christian School. He said as he watched the ball go by, "I gotta go....they just hit the ball!!!!!"

If I'm lying I'm dying!!!!!!!

Another well known local ump was in attendance and had this to say as his comrade was engaged in conversation on the phone, "What's my boy doin' on the phone out there?"

I kid you not.....it happened.

Can you see a football referee running down the sidelines with cell phone to his ear and saying as the quarterback hurls the ball down field, "I gotta go....he just throwed the ball."

How about on the basketball court.

I don't guess I'm complaining, just thought it was a little more serious than that. If I was a coach on either team I'd call time and let him take a phone break.....maybe even a smoke or even a bar-b-que bologna sandwich break...LOL!!!!! lmbo!!!!

Just when you think you've seen it all.

Tonight at the JCS vs Riverside game.....keep in mind that this was game one of district play between the two teams........get this!!!!!! The field ump was on his cell phone while the ball was put into play by the home team.... Jackson Christian School. He said as he watched the ball go by, "I gotta go....they just hit the ball!!!!!"

If I'm lying I'm dying!!!!!!!

Another well known local ump was in attendance and had this to say as his comrade was engaged in conversation on the phone, "What's my boy doin' on the phone out there?"

I kid you not.....it happened.

Can you see a football referee running down the sidelines with cell phone to his ear and saying as the quarterback hurls the ball down field, "I gotta go....he just throwed the ball."

How about on the basketball court.

I don't guess I'm complaining, just thought it was a little more serious than that. If I was a coach on either team I'd call time and let him take a phone break.....maybe even a smoke or even a bar-b-que bologna sandwich break...LOL!!!!! lmbo!!!!

Yeah, you are complaning, but...............

if this acutally happened......both coaches should file a complaint with the TSSAA.

Yeah. Cell phones in the car during games. He'll hear about that one from his association I imagine.

I haven't seen any terrible umpiring in our district. I think the guys do a good job for the most part and I don't think the umpires would be opposed to a 3 man crew so much as the coaches that have to pay for it.

Mostly what I see and hear is fans that don't know the rules. Tonight a guy stuck his bat out to bunt. In my opinion he moved his bat towards the ball, but the argument was that he left his bat out there. So? Sticking your bat out there doesn't make it a 'yes, he went'. Moving the bat towards the ball makes it a strike.

Tonight a guy stuck his bat out to bunt. In my opinion he moved his bat towards the ball, but the argument was that he left his bat out there. So? Sticking your bat out there doesn't make it a 'yes, he went'. Moving the bat towards the ball makes it a strike.

There may have been some confusion with the parties involved. In baseball, the batter can leave the bat in the zone without "attempting" to contact the ball. I believe in softball this year, a rule change requires the batter to withdraw the bat from the zone. In other words, in softball, leaving the bat in the zone without attempting to make contact is now a strike.

Don't know if this rules difference had any bearing on how this but just offering some info.