umpires needed

sandbagger

Wow!! I've been umpiring since umpire school in 1973...all umpires want are pitchers that throw strikes, fielders that make plays and batters that swing the bat...Is that asking too much? For the love of the game we take the games that are assigned to us...not all games are fun, but they are better than sitting in the office....what I'm trying to say is with a good attitude, good training, knowledge of the rules, and a little hustle anyone can umpire...I've had good games and bad games throughout my umpiring career, but I wouldn't change a thing...I have a doubleheader tomorrow, I don't even know who is playing, but I'm looking forward to the games and pray it doesn't rain, all I want are pitchers that throw strikes, etc.

I thank God everyday that I can do something that I love and get paid for it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switch' have a great double-header tomorrow!

I saw a great George Will column in my local paper today and another one of his from a couple of years ago:

Diamond-Hard Integrity

and

WILL: Umpires expected to be perfect

Umpires are used to having their eyesight questioned ??” when someone criticized Bruce Froeming's, he said, "The sun is 93 million miles away, and I can see that" ??” but their integrity is unquestioned. As Weber notes, players, not umpires, conspired to fix the 1919 World Series; a manager (Pete Rose), not an umpire, was banned from baseball for betting on games. As umpires say, "If they played by the honor system, they wouldn't need us."

CubCadet - 7AAA has gone to 3 men in blue for district games... I wish you could have been at Lindsey Nelson last Saturday to see a great example of an umpire not comporting himself very well in the field...

Situation: 2 man crew, men on first and third, two outs

Check Swing by right hand batter - from 3rd base dugout it looked like he went. Our catcher appeals to base umpire.

His reply - "I didn't see it, pitcher was in the way". A fan in the stands, not anyone in the dugout, comments to the effect of "Get where you can see it then!". He turns to the fan and yells back something to the effect I will stand where I think I need to stand and then our coach starts out of the dugout to ask him about it and he yells at Coach that he doesn't like his attitude and doesn't want to hear anymore from him - this is the top of the first and our coach's first interaction with him - not a great way to start a game - agreed?

The only other experience that comes to mind this year was an umpire in Chattanooga did something I have never seen in 40+ years of being at a ballfield. Same situation, a check swing - catcher asks for an appeal - home plate umpire says rather nastily "I said he didn't swing and I don't need any help!" Up until that moment I thought it was always a courtesy for the plate umpire to ask for help.... Isn't it??? I just took it for granted.....

Runners on 1st and 3rd, the field umpire is not in position to make a call on a checked swing. Home Plate ump shouldn't haven't even asked him. Umps should never say 'I didn't see it" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> and shouldn't discuss with fans.

On your second one, the ump just had bad attitude. If I'm behind the plate and I know the batter didn't swing, then it's my call. But, i'll make the call with a good attitude. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

CubCadet - you know me and how I feel about umpires /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I know for sure that in Warren County, that only a 2 man crew is used for all games. There was 3 man crews last year or so for the district games but I guess that the economy got in the way or something..It is so much better to have that 3rd guy out there for many many reasons. The checked swings from either side, the balks, better base and outfield catch/no catch coverage, deep foul balls etc. I have noticed that most districts are using the 3 man for dist. games. It doesn't cost THAT much more for the third guy because the first 2 dont make hardly as much for the game because of the 3 man crew. It sure makes it easier for the umpires, no doubt. I would recommend that popcorn or hotdog prices go up a lttle bit to help cover the costs, if needed, and this is advice coming from a fat kid!!!!! But really it makes for a better game because when the 3 man works right, it really improves the chances on blue getting the right look. Nothing prettier than when the guys know their job and perform it well. As for the umpire mouthing off to the fan, he should really know better. No place where that is ness. A person , coach or teacher, whatever they do , cannot demand respect....they has to earn it. An umpire does it by being professional in his appearance, knowledge of the rules, hustle, and treatly everybody fairly and equally respectful. If a fan gets unruly or whatever the ump can say something to the coach or just send for security or the police. I would really hate to do that but it may be ness. Seems like the adults are usually the ones who mess things up for the kids. Dont you agree?

I have to admit there may be some guys wearing the blue that may be a little out their league sometimes, but like the old saying goes,"good help is really hard to find sometimes". With all the middle schools starting programs etc, it is taking more and more umpires each night and there just not that many wanting to get out there and take the abuse that some of them have to..I often wonder why we do it..It sure aint about the money...Its about the love of the game and wanting to see it played well and fairly.

For anyone wanting to get out there and show what they know...there is plenty of training available. Just contact the local assigner and get started. PLAY BALL!!!

1. I understand they aren't professionals; that this is what they do besides their real job.

2. I also understand that they are legitimately doing their best and certainly not intentionally making bad calls.

3. However...guys...the strike zone is the strike zone. Please call it. One guy gives a way high zone, and nothing below about 4 inches above the knee, the next guy only gives shin to belt, the next guy gives it high one pitch and low the next. It is very difficult to pitch OR hit when the strike zone is a moving target. This invites the criticism.

I know for sure that in Warren County, that only a 2 man crew is used for all games.

So far this season, when Riverdale has played games in Murfreesboro (home games and at Siegel) in 7-AAA we had had 3-man crews. When we have been on the road at White Co, Warren Co and Cookeville there were 2-man crews...... May be my associations?

1. I understand they aren't professionals; that this is what they do besides their real job.

2. I also understand that they are legitimately doing their best and certainly not intentionally making bad calls.

3. However...guys...the strike zone is the strike zone. Please call it. One guy gives a way high zone, and nothing below about 4 inches above the knee, the next guy only gives shin to belt, the next guy gives it high one pitch and low the next. It is very difficult to pitch OR hit when the strike zone is a moving target. This invites the criticism.

Actually, what you hope for is that the umpire behind the plate is consistent from the first pitch to the last. It's up to players and coaches to adjust. What is unfair is a strike zone that moves from inning to inning or pitch to pitch. Thankfully I don't see it that bad around here. I don't like some guys strike zone but as long as they stay consistent there's really nothing to grip about. This is where the talk of umps favoring one team. Saw a guy in Florida a couple weeks ago weaving like a DUI. I thought here we go, came all this way to get hose so bad the host team's parents look embarrassed. Then all of a sudden his calls start favoring us . . . some genuinely horrible ball-strike calls. THANKFULLY we don't see that much at all. Another guy down there had an incredibly tight strike zone but he was very consistent all 8 innings. Can't gripe about that. At least he was fair.

Yeah, I mean why argue the balls and strikes. They are JUDGEMENT calls. Text book definitions of the strike zone still require you to set up on the inside of the plate and make a call whether a ball on the outside corner was an inch off the plate. It's still angle and getting in the slot. Up and down is about all that anybody can see unless they are right behind the umpire. It's a strike if it cuts the cube of the strike zone which mean its in the zone at the front of the plate, but not at the back or a curve ball is not a strike at the front plane of the plate but breaks into the cube towards the back.

It's not as easy as it looks.

So far this season, when Riverdale has played games in Murfreesboro (home games and at Siegel) in 7-AAA we had had 3-man crews. When we have been on the road at White Co, Warren Co and Cookeville there were 2-man crews...... May be my associations?

Unfortunately, we only work 3-man during most of the District tournaments here in Chattanooga. I truly wish we would do it more often, much better coverages, etc. as others have said.

On a side note, how is Riverdale doing? I had them for 2 games here in McCallie's tournament and they looked solid. I hope to see you guys in May, I understand I will be there, so hope to see yall.

Unfortunately, we only work 3-man during most of the District tournaments here in Chattanooga. I truly wish we would do it more often, much better coverages, etc. as others have said.

On a side note, how is Riverdale doing? I had them for 2 games here in McCallie's tournament and they looked solid. I hope to see you guys in May, I understand I will be there, so hope to see yall.

Just suffered our first district loss, 5-4, had tying run at 3rd in bottom of 7th with 2 outs - great back and forth game. If you call at Middle wave up to the pressbox - got anything ya want to hear? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If our A.D. wouldn't schedule Farragut twice we might be 18-2 instead of 16-4 /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The road to Spring Fling is pretty tough in our neck of the woods this year - some pretty good arms for those Monday and Friday games....

If anyone in District 8AAA want to see 3 man umpiring crews, complain to the coaches. They are the ones who voted it down for district games this season.