umpires needed

sandbagger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may have been some confusion with the parties involved. In baseball, the batter can leave the bat in the zone without "attempting" to contact the ball. I believe in softball this year, a rule change requires the batter to withdraw the bat from the zone. In other words, in softball, leaving the bat in the zone without attempting to make contact is now a strike.

Don't know if this rules difference had any bearing on how this but just offering some info.

That is interesting. I wonder why the difference? It is a judgement call as to whether the intent is for the batter to make an attempt at the ball, but most of the time it's pretty clear. The instinct is for the batter to withdraw the bat from the zone.

yall can say umpires are bad all you want to but untill you get back dont talk bad about them. when you get back there and the pitcher hits a spot right at the knees but the catcher drops his mitt to the ground. do you call it a strike or a ball? both teams will be mad no matter what you call.

catcher sets up out, pitcher misses in just off the plate. its a strike if he hits his spot there but not since the catcher moved his mitt 18". no matter what you call both teams are mad! one view is that he moved the mitt the other is the ump has call that all night. what do you do?

I can go on if yall want me to. but yes there are bad umpires. when all you have to do is pay $55 and pass an open book test its not going to get better.

yall can say umpires are bad all you want to but untill you get back dont talk bad about them. when you get back there and the pitcher hits a spot right at the knees but the catcher drops his mitt to the ground. do you call it a strike or a ball? both teams will be mad no matter what you call.

catcher sets up out, pitcher misses in just off the plate. its a strike if he hits his spot there but not since the catcher moved his mitt 18". no matter what you call both teams are mad! one view is that he moved the mitt the other is the ump has call that all night. what do you do?

I can go on if yall want me to. but yes there are bad umpires. when all you have to do is pay $55 and pass an open book test its not going to get better.

I saw this last week. Pitch #1..Strike swinging(0-1)...#2 Strike swinging(0-2)...#3 ball outside(1-2) BUT WAIT...

umpire in field (standing in short RF) says "I called time out before the second pitch, count is 1-1" Not a single person in the park heard him call time,including his partner, the HP umpire. Absolutly pitiful.

When both sides of the field are constantly complaining, guess what... BLUE IS BAD. They missed a good game!

Suggestion:

STOP ###### AND MOANING ABOUT THE UMPIRING!

BE PART OF THE SOLUTION, SIGN UP TO UMPIRE.

dont be so sensative LOL...In every thing we do not only umpires but in the work place there going to be good and bad are some umps not very good SURE but give them a few years of training and experience they will get better if they want too...

dont be so sensative LOL...In every thing we do not only umpires but in the work place there going to be good and bad are some umps not very good SURE but give them a few years of training and experience they will get better if they want too...

What happens sometimes is, the same old umps call most of the games. Most of us have seen them call and disapprove of them, because we know the way they call. Yet, we get the same ones! The assigners think you are getting the best when, really your getting their pick!! yes or no? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I saw this last week. Pitch #1..Strike swinging(0-1)...#2 Strike swinging(0-2)...#3 ball outside(1-2) BUT WAIT...

umpire in field (standing in short RF) says "I called time out before the second pitch, count is 1-1" Not a single person in the park heard him call time,including his partner, the HP umpire. Absolutly pitiful.

When both sides of the field are constantly complaining, guess what... BLUE IS BAD. They missed a good game!

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Are you sure about this sequence?

Somebody was "asleep at the wheel"; umpires, coaches, scorekeeper, players, fans.

Notice I put fans last.?

What happens sometimes is, the same old umps call most of the games. Most of us have seen them call and disapprove of them, because we know the way they call. Yet, we get the same ones! The assigners think you are getting the best when, really your getting their pick!! yes or no? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

im not going to take that bait

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Are you sure about this sequence?

Somebody was "asleep at the wheel"; umpires, coaches, scorekeeper, players, fans.

Notice I put fans last.?

Yeah I'm sure..Umpires (lost)..Coaches (questioned)..Scorekeeper(couldn't hear from pressbox)..players (knew the umps were wrong)..Fans (many, including myself almost got TOSSED!) The whole game was on the verge of a riot.

Yeah I'm sure..Umpires (lost)..Coaches (questioned)..Scorekeeper(couldn't hear from pressbox)..players (knew the umps were wrong)..Fans (many, including myself almost got TOSSED!) The whole game was on the verge of a riot.

I guess the reason I asked is because if the ump says he called time "before the second pitch" - on the third pitch; then officially only 1 pitch had been thrown.

How could the count be 1-1 with only one pitch being thrown? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />