7AAA

coachof3

Neither team should get a trophy or runner-up. No championship game was played. Riverdale doesn't have another win. Siegel doesn't have another loss. The championship game never took place.

Now, if they both win Tuesday, why not give the district and region championship to the winner of Thursday's game?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the whole "cheering for the team that has not been there yet" or "let someone else win for a change" but the facts remain, good coaching, good players and lots of heart has put Riverdale in this position again. Weather is a variable that cannot be controlled. When Riverdale decided to play on Monday night last week (scheduled day) people cried foul. Now that they cannot play due to weather people are crying foul. Sunday is Mother's day and Monday is the night before a knock out game. Siegel will get their chance and they may win against Riverdale but we cannot change things that cannot be changed.

I understand the whole "cheering for the team that has not been there yet" or "let someone else win for a change" but the facts remain, good coaching, good players and lots of heart has put Riverdale in this position again. Weather is a variable that cannot be controlled. When Riverdale decided to play on Monday night last week (scheduled day) people cried foul. Now that they cannot play due to weather people are crying foul. Sunday is Mother's day and Monday is the night before a knock out game. Siegel will get their chance and they may win against Riverdale but we cannot change things that cannot be changed.

I would say that Siegel has just as much good coaching, good players, and heart as Riverdale has. From last year's season to this year's season, Siegel has made a complete 180. And I think that when people don't support a decision of naming Riverdale as the district champions, it is not because of sympathy towards Siegel. It's fairness to a team that worked just as hard to get in the same position as Riverdale.

I would say that Siegel has just as much good coaching, good players, and heart as Riverdale has. From last year's season to this year's season, Siegel has made a complete 180. And I think that when people don't support a decision of naming Riverdale as the district champions, it is not because of sympathy towards Siegel. It's fairness to a team that worked just as hard to get in the same position as Riverdale.

I agree. I believe that the best way to settle this all is to hope both teams advance to the regional finals. Then, play for both trophies. Siegel has put just as much effort and heart into thier playing then riverdale so you cant say that is why riverdale should get it. Yes riverdale beat siegel in distric play during regular season. But, they had a bad night at finishing if you look at the stats from that game siegel had 8 on frame shots. All were deflected, saves, or weak shots. 6 of thoses being weak shots. Riverdale had a total of 3 2 went in i was a deflection off our player. So by looking at that if siegel could have finished they could have won. They had a big chance sat night. They need to be given that chance somehow. So lets all hope both advance to regional finals.

I think you are missing the point. It is not about favoritism or liking one team over another. It is about finishing what has been started and following past practices. The game could have been played some way or another. The other district got their game in even though they had to go to a later start time to get the field into playing condition. I don't buy the bit about not playing on Sunday afternoon because it is Mother's Day. Sorry, but the girls are playing today down in Chattanooga for the Division III State Championship. Riverdale could have used the field out in front of their school this afternoon. Finally, this is the problem that I have with setting this precedent, now that this has been started, how will future situations be decided? They are calling for bad weather all this week. What happens if none of the Regional games are able to be played because of the weather? Two teams out of this region are supposed to play on Saturday in the sub-state: who gets to advance if none of the regional games are played due to weather? How would you make the decision? See, once you go down this path there is no stopping. In the past, we made every effort to get the district games in. This included even moving the games to a different city where a playable field was. I know because I was a part of those decisions in the past to find another field somewhere to get the district game in. The game could have been and should have been played.

I know columbia had aready set a 2:00 time for a game on Sunday, so yes the game could have been played. there are alot of travel players on these teams, this would not have been moms first Mothers Day at a soccer field. I really think that it shows a lack of respect for Columbia and Franklin Co. to say ok we won't play today it is too wet so when we get to the reg. finals we will decide both trophies. columbia gave riverdale all they wanted the first meeting. and both district 8 teams are playing with as much heart as any one in the state. I hope the district 8 boys are reading these post from the players in 7 and play with a chip on their shoulders. This is a new season the past is the just that, please ya'll keep looking forward to Thursday night!

I think you are missing the point. It is not about favoritism or liking one team over another. It is about finishing what has been started and following past practices. The game could have been played some way or another. The other district got their game in even though they had to go to a later start time to get the field into playing condition. I don't buy the bit about not playing on Sunday afternoon because it is Mother's Day. Sorry, but the girls are playing today down in Chattanooga for the Division III State Championship. Riverdale could have used the field out in front of their school this afternoon. Finally, this is the problem that I have with setting this precedent, now that this has been started, how will future situations be decided? They are calling for bad weather all this week. What happens if none of the Regional games are able to be played because of the weather? Two teams out of this region are supposed to play on Saturday in the sub-state: who gets to advance if none of the regional games are played due to weather? How would you make the decision? See, once you go down this path there is no stopping. In the past, we made every effort to get the district games in. This included even moving the games to a different city where a playable field was. I know because I was a part of those decisions in the past to find another field somewhere to get the district game in. The game could have been and should have been played.

Since the tournament host (Vice) wouldn't host the Championship game, the only other fair thing to do is let the highest seed have home-field. Done. Then they scheduled the game the safest day they could, enough rest after the other district games and enough rest before a knockout game in regionals. As the article says Arman and Shelton both met at the field and decided it was unfavorable conditions, BUT Arman understood Siegel was the team who could improve their standing and gave Shelton the choice to either play the game or advance as #2, no PKs. Shelton decided that it was best to not play, end of story. Seeing as RHS is #1 seed they should receive the District Championship plaque and Siegel should receive Runner-up. I know it may seem unfair, but you can't play one game for 2 trophies. So Siegel should just take the Runner-up and hope to have a chance at Regionals. If it happens that RHS v. SHS is the Regional Final sobeit.

And to answer the question on if Regionals are unplayable, it is my understanding that both #1s would go through. A crying shame for Siegel if that would happen...

Since the tournament host (Vice) wouldn't host the Championship game, the only other fair thing to do is let the highest seed have home-field. Done. Then they scheduled the game the safest day they could, enough rest after the other district games and enough rest before a knockout game in regionals. As the article says Arman and Shelton both met at the field and decided it was unfavorable conditions, BUT Arman understood Siegel was the team who could improve their standing and gave Shelton the choice to either play the game or advance as #2, no PKs. Shelton decided that it was best to not play, end of story. Seeing as RHS is #1 seed they should receive the District Championship plaque and Siegel should receive Runner-up. I know it may seem unfair, but you can't play one game for 2 trophies. So Siegel should just take the Runner-up and hope to have a chance at Regionals. If it happens that RHS v. SHS is the Regional Final sobeit.

And to answer the question on if Regionals are unplayable, it is my understanding that both #1s would go through. A crying shame for Siegel if that would happen...

It wont happen siegel has worked to hard and at least should have a chance. They will play and will find a way to play. Shelton wont let siegel go out with out a fight i do agree with about half of what you say. Yes shelton did agree. That is true but i do believe he agreeded to this so siegel could have rest before the knock out game.

I believe Coach Shelton has the bigger picture in mind and made his decision on what he thought was best for his team. He's a smart and proven coach,Im sure he didn't make this decision lightly. But for Riverdale to assume they "deserve" the title of district tournament champions because of their hard work all season that got them to this point is just wrong. Even though it is a great accomplishment for the team,realistically, the only thing an unbeaten season in district play gets you is the number one seed in the tournament. Once post season play begins, its a whole new season. Both teams will have to prove themselves all over again and what happened in regular season play doesn't matter. Hopefully, both teams will get that shot in a Regional Finals matchup.

I believe Coach Shelton has the bigger picture in mind and made his decision on what he thought was best for his team. He's a smart and proven coach,Im sure he didn't make this decision lightly. But for Riverdale to assume they "deserve" the title of district tournament champions because of their hard work all season that got them to this point is just wrong. Even though it is a great accomplishment for the team,realistically, the only thing an unbeaten season in district play gets you is the number one seed in the tournament. Once post season play begins, its a whole new season. Both teams will have to prove themselves all over again and what happened in regular season play doesn't matter. Hopefully, both teams will get that shot in a Regional Finals matchup.

Coach Shelton made the call not to play the game on Saturday. That decision is why Riverdale has been named District Champions. If the roles were reversed and Coach Arman chose not to play, then Siegel would have been named Champions for the same reasons Riverdale was. Home field advantage is a big deal, but Coach Shelton was aware of this when he made his decision. Instead of complaining about what Riverdale does or does not deserve, maybe you should be asking your coach about his decision. Riverdale needs to make no apologies for the position they are in, they weren't the team with two losses in district play. Time to move on to Regional play.

Coach Shelton made the call not to play the game on Saturday. That decision is why Riverdale has been named District Champions. If the roles were reversed and Coach Arman chose not to play, then Siegel would have been named Champions for the same reasons Riverdale was. Home field advantage is a big deal, but Coach Shelton was aware of this when he made his decision. Instead of complaining about what Riverdale does or does not deserve, maybe you should be asking your coach about his decision. Riverdale needs to make no apologies for the position they are in, they weren't the team with two losses in district play. Time to move on to Regional play.

WOW!!! I didn't know I had sole decision making powers in the district. In that case....

Realistically, It also gets you a District title if your opponent want play you. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Lets be honest with one another......For some teams a District title is what some teams and coaches shoot for before the season begins, but I don't think that is what Coach Shelton was shooting for (He's looking at the big picture). He wants a trip to the State Tourney and a chance to play for a State title. While I'm sure it's disappointing that the game couldn't be played...I would think Coach Shelton has bigger plans.