Violation of Title IX- quality coaching?

sweet tea

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> What constitutes a violation??? If a team has "quality" coaching in boy's sports - basketball, football & baseball, but claim that they cannot get "anyone" to coach a girl's sport - softball - is it a violation in regards to equality in regards to there only being two sports for girls vs three for boys?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> What constitutes a violation??? If a team has "quality" coaching in boy's sports - basketball, football & baseball, but claim that they cannot get "anyone" to coach a girl's sport - softball - is it a violation in regards to equality in regards to there only being two sports for girls vs three for boys?

"In regards" to this question.........I don't get it?

2 sports for girls???? My daughter played soccer, basketball, and softball. could have chose golf, tennis, track, vollyball, or bowling.

"Quality" coaching is just a matter of opinion.

Just look all across Coacht.

He/She is a "quality" coach. No they aren't. Yes they are. No they aren't. Yes they are. No they aren't. so on and so on and so on......................... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The answer to the core of your question is pretty strait forward....girls must be provided with equal opportunities to compete in a comperable number of sports. In other words, if there are 100 "positions" availabe on boys sports teams then there should be roughly 100 "positions" available for girls to compete in organized sports. The compostion of sports will be different as girls do not play football, so other sports like vollyball or soccer should be establish to insure an equal opportunity to compete in sports is available to all students, regardless of gender.

In a situation where a baseball team exists but there is no softball program (a classic comparison) the school must do whatever is necessary to provide an opportunity for girls to play softball.

This situation is very likely a violation of Title IX, and in my opinion should be taken to the school district's Title IX Compliance Officer (federal law requires they have one and that they perform an annual survey and report any deficiencies to the school board) for resolution. If they fail to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, get in touch with the Office of Civil Rights, U S Department of Education in Atlanta.

The answer to the core of your question is pretty strait forward....girls must be provided with equal opportunities to compete in a comperable number of sports. In other words, if there are 100 "positions" availabe on boys sports teams then there should be roughly 100 "positions" available for girls to compete in organized sports. The compostion of sports will be different as girls do not play football, so other sports like vollyball or soccer should be establish to insure an equal opportunity to compete in sports is available to all students, regardless of gender.

In a situation where a baseball team exists but there is no softball program (a classic comparison) the school must do whatever is necessary to provide an opportunity for girls to play softball.

This situation is very likely a violation of Title IX, and in my opinion should be taken to the school district's Title IX Compliance Officer (federal law requires they have one and that they perform an annual survey and report any deficiencies to the school board) for resolution. If they fail to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, get in touch with the Office of Civil Rights, U S Department of Education in Atlanta.

If you want a lawyer who knows this stuff inside and out try the Father Ryan's coach, he got a lot done for the folks in Chattanooga area his name is Phil Davidson I believe. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

That apparently isn't tea's problem. The sport exists, just not the "quality" of coaching he wants.

I agree "Cowboy" could this be daddy ball? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

no daddy's here! the situation is this: in softball, we have been told repeatly that "nobody" wants to coach softball at our school so we must accept the current coach even though she isn't interested in building or improving the program- BUT - when we need a "quality" football coach, a new coach is hired -

That apparently isn't tea's problem. The sport exists, just not the "quality" of coaching he wants.

Absolutely - not just the quality of not only the coaching, but the intregity of the program - any improvement would be welcomed! As a fan of the game, it quite an embarrasement to see the same tired old tactics year after year that won't & don't work while others in our District improve . . . we even have girls in Middle School that won't play in High School because of the coaching staff! ! ! And it's not the athletes - these same girls excel in summer ball !

no daddy's here! the situation is this: in softball, we have been told repeatly that "nobody" wants to coach softball at our school so we must accept the current coach even though she isn't interested in building or improving the program- BUT - when we need a "quality" football coach, a new coach is hired -

You live in the same world as the rest of us. Football produces way more revenue, so it is going to get the nod over softball every time. Not going to change. No title violation here not even close. But I don't understand if you excell in a sport in the summer, how can any coach make you less talented. You still catch, hit, run the bases, etc no matter who the coach is. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It seems I misunderstood your original statement. Given that a softball program exists I am afraid the quality issue is not something Title IX addresses directly, assuming facilities and funding are comperable.

You might want to be sure that these two things are equal, and if they are then it is a matter of finding a coach that is; (a) a good quality coach (using whose criteria?), and (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> interested in a whole lot of work for not much material benefit. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Good luck!