jackson sun west tenn player and coach of the year

wtspfan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heather Butler of Gibson County was named player of the year along with her coach Kevin McMillian bein named coach of the year

Lets hear your thoughts

two very good choices! shouldnt really be a surprise to anyone.... other than maybe Fussell from Obion, but heather was the heart and soul of the undefeated state champs so thats what gets her the title!

I think fussell hands down should have been player of the year the award is not player of the year on the best team. I think patterson and stevenson would have been good choices also but can't argue about mcmillan.

I saw them play head to head in Region Semi-Final. The correct choice was made.

Fussell is a great player.....Butler is a great player that made her team a great team.

Are you arguing for Fussell with this statement?

Butler deserves this award....

Look at post #6.............That's why I posted what I did....

Maybe it's because I have seen Fussell many more times than Butler but I have never seen a girl in this area play like Fussell....I'm not that big a fan of girl's basketball but players like Rechis from Westview, Butler from Gibson County and Fussell from Obion Central have made me like it better....

You couldn't go wrong with giving the award to Rechis,Butler or Fussell but to say you give the award to Butler because her team won the state championship is the wrong reason....If you put Rechis or Fussell on the Gibson County team that won the state championship you still have a team that wins the state championship...Heather's supporting cast was just so much better than Westview's or Obion Central's....Chassidy did what she did this year basically on her own...Had she had only two more players on her team consistently score in double figures and take the load off Central would have gone further than they did...They weren't that far off as it was....

I didn't say Butler didn't deserve the award......Chassidy Fussell deserves it as well as Amber Rechis....Any of those three would be good choices....

IF it comes down to it, I'd love to see the season shooting percentages between Butler and Fussell! Fussell may have scored more, but I'd bet money that Butler's FG % was a tad bit better! I'd love to also look at who had more assist. If I remember correctly, in the Region semi's that GC won, Fussell had ZERO assist and dropped about 25 points. However, her team lost by 30..... does anyone see anything wrong there?

Heather Butler should be the clear winner of this years award. She led a team to a perfect 35-0 record, was the leader on the team AND brought home a state championship, all as a Junior!!!!! Congrats to her as well as Coach McMillan. I'd love to see another undefeated season next year for Butler, Griffin, Reedy and all of the other Seniors!!!!!!!

Congrats to Heather and Kevin on their honors. They are very deserving.

Not to comment either way, but since GCPioneer asked:

Heather Butler - 19.9 ppg, 43.2 3-pt., 84.5 FT, 4.1 spg, 1.4 apg

Chassidy Fussell - 30.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 34.0 3-pt., 79.1 FT, 2.7 spg, 3.9 apg

Couldn't find FG percentages. Stats from Jackson Sun.

Congrats to Heather and Kevin on their honors. They are very deserving.

Not to comment either way, but since GCPioneer asked:

Heather Butler - 19.9 ppg, 43.2 3-pt., 84.5 FT, 4.1 spg, 1.4 apg

Chassidy Fussell - 30.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 34.0 3-pt., 79.1 FT, 2.7 spg, 3.9 apg

Couldn't find FG percentages. Stats from Jackson Sun.

Look, we all know that when there are two really good players the one that is able to LEAD their team to a championship USUALLY gets MVP or Player of the Year or whatever.... if the award had been decided on before regionals Fussell may have won it. Thats just the human nature of the whole thing.... its like that at every level in every sport (amature, college, pro).

Side note: Do you people realize that you could just about make an all state starting five out of 13aa next year.

PG: Butler

SG: Reichis (sorry about spelling)

F: Fussel

PF: Griffin

C: the post for GC from OC.... cant think of the name for some reason