Wartburg 2009

Sounds like Ellison has that defense lookin good. Must have had a good off season. Correct me if I am wrong, this is the 2nd year for that staff being together. Sounds like the rebuilding is moving along quickly. Keep it up Dawgs.

Great offseason all the way around. Kids are stronger, quicker, and have great work ethic. Staff is starting their 2nd year together with one coach from last year going to be the middle school coach. Their hardwork and effort is starting to show results. Ellison and Cochran along with Heidel, Nelson and Poole are doing a great job. Coach Shoemaker has put together a good staff and they are all good solid coaches. Give these guys a little more time and they will be able to get the program headed in the right direction.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats next? How much work will the dogs do over the summer & who all will they scrimmage in the fall? Someone told me that there is a home jamboree & said we may be playing Stone Memorial in that game. I love the fact that we are scrimmaging all these larger schools, it can only make us better.

I checked on the Sequoyah thread & asked them how they did against Greenback & they apparently beat Greenback. If they can beat Greenback & we handled them we could be dominant in single A. I cant wait, after watching that scrimmage I must say I haven't been this pumped for Wartburg football since my playing days.

I'm not taking anything away from Wartburg's progress and hard work during the spring, but using the word "dominate" to describe them in Single A is pushing it. I'm hoping they do really well this year, but they have a long way to go before they can consider themselves a great team. Let them play a few real games before you go throwing around "dominate." /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm not taking anything away from Wartburg's progress and hard work during the spring, but using the word "dominate" to describe them in Single A is pushing it. I'm hoping they do really well this year, but they have a long way to go before they can consider themselves a great team. Let them play a few real games before you go throwing around "dominate." /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Rufus is Right!! Let's take the word dominant off the table right now. A team that has won one game in the last 4 years cannot jump up right away and become dominant. I support the Dawgs as much as anybody, but they still have to go to Oneida, Harriman, and have Midway, Rockwood and Oliver Springs at home. Beat those 5 and the word dominant might start creeping into the conversation. Until then, lets take it a week at a time and see how we do. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Whats next? How much work will the dogs do over the summer & who all will they scrimmage in the fall? Someone told me that there is a home jamboree & said we may be playing Stone Memorial in that game. I love the fact that we are scrimmaging all these larger schools, it can only make us better.

I checked on the Sequoyah thread & asked them how they did against Greenback & they apparently beat Greenback. If they can beat Greenback & we handled them we could be dominant in single A. I cant wait, after watching that scrimmage I must say I haven't been this pumped for Wartburg football since my playing days.

talked to coach satterfield at gb, seq scrimmage,said he was very dissapointed going to wartburg for a scrimmage against 15 players,said he rotated a quarterback every other play,played the young kids most of the scrimmage,said he wont scrimmage wartburg again.so dont get your hopes up yet and yes they beat gb 1-0,but it was a very intense scrimmage,they scored on a busted play on our defense.it will be hard to dominate anybody with 18 or 20 players during a long season.injuries will occur.but good luck.

talked to coach satterfield at gb, seq scrimmage,said he was very dissapointed going to wartburg for a scrimmage against 15 players,said he rotated a quarterback every other play,played the young kids most of the scrimmage,said he wont scrimmage wartburg again.so dont get your hopes up yet and yes they beat gb 1-0,but it was a very intense scrimmage,they scored on a busted play on our defense.it will be hard to dominate anybody with 18 or 20 players during a long season.injuries will occur.but good luck.

Well Kees,

What do you expect him to say. He did not alternate QB's every other play. Did alternate every other series I think. The tailback spot was held down by a couple of pretty good guys. They were not the young ones either. I figured that the Seq GB scrimmage would be a tough one. Much like ours. Coach Black came over and congradulated our guys and talked about how well they did. Now if he ( Coach Satterfield) doesn't want to come back, well that is on him. But don't discount what our kids have done and what they worked toward. There will be more than 18 or so as you say. Our baseball team was still playing in the substate and had 5 more not dressed due to injuries. And don't forget the 15 or so 8th graders that will be freshman next year. So while I agree with you about the expectations and all of that mess about edge, after all Coach Shoe said they were working on things and rotating backs too, don't let Coach Satterfield totally discount his time in Wartburg. He got good work as our guys did. It was a tough scrimmage. In the end, both teams found out alot about themselves.

I guess that is the Sequoyah coach you are referiing to. I was there, they did use 2 or 3 QBs but they rotated them on a series basis not every other play. Now as I was walking through the Sequoyah team on my way to my car one of their coaches was telling them that they need to learn how to be as physical as the team they just played is (Wartburg). Doesn't sound like a coach that didn't get enough action.

Judging by your screen name you are a jealous Greenback fan, since you talked to Coach Satterfield I can only assume that you are actually a GB coach. Thats a sad thing that a coach feels he needs to get on a message board & defend his team by downing another, perhaps we will see you guys in the play-offs. Envy is a bad thing.

I guess that is the Sequoyah coach you are referiing to. I was there, they did use 2 or 3 QBs but they rotated them on a series basis not every other play. Now as I was walking through the Sequoyah team on my way to my car one of their coaches was telling them that they need to learn how to be as physical as the team they just played is (Wartburg). Doesn't sound like a coach that didn't get enough action.

Judging by your screen name you are a jealous Greenback fan, since you talked to Coach Satterfield I can only assume that you are actually a GB coach. Thats a sad thing that a coach feels he needs to get on a message board & defend his team by downing another, perhaps we will see you guys in the play-offs. Envy is a bad thing.

come on a greenback fan being jealous of a wartburg football team,how many playoff wins have you all had?state championships?come on i just commented on what was said, i could care less about wartburg football or seq for that matter but coach satterfield is one of the best coaches to ever coach in east tenn,if he said he wasnt happy with the circumstances of the scrimmage i believe him.talk about the playoffs when you are worthy!!!!!!

Wartburg needs to at least get around 30 players to complete a full season.. Even playing with this new schedule playing with 15 players wont work. But the 15 that they have are battle proven and hard as steel. There is no excuse for a school with 400 kids to only have 15 kids playing football. I played for Wartburg from 2002 to 06 and we had around 45 to 60 kids every year. I think with this new schedule in a few years Wartburg will get back to where they were and maybe better. Coach shoe is not only a good coach he is also for the kids, he will do a good job in preparing kids for the future.

• 2 weeks later...