Hood signs with UT

As he was by the time he served. Like it or not that is what the courts decided.

Tremendous negativity? So Goodrich, Little, Haynesworth, Stallworth, and Henry haven't provided it? My God, how much more negativity can you get than what these players have provided? And that's nto even counting the crap that's gone on while the players were at UT under Fulmer. I hate telling people who my alma mater is sometimes in football conversations because of what all has happened.

The guy made a mistake. He's not saying he didn't. And he learned from it and changed. The girl has forgiven him. If anyone has "earned" a second chance, it's him and to date he's made the most of it.

Here an excellent article on Chris Low about it -

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4146057

I will go on record now as to say he will not pose a single problem at Tennessee. Best of luck Mr. Hood.

All the players that you named have screwed up after college. University of Tennessee can't be held accountable for what players do when they leave, but they can do something about letting people in. If you read in the article, Fulmer had already cut ties with him because of this. South Carolina wouldn't even consider him. Hopefully he will prove people wrong though and do well. I just hope this doesn't come back to haunt the University.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google or yahoo or whatever the name and do your own research.

Find the "appeal documents".

It made me SICK!!

And he should be glad it wasn't MY Daughter!!!!!!!!!!!

A human who would have been involved with such a "despicable act" should not have had the opportunity to have played high school football at such a prestigous high school or any high school for that matter.

Did I mention that he shouldn't have played High School Football? If he hadn't played, would he be recruited?

Something is wrong here?

After reading the "appeal documents" this kid should have not been playing High School football.

He should have been at "ONLY" til he was at least 18-19.

IMO; Tennessee made a big mistake.

There are too many kids across the state, the southeast, the country who have done it the right way.

I know some (maybe many ?) will disagree with me. But before you do.........do your research......and please let's don't discuss the details of the events.

All the players that you named have screwed up after college. University of Tennessee can't be held accountable for what players do when they leave, but they can do something about letting people in. If you read in the article, Fulmer had already cut ties with him because of this. South Carolina wouldn't even consider him. Hopefully he will prove people wrong though and do well. I just hope this doesn't come back to haunt the University.

I don't think UT has been worried to much about letting athletes in thru the years, especially the good ones.

How many remember when Bernard King played at UT. Seems like he was caught stealing TV's out of some dorm rooms. And King went on to become one of the best players in NBA history. Last I remember he was 5th all time in scoring. Tony Robinson had some drug problems as did Reggie Cobb just to name a few. And I'm sure that the majority of athletes that played for the Orange haven't been above board. Especially in today's times.

It made me SICK!!

A human who would have been involved with such a "despicable act" should not have had the opportunity to have played high school football at such a prestigous high school or any high school for that matter.

Did I mention that he shouldn't have played High School Football? If he hadn't played, would he be recruited?

Something is wrong here?

After reading the "appeal documents" this kid should have not been playing High School football.

There are too many kids across the state, the southeast, the country who have done it the right way.

I know some (maybe many ?) will disagree with me. But before you do.........do your research......and please let's don't discuss the details of the events.

Bump!!! He was not an innocent by-stander. He was a PARTICIPANT. His buddy is still in jail for the crimes they both committed. The young lady's life is ruined. He moves on about his merry way to UT, with Mr. Kiffins help, when six months earlier even a walk on was out of the question. What is wrong with this picture??? Tell me, how does a kid in state custody attend a private school? How does a kid live in an apartment by himself and not be in violation of TSSAA rules? The scholarship and the Mr. Football title belong elsewhere.

Let's face it, giving him a second chance is a good story, but the bottom line is that he's a good football prospect, it has nothing to do with giving him a second chance. If he wasn't a good player, I bet Lane Kiffin wouldn't even let him be a ball boy. He's no different from any of the other players named in this post.

Lane has already proved that, look at the scholarship offers he basically rescinded and some of the kids whom he's run off. What did they do? It's a little hard to swallow for some when you offer a convicted rapist and then tell one of the top quarterbacks in the country you don't fit into our system, it would be better if you went somewhere else Go figure.

Sometimes coaches look at a players size and automatically assume they will make a good football player. That of course, is part of the selection process. Only part of it though. How can a D-1 college offer a scholarship to an AVERAGE lineman/TE (only nine catches this season I believe) and justify encouraging other proven players to move on? Some of the best in the country I might add(without criminal records). Six months ago, word was, NOT EVEN A WALK ON. What changed? How was it that somehow this was overlooked or ignored these past four high school years? There's a lot to be said concerning a football players heart and character and standing in his community. None of which apparently concerned Kiffin in his "selection" process. And I might add, with UT's athletic directors approval, also.

It made me SICK!!

Something is wrong here?

Sure is was a terrible act. He seems to have his life turned around and going in the right direction. I'm glad Catholic took a chance on this kid and did'nt turn their back on him. There is no telling what direction he would have gone in if they had'nt accepted him. My hat off to the administration for not abandoning this kid when he needed it the most. Let's give the kid a second chance. We ALL deserve one. Remember, "may the one without sin cast the first stone."

Sometimes coaches look at a players size and automatically assume they will make a good football player. That of course, is part of the selection process. Only part of it though. How can a D-1 college offer a scholarship to an AVERAGE lineman/TE (only nine catches this season I believe) and justify encouraging other proven players to move on? Some of the best in the country I might add(without criminal records). Six months ago, word was, NOT EVEN A WALK ON. What changed? How was it that somehow this was overlooked or ignored these past four high school years? There's a lot to be said concerning a football players heart and character and standing in his community. None of which apparently concerned Kiffin in his "selection" process. And I might add, with UT's athletic directors approval, also.

A three year starter on a team that went 38-2. As you well know, Catholic rarely throws the ball so receiving statistics are pretty misleading. He's pretty well noted in your area for one catch that sent your team home and us on the way to a state title. The mistake or facts weren't overlooked they were CAREFULLY evaluated before he was accepted into Catholic. What we like to look at is the fact that since he has been there he has earned a 3.8 GPA has excellent test scores and has been a model citizen. He will be the first to admit he made a huge mistake and has done everything within his power to rectify that mistake. When he had 25-30 big time D-1 offers, some coaches that may be slightly smarter than you seemed to see alot of potential. It's easy for you to get on here and trash the kid without knowing him hiding behind a screen name. I've known him since before he stepped foot on the football field at Catholic and think very highly of him. He allowed himself to be put into a stupid situation and is trying to overcome a huge mistake he made as a 13 year old kid. Kiffen and Hamilton spent literally 5 months interviewing teachers, coaches, administrators, judges etc before making this snap judgement. The victim has forgiven him and written a letter on his behalf.

what would be good enough for you?

A three year starter on a team that went 38-2. As you well know, Catholic rarely throws the ball so receiving statistics are pretty misleading. He's pretty well noted in your area for one catch that sent your team home and us on the way to a state title. The mistake or facts weren't overlooked they were CAREFULLY evaluated before he was accepted into Catholic. What we like to look at is the fact that since he has been there he has earned a 3.8 GPA has excellent test scores and has been a model citizen. He will be the first to admit he made a huge mistake and has done everything within his power to rectify that mistake. When he had 25-30 big time D-1 offers, some coaches that may be slightly smarter than you seemed to see alot of potential. It's easy for you to get on here and trash the kid without knowing him hiding behind a screen name. I've known him since before he stepped foot on the football field at Catholic and think very highly of him. He allowed himself to be put into a stupid situation and is trying to overcome a huge mistake he made as a 13 year old kid. Kiffen and Hamilton spent literally 5 months interviewing teachers, coaches, administrators, judges etc before making this snap judgement. The victim has forgiven him and written a letter on his behalf.

what would be good enough for you?

"The mistake or facts weren't overlooked they were CAREFULLY evaluated before he was accepted into Catholic"

This happened when he was 13, how old was he when he came to your school?

Hood has got to be the most mentally tough kid in the US right now. I agree with both parties in some ways, he did a very bad thing. But he admits to what he did and is very sorry for it(seems that way at least). But this kid made A's and B's all 3 years at catholic, and hasn't gotten in trouble since the "thing" a few years back. IMO UT just picked up a great player with a rough past...BIG DEAL!!! Didn't Noel Devine have like 3 kids or something? I wish only the best for this young man and I hope he and the rest of the amazing class of 09 help UT back to another championship!!