Hood signs with UT

Daniel is a great young man, and I am confident that he will be a superb witness to the whollistic education Knoxville Catholic touts. I know he will be a great representative of KC and UT in the future.

With regard to our "5 D-1 players," that may have been an overstatement. However, in recent weeks DB Nick Branum has signed with Alabama (yes, the Alabama), RB Jordan Howanitz has signed with the University of Indainapolis (not D-1, but still a fine opportunity to play at the next level), RB Zach Vann has committed to Maryville College (also not D-1, but still impressive for someone who didn't play more than 1 quarter this season) and P Evan Sanders has chosen to to accept a preferred walk-on position for Coach Lane Kiffin at UT. In addition, LB Luke Smith has committed to academic powerhouse University of Chicago. There may be a few more commitments for KC still in the making...

Congratulations to all these fine young men. Good luck and keep making us proud! Go Irish!

I don't see where Branum has signed with Alabama. Can you provide a link to this new information. Congratulations to this kid if this is indeed true.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see where Branum has signed with Alabama. Can you provide a link to this new information. Congratulations to this kid if this is indeed true.

I'm extremely proud of Nick and what he has accomplished, however, he is going to have to work twice as hard as everyone on that field everyday because of the preferred walk-on. You can do anything you want Nick always keep that head up buddy.

Don't know anything about what happened to this kid years ago. Sounds like he is trying to turn his life around though. Everyone deserves a second chance. I just wanted to wish him the best on getting a chance to play at the next level. Hood has the tools to become a good player for the VOLS and the PROS.

Good post RC. D.Hood has shown that he has changed,and deserves a second chance.Look at pro football.There are players and explayers involved in murders,drug dealing,dog fighting,and stomping on peoples head.How many chances did pac-man get.What happened to hood was in middle school.Some people just hate to see others do good.I say good choice Kiffin D.Hood will make East Tenn. proud.Believe it. Go Vols.

I'm very confused on this one.

I really believe he has changed and deserves a chance as long as he keeps towing the line. I hope Lane Kiffin by clearing house this summer knows what he is doing and is a good judge of character. I was always uncomfitable with the law Fulmer laid down in the latter years and it showed on the field of play as discipline went down the toilet and so did our record. But UT football has looked the other way on many occasions and trust has wained. So I have given up on getting a recruit at all costs. I do like UT considering local talent and Daniel is talented.

But the more I read about the incident the worse it seems. If I had a daughter I just don't know if I could forgive him over it. Duct tape on seventy percent of the body thats not normal. Thirteen years old is not to young for accountabilty especially in this act. I am very torn as more information has become public.

But.............. we are suppose to forgive so I think he could use this chance to help others. I hope he truely has repented and uses his talents to further his future in his education and life pursuits. Because we are all God's children I can't cast the first stone.

Good luck Daniel

You are entitled to your opinion. I've known Daniel for 3 years and he's a good kid. He will do well at UT.

I think people are overlooking this situation because he is a standout football player. At the age of 13, you should be held accountiable for a crime like this. This will bring tremendous negativity toward the University of Tennessee. Watch and see.

I think people are overlooking this situation because he is a standout football player. At the age of 13, you should be held accountiable for a crime like this. This will bring tremendous negativity toward the University of Tennessee. Watch and see.

As he was by the time he served. Like it or not that is what the courts decided.

Tremendous negativity? So Goodrich, Little, Haynesworth, Stallworth, and Henry haven't provided it? My God, how much more negativity can you get than what these players have provided? And that's nto even counting the crap that's gone on while the players were at UT under Fulmer. I hate telling people who my alma mater is sometimes in football conversations because of what all has happened.

The guy made a mistake. He's not saying he didn't. And he learned from it and changed. The girl has forgiven him. If anyone has "earned" a second chance, it's him and to date he's made the most of it.

Here an excellent article on Chris Low about it -

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4146057

I will go on record now as to say he will not pose a single problem at Tennessee. Best of luck Mr. Hood.

I wish him the best at UT. After taking part in a crime that forever changed the life of a young girl I guess you might as well hope that he has learned his lesson and does well in life. For the girl, I hope she has healed as much as possible, sad situation for her to be in....does she jump for joy for her cousin?

Seems about normal though, he gets the oppurtunity to turn his life around after he ruined her life. Say what you want, our system doesn't function correctly. He got the oppurtunity to change his life for the better and she didn't get that chance since he took part of her life from her. I guess UT doesn't give scholarships to victims.

Nuff said. Done with this one.

I wish him the best at UT. After taking part in a crime that forever changed the life of a young girl I guess you might as well hope that he has learned his lesson and does well in life. For the girl, I hope she has healed as much as possible, sad situation for her to be in....does she jump for joy for her cousin?

Seems about normal though, he gets the oppurtunity to turn his life around after he ruined her life. Say what you want, our system doesn't function correctly. He got the oppurtunity to change his life for the better and she didn't get that chance since he took part of her life from her. I guess UT doesn't give scholarships to victims.

Nuff said. Done with this one.

That would definitely be the honorable thing to do. Why doesn't he get the financial aid package that normal kids do and UT give her the scholarship? I think everyone deserves a second chance, but UT already has a bad rep with Kiffin, why not let someone else give him the chance?

The young lady involved is the real hero here..She is the example of being Christ-like as she has forgiven. God bless her!

I wish this young man the best. Hope he has changed his life. It appears so to this point, but only time will tell. I agree about second chances. I am thankful the Lord gives us second chances, and third and fourth etc., etc.

Although I don't agree with what he did when he was 13, I think that if his cousin was able to forgive him for the heinous thing that was done, then what gives us the right to judge him for it? I have no ties to the story or Catholic but from the sounds of it, he has really turned his life around and learned from his past mistakes. I'm reminded of a story in the Bible, (not to sure on where it's at) but where some towns people bring a woman accused of adultery to Jesus seeking punishment and Jesus replies "may the one without sin cast the first stone." The moral of the story is, unless you are perfect in life and have no sin, then you have no right to judge someone for their mistakes no matter how bad they may be. I wish Hood the best of luck in his future, in football and in life. Hopefully he won't be a statistic and he will stay on the right path from here on out.