college football on friday night.

tellicobearfan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by tellicobearfan:

I hate it. I boycott espn on friday.

Last year, when this thing first came up, I said it was a bad idea. Evidently so did sports writers, college and high school coaches, and football fans across the country. ESPN backed down for a few weeks and now they are back doing it anyway. Friday nights in the FALL have always been about High School football! In a time when everything seems to be all about money (i.e. DI college players taking money to play, baseball strike threats, etc), I hate to see high school athletics encroached upon by ESPN and more college football.

I have read posts on a North Carolina website (NCpreps.com)that some high school football coaches have banned East Carolina University from their campuses because ECU will play a game on a Friday night this season. This was off a website so I do not know if this is just random talk or the truth. I understand the coaches are upset, but could this action possibly hurt the chances of an individual student/athlete who could play at the next level? What do you coaches/players/parents out there think?

Posted by Sequatchie:

I think its only the small-mid major confrences that are playing I think the SEC & some of the larger confrences said they would not play on Friday!

For now, they have said that. Like I have said a million times, in a few years, expect the SEC and other big conferences to cave in to the dollars and there will be marquee matchups on Friday night. The game is controlled by the almight dollar. But I don't care if the Vols and Gators played on Friday night....I am not watching college football until Saturday.

Posted by TankTalk:
Posted by Sequatchie:

I think its only the small-mid major confrences that are playing I think the SEC & some of the larger confrences said they would not play on Friday!

For now, they have said that. Like I have said a million times, in a few years, expect the SEC and other big conferences to cave in to the dollars and there will be marquee matchups on Friday night. The game is controlled by the almight dollar. But I don't care if the Vols and Gators played on Friday night....I am not watching college football until Saturday.

I guess, as big a h.s. fan as I am, it would depend a lot on the matchup. I wouldn't miss Kingston/Rockwood or Kingston/Harriman for UT/Rutgers, but I'd probably miss Kingston/Gibbs for UT/Florida. I just don't see where there would be that much money to be made on Friday night. Maybe ESPN should show more X-games, Chess, Spelling Bees, Roller Derby, Rasslin', or other pseudo-sports.

:(

Guest caligula

This is stupid. Why on Friday, how r they gonna watch kids play. On tape???????????? I don't think the fans will have to try hard to boycott. If you love football you will be at your local highschool.

Parkview vs. Brookwood (GA #6)? FoxSportsNet broadcasts best HS from S. CA. If you have dish, Ch. 33 in Atlanta has Parkview (National #2 in some polls(32-game-streak, 2-time GA Champ) at 7:30pm, Fri. PS--Both Jenks,OK (worst whiners) and Procto'view are both goin' down. Northworst Air currently has $362rt to Honolulu from ATL. Sunburn in Aloha Stadium priceless! Go Spartans--take care of business versus Archbishop Mitty and the "Devil-in-a-Football-Uniform," St. Francis...Then, waste St. Louis Hi. just like the previous 127. ;)

[Edited by 64TNChamp on 9-12-02 11:37A]

I dont understand why football coaches get mad...Look at the other sports like basketball...It has been going head to head with collages for a long time....I think that if the coaches make the quality of play good enough,people will go to the high school games..If not,they will lose fans as people stay home and watch ESPN...JMHO...

[Edited by coachk98 on 9-12-02 11:58A]

[Edited by coachk98 on 9-12-02 11:59A]

College Football needs to stick to saturdays. Pro Football needs to stick to Sundays and Monday night football.

Friday Nights belong to High School kids.

I love College Football. I am a huge UT fan.

I love High School football the best. Heck! 2 weeks ago I drove to Portland to watch Portland play White House. I drove over 400 miles that day to watch that game. Me and the insider left at 2:30 that thursday evening and didn't get home till 12 hours later.

I also plan on going to North Greene on Oct 31st to watch Cosby and North Greene play unless something comes up.I still have a 2nd cousin on the Cosby team.

As much as I love UT football, I will miss a UT football game to watch Maryville play. Last December 1st I was in Murfreesboro watching Maryville win their 6th state title.UT was playing Florida for the SEC east title that day.Me and all my brothers were there that day.We are all Maryville graduates and former Rebels. In 1996 I missed the UT vs Ole Miss game to watch the Maryville freshmen take on Oak Ridge. Of course my nephew was the freshmen quarterback.

In 96 Maryville didn't make the playoffs so i watched other teams play. Sevier County vs Oak Ridge in round 1, Laverne vs Halls in round 2,Anderson County vs Cleveland in round 3. I got sick and missed the Halls vs Anderson County semifinal game that year. I was planning on going to that one. In 99 after Maryville lost to Central I watched Portland play at Seymour.