TSSAA selects Cookeville!

Sequatchie

Tech's field is the same turfgrass field as MTSU's....lots of rubber pellets in the shoes afterward.

He is correct, I asked a Tech player today and he said the field was changed last year to the new turf.

Locker Rooms wont be a concern, you have The Hoop, The Rec, and even Memorial Gym. Techs campus can be walked across in 5 minutes, so having to dress somewhere else wont be an issue. All they need to do is have all teams get dressed in a remote location, then walk over to stadiums locker room, and it can be used before and halftime of games. After the game they can take the party to Memorial Gym. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did teams do before they decided on a central location? Nothing. They were happy to play in a state championship game no matter where it was. I would imagine it would be the same again. My team (Millington) has not played for a state championship but that has not stopped me or a number of my friends from coming up for the last 10 years or so to watch football.

The amount of money they get for the rights to TV must be quite a bit because it has seemed like everyone stays home to watch it. If they want to increase the attendance in the stadium, take the games off tv.

The one thing I do not like is trying to play 8 games in 3 days. Play the games on two weekends. 1 game Friday night and 3 on Saturday. It would give people who want to come in a chance to see the games.

As a high school football fan, I will plan on being in Cookeville whether my team is there or not. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

That's my thinking...a big HS Stadium would give it a packed play-off atmosphere. As small as Tech's Stadium is , it's still too big. Expand the visitors bleachers at Riverdale or one of the Murfreesboro Schools. The West Tennessee teams are gonna pitch a biatch. Cookeville is no where near the center of the state. It had to be about the money.

While the HS fields in M'boro could hold most of the fans for each game, none of them could handle that many games without ruining them and NONE of the schools have enough parking for the fans.

Right now I 'think' only one private has an artificial turf field that could host that many games in two days.

Guest iamoz

It's interesting to go back and compare numbers from the last time the championships moved...

January 16, 2000

Football Site Change Could Add Revenue

BYLINE: STEPHEN HARGIS, Chattanooga Times Free Press

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. C11

LENGTH: 706 words

The TSSAA's Board of Control decided the possible rewards far outweighed the risks and voted unanimously Thursday to move the state football championships from Nashville to Murfreesboro.

Beginning this December, the state championship games will be played at Middle Tennessee State University's 31,000-seat stadium -- at least for three years, with an option for another two years.

The Nashville Area Junior Chamber of Commerce has a 50-year tradition with the Clinic Bowl, with the last 17 at Vanderbilt's Dudley Field for all the title games.

The NAJCC will retain the use of the name Clinic Bowl for other events that benefit Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Services. The new name for the two-day event, which crowns state champions in seven classifications, will be the TSSAA State Football Championships.

"The proposal by MTSU offers more risk, but also more opportunity for gain," TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter said Friday. "To at least break even, we'll need a two-day draw of at least 20,000, which we've surpassed since we split into the five-team classification system in 1993."

Last year, the Nashville Area Junior Chamber put up a $62,000 guarantee, which was split among the 14 schools participating in the state title games. The new contract has no guarantee, but the TSSAA gets all the revenue after expenses, which are capped at $50,000.

Butch Spyridon, executive vice president of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau, was quoted in a Nashville Tennessean story as saying that Nashville would feel an economic loss of about $500,000 annually from the move.

TSSAA board member Mickey Dunn cited MTSU's refurbished stadium and surrounding facilities, as well as the opportunity for increased revenue, as key issues. It had been speculated that Vanderbilt was worried about having seven games played in two days on its natural grass surface, but Carter said that had nothing to do with the change.

Murfreesboro also is host for the state volleyball and boys' and girls' state basketball tournaments.

I don't really see what the big deal with hotel rooms is. If they have enough hotel rooms to handle TTU graduations then they will have plenty of rooms for the championships. I think Murfreesboro kinda got complacent over the years and relied on the fact that they are the geographic center of the state. I hope my team makes it to Cookeville this year, but I might go anyway since it is so much easier to get to.

I have relatives in Cookeville and have stayed their on business trips. There is limited hotels compared to Murfreesboro and the only thing to do at night is to go to Walmart,

That;s not a joke it's a fact. Heck they go to Walmart after the Prom. LOL

At least Murfreesboro has Nashville down the road and a real Malls.

I think you had more folks coming out to the games who just wanted to see good football when it use to be in Nashville area.

I have relatives in Cookeville and have stayed their on business trips. There is limited hotels compared to Murfreesboro and the only thing to do at night is to go to Walmart,

That;s not a joke it's a fact. Heck they go to Walmart after the Prom. LOL

At least Murfreesboro has Nashville down the road and a real Malls.

I think you had more folks coming out to the games who just wanted to see good football when it use to be in Nashville area.

Please everyone ignore this ignorant post from Rigger101. There are plenty of hotels, there are plenty of restaurants that will cater for all ages. Plenty of night spots. I have the opportunity to stay in cookeville 2 nights every year for the Tech football alumni golf tournament. There is no shortage of entertainment or good food. Try Mama Rosas Italian eatery (turn at Kmart and go north, it will be on the right), 2 or 3 places to socialize into the night in downtown. Try Craw Daddies (good seafood and plenty of beer choices).

Most of all, go with an open mind and ask the locals you come across. Great people in cookeville who love football.

• 2 weeks later...

Please everyone ignore this ignorant post from Rigger101. There are plenty of hotels, there are plenty of restaurants that will cater for all ages. Plenty of night spots. I have the opportunity to stay in cookeville 2 nights every year for the Tech football alumni golf tournament. There is no shortage of entertainment or good food. Try Mama Rosas Italian eatery (turn at Kmart and go north, it will be on the right), 2 or 3 places to socialize into the night in downtown. Try Craw Daddies (good seafood and plenty of beer choices).

Most of all, go with an open mind and ask the locals you come across. Great people in cookeville who love football.

No just the ignorant facts. I was there on the 4th with 4 Cookeville grads. It/s Wally World or a few bars. They agreed with me. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

How about that great mall! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Cookeville Stats:

Tourist attractions: Department of Leisure Services (Museums; 144 South Lowe Avenue) (1), Cookeville Depot Museum (116 West Broad Street) (2), Initials Interiors Inc (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 610 Design Drive) (3), Dial-A-Story (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 50 East Broad Street) (4), Fun Tunnel (Amusement & Theme Parks; 400 Dubois Road) (5), Carefree Tours (Tours & Charters; 4340 Pippin Road) (6). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map

Hotels: Executive Inn (897 South Jefferson Avenue) (1), Country Inn-Suites-Cookeville (1131 South Jefferson Avenue) (2), Econo Lodge Cookeville (1100 South Jefferson Avenue) (3), Days Inn Cookeville (1296 South Walnut Avenue) (4), Best Western Thunderbird Motel (900 South Jefferson Avenue) (5), Baymont Inn Cookeville (1151 South Jefferson Avenue) (6), Comfort Suites Cookeville (1035 Interstate Drive) (7), Comfort Inn & Suites (1045 Interstate Drive) (8), Eastwood Inn (1646 East Spring Street) (9). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map

Murfreesboro Stats:

Notable locations in Murfreesboro: Stones River Country Club (A), Murfreesboro Country Club (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />, Military Park Brannons Redoubt ©, Rutherford County Agricultural Center (D), Beasley Hall (E), Boutwell Dramatic Arts Building (F), Murfreesboro City Hall (G), Murfreesboro Public Library (H), Oaklands Mansion (I), Alumni Memorial Gym (J), Murphy Athletic Center (K), Woodmore Cafeteria (L), Gore Hall (M), Kirksey Old Main (N), Rutledge Hall (O), Alumni Gym Pool (P), Clement Hall (Q), Alumni Center ®, Jones Hall (S), Wood Hall (T). Display/hide their locations on the map

Shopping Centers: Northside Plaza Shopping Center (1), Northfield Crossing Shopping Center (2), Northfield Court Shopping Center (3), Stones River Mall Shopping Center (4), Stones River Plaza Shopping Center (5), Clarks Shopping Center (6), Jackson Heights Shopping Center (7), Geogetown Square Shopping Center (8), Coronado Square Shopping Center (9). Display/hide their locations on the map

Tourist attractions: Discovery Center at Murfree Spring (Museums; 502 Southeast Broad Street) (1), Oaklands Historic Site (Museums; 900 North Maney Avenue) (2), Lakeland Marine CO (Amusement & Theme Parks; 1945 Northwest Broad Street) (3), Haynes Amusement CO (Amusement & Theme Parks; New Nashville Highway) (4), Batter Up (Amusement & Theme Parks; 2992 South Church Street) (5), Sharp Kevin Enterprise Inc (1522 Sarah Court) (6). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map

Hotels: Doubletree Hotel Murfeesboro (1850 Old Fort Parkway) (1), Best Western Chaffin Inn (168 Chaffin Place) (2), Hampton Inn Motel Fax Line (2230 Armory Drive) (3), Imperial Inn (610 Northwest Broad Street) (4), Best Value Inn & Suites (1954 South Church Street) (5), Hampton Inn Murfreesboro (2230 Armory Drive) (6), Doubletree Murfreesboro (1850 Old Fort Parkway) (7), Fairfield Inn & Suites (175 Chaffin Place) (8), Chrisman Motel (5630 Northwest Broad Street) (9).