Does Impact control Williamson County Volleyball

pagefan

I don't mean to be vague or critical. I don't blame the club coaches or the facilities at all, because they are for profit enities. I am concerned about the school system, and the school officials.

There needs to be a distict separation from the high school athletic experience, and participation in club. The State of Tennessee, and Williamson County, provide each child with a free and appropriate education with our sales and property tax dollars. That allows our children to go to a public school, and take benefit from participating in extracurricular activities like band; sports; clubs etc.

The TSSAA is to regulate athletic participation and try and keep a level playing field for all. They does this by classifications; the setting of districts and the formulating of rules.

Williamson County is the wealthiest county in the state, by far. We have 7 great high schools.

Several years ago Brentwood volleyball saw the success being had by the "private" schools in Louisville, and changed the way that volleyball operated.

1)They started plaing in an out-of-state tournament every weekend

2)They played over 70 plus matches a year

3)They helped form a volleyball club that allowed the athlete to play year round

4)They brought in experienced coaches to run the club and then used them as "unofficial" coaches of the team

5)They had the club provide extra training and lessons

6)They took advantage of the open transfer rule and identified talented players in middle school, hooked them up with the club, and had them transfer.

This is not healthy for the athlete, and the TSSAA stepped in and added some rules that help, but different problems arise.

Now we have new problems, because the money has gotten so big.

Clubs invested in building gyms, and paying high salaries to coaches. The only way to pay these is to "strongly suggest" ie "require" participation in order to play on the school team.

Booster clubs now pay high school coaches and asst extra money. The schools looked the other way as the clubs and parents put in club coaches in every school. Now the coach requires the student to play club and pay for extra lessons at these facilities. They use the open transfer rule to build teams, and no one says anything.

I don't think the rules require any sponser from the schools. Thus no one is atching the money. I don't think the rules allow booster clubs to pay extra coach supplements or for lessons.

There are students who do not participate on their high school team because they don't play club. Now that these gyms are buiilt, the clubs have to fill them, and this is how.

I would suggest that the school administration or the TSSAA look at what is happening.

These are 14 and 15 year old kids being asked to work harder than most college kids.

This is wrong.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to be vague or critical. I don't blame the club coaches or the facilities at all, because they are for profit enities. I am concerned about the school system, and the school officials.

There needs to be a distict separation from the high school athletic experience, and participation in club. The State of Tennessee, and Williamson County, provide each child with a free and appropriate education with our sales and property tax dollars. That allows our children to go to a public school, and take benefit from participating in extracurricular activities like band; sports; clubs etc.

The TSSAA is to regulate athletic participation and try and keep a level playing field for all. They does this by classifications; the setting of districts and the formulating of rules.

Williamson County is the wealthiest county in the state, by far. We have 7 great high schools.

Several years ago Brentwood volleyball saw the success being had by the "private" schools in Louisville, and changed the way that volleyball operated.

3)They helped form a volleyball club that allowed the athlete to play year round

4)They brought in experienced coaches to run the club and then used them as "unofficial" coaches of the team

6)They took advantage of the open transfer rule and identified talented players in middle school, hooked them up with the club, and had them transfer.

This is not healthy for the athlete, and the TSSAA stepped in and added some rules that help, but different problems arise.

Clubs invested in building gyms, and paying high salaries to coaches. The only way to pay these is to "strongly suggest" ie "require" participation in order to play on the school team.

Booster clubs now pay high school coaches and asst extra money. The schools looked the other way as the clubs and parents put in club coaches in every school. Now the coach requires the student to play club and pay for extra lessons at these facilities. They use the open transfer rule to build teams, and no one says anything.

I don't think the rules require any sponser from the schools. Thus no one is atching the money. I don't think the rules allow booster clubs to pay extra coach supplements or for lessons.

There are students who do not participate on their high school team because they don't play club. Now that these gyms are buiilt, the clubs have to fill them, and this is how.

I would suggest that the school administration or the TSSAA look at what is happening.

These are 14 and 15 year old kids being asked to work harder than most college kids.

This is wrong.

So you basically want the TSSAA to interfere with the evolution of Sport?

We are not talking about a Rec league here. We are talking about competitive High School sports.

You want to know why the kids that don't play club do not make the team? Its because the other kids are practicing more! If there is a kid who is good enough to beat out the other kids without playing club, then I highly doubt the coach will keep them off the team for a lesser player on the basis of not playing club.

You also have this Club Volleyball going on when other high school sports are being played...so the athlete is caught in the middle...do I play the high school sport or play the club volleyball because I'm told to or I won't make the volleyball team next year. Not good for the high school or the high school athlete.

Club volleyball, Travel soccer and AAU basketball...you can put them all in the same selfish shrimp boat. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

u

This is wrong.

Now I see where you are coming from and again your perception is accurate to a degree. Brentwood high school is a member of the TSSAA and goes by the rules in the handbook in every sport. TSSAA allows schools to play out of state but realizing their schedule in Volleyball, they don't play out of state every weekend. They do try to find the best competition , it seems, as do some of the other schools which go out of state but they play a top schedule in state. Seventy (70) matches is against the TSSAA rules and is not allowed. Their interest in VB at the school may have perked interest in ClubVB at one time but it was best for a lot of schools in the midstate but for a lot of schools it was not for the best. It has improved the total overall level. You may be correct but my perception was Jay Goldstynes entry with club was strictly a private venture and while he connected with Brentwood, so did a lot of players at a lot of different schools. One shoe doesn't fit all feet and now there are about 7 clubs in nashville and I would not doubt 40 in the State. Item's 4 and 5 is likely true but Impact was a business and did not just cater to Brentwood or why would his business have been in Lavergne. There was not enough players at the time to pay for his time ust at one school. But did he associate himself with very good people and did he give lessons, yes and he is good, extremely good at those things. He evidently started the Club scene but as has happened, VBClub is now a lot of people. It is the head coach at Lipscomb, Belmont, TSU and MTSU. It's high school coaches at numerous High Schools in Middle Tennessee. Numerous coaches are not in the club scene in Middle Tennessee and some have State Championships and are great coaches. Its High School Coaches in and around Knoxville, Johnson City, Chattanooga, Memphis, Jackson, Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Oakridge, Anderson County, Morristown and just about every College/University except Vanderbilt in Tennessee. Whether he had the clout, and others posting on this site do know, to effect school policies who knows. Open transfer is NOT just a Williamson County thing. However, Club is more of a money thing for students in volleyball than AAU is for Basketball, its counterpart in Football, maybe or maybe not Soccer and there is cheerleading and just about anything that kids want to do to excel. Lately Impact has had some good players go thru its club. Others will catch up.

Now if all of this has to do, in a backward way, of promoting what impact has done and jay, give him and his Club and his direction credit. For a while he was the only one in nashville and bet he felt the pressure. If Impact is the reason Williamson excels, its no different than Metro in Memphis, Dig to Win in Chattanooga, and numerous clubs thruout the state and the individuals who lead those organizations.

Pagefan, to me its good to have club but like anything else to have only one may not be good. It is mostly a for profit business by talented dedicated people who provides services to whoever wants to pay the price. There are numerous prices and great personalities. You know that but this has become a thread that is giving credit to someone who deserves some credit but was fairly paid to do what he did and thats a fair statement. Now like every thing, competition is involved and everybody is going to have to present their best product and this sport is not a one shoe fits all and thats why now there are about 7. Does everyone have to be in Club? No and if a high school or Middle School is staffed properly with some coaching experience, teaching can go a long way. What is unfortunate is there is no summer rec leagues like Jr. Pro girls basketball that kids can play but even that leads to AAU and more and more. What is also unfortunate is if this game is that popular, and it is, why are not Middle school parents and even late elementary school parents volunteering to coach teams for 5th and 6th graders in school.that would help just to see fi interest is there.and whether to proceed. Thats in school. Middle Schools play few matches but Middle school JV's really play few and 6th graders and 5th graders, the age one can tell, really don't have any exposure unless by an older sibling. So many kids in Club are getting exposed early and kids not playing that age they are behind at school when tryouts start unless they exhibit some athletic ability. Someone else is going to have to come up with that answer because you are right, its a vicious circle and choices at that age that parents are having to make. So you would know, its happening in every sport. Likely Volleyball is now getting some of the athletes. There are answers without sending 5th and 6th graders to the two facilities you mentioned. An email will get you some suggestions in Williamson.

This is wrong.

Ok my last comments on this.

I'm sorry but you're not being vague or critical, you are whining!

The TSSAA only attempts to level the playing field for schools not for players.

The best get to play: period!

Brentwood HS had nothing to do with any club being formed; in fact I think only one player from Brentwood played for Impact in 2009 club season. (and I most assuredly have no dog in this fight)

As to the "high salaries" for club coaches, sorry, they get paid but it's not enough to live on; all do it for the love of the game and most for the young ladies they coach.

If this is about your daughter making the Page high school team, I would tell you the same thing that the dance team or the band or the cheerleaders or the football coaches tell those students... GET BETTER, no matter what it takes!!!

Last but certainly not least, the high school or club season in Middle Tennessee in no way comes close to the work required by college athletes... not even close.

Please get the facts straight. There are plenty of posters with the knowledge and credibility to help you on this... good luck to your daughter. Peace

You also have this Club Volleyball going on when other high school sports are being played...so the athlete is caught in the middle...do I play the high school sport or play the club volleyball because I'm told to or I won't make the volleyball team next year. Not good for the high school or the high school athlete.

Club volleyball, Travel soccer and AAU basketball...you can put them all in the same selfish shrimp boat. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Hogan, Is that true. Lets see, Club or Softball or club or summer soccer.Maybe even Club or summer basketball camps. Coaches should work with players on scheduling. With that schedule she plays year round? Playing year round carries with it a lot of wear and tear on the body and the mind. Burn out. An Athlete like that will have no trouble making the team. She just wants to start. No answer to that. The high school athlete needs some respect and will help the school as much as she can but needs scheduling help and the coaches just don't want to lose her. good Luck.

Williamson County is the wealthiest county in the state of Tennessee. It has 7 high schools including Brentwood; Centennial; Fairview; Franklin; Independence; Page and Ravenwood.

It also has a unique local rule that allows for Open Enrollement based on athletics. What that means is that it does not matter where you live, you can attend and play sports for any of the schools. It is the only county in the state that allows for this to occur.

Brentwood and Page were the first 2 schools to figure out how this could help their volleyball programs. But now all of the schools have learned how to best use the system.

Impact is the state's biggest volleyball club, which generates hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.

Impact works with the high schools, and essentially runs the top programs. Impact places its coaches in the high schools, who then "coach" the teams. This gives these programs a HUGE advantage over other schools.

Impact reaps a HUGE financial advantage.

What this means is that the high school team essentially gets year round play.

I would offer that this is not healthy for the high school sport, or for volleyball in general. This topic is never allowed to be discussed but look at where the Impact coaches, and the people that make the most money, go. Brentwood; Page, Ravenwood and Franklin.

As a parent, there is a tremendous amount of pressure to play for club, or go "off the island" as it relates to playing for you high school.

It upsets me that this "suggestion" gets slammed as sour grapes whenever it is raised. Everyone can't afford to play club.

I loved my daughters time at Page, and most of the parents, but the pressure is there. As we get ready to do it again I think it needs to be more out in the open.

Has anyone ever looked into the Impact situation, and how the rules allow for such close interaction?

I just want to clarity one thing on the Open Enrollment issue. Go to www.wcs.edu, because the only two high schools that have Open Enrollment for this school year are Page and Centennial, and the priority is given to Independence and Ravenwood for both schools. Based on what it says on the website, there are certain stipulations for what grades can transfer in. Now in order to transfer out of zone to either of these schools, students still have to sit out a year of athletics unless they actually move into that school zone. The deadline to apply for the transfers was May 15th, so any other transfers for any of the other schools was after that date but there is no guarantee they can transer in. No other high schools are allowed to accept out of zone transfers. Only students that transfer into that school zone are allowed. Someone correct me if that has changed within the last week, but that is what I have understood it to be.

I just want to clarity one thing on the Open Enrollment issue. Go to www.wcs.edu, because the only two high schools that have Open Enrollment for this school year are Page and Centennial, and the priority is given to Independence and Ravenwood for both schools. Based on what it says on the website, there are certain stipulations for what grades can transfer in. Now in order to transfer out of zone to either of these schools, students still have to sit out a year of athletics unless they actually move into that school zone. The deadline to apply for the transfers was May 15th, so any other transfers for any of the other schools was after that date but there is no guarantee they can transer in. No other high schools are allowed to accept out of zone transfers. Only students that transfer into that school zone are allowed. Someone correct me if that has changed within the last week, but that is what I have understood it to be.

1220, I appreciate your post. iI have no knowledge that it has changed but call the Office of a school and they will tell you. This again muddles up the post of pagefan and is again another disscrepancy as to the truth of the posts. We have now gone full circle and I am now wondering who I may be posting with. Pagefan, are you a student at Page High School and trying to transfer? Just about everything you have posted from the beginning has had something wrong with it and now that includes the assumption that Williamson county totally open zoned. I think you are a student or someone who has just graduated and are trying to find out something for someone else. 1210 has much of the zoning correct. No, it doesn't mean that anyone was involved with Brentwood high School unless zoning rules have changed over the years. For those who want to know, go to www.wcs.edu. Look it up. Remember there is zoning for bussing, limited Transfers to Centenial from Indy and Ravenwood before may 15th the previous year and limited transfers from Indy and Ravenwood to Page by may 15th the previous year. This is just to transfer. It has nothing to do with being eligible toplay which depends if one has moved to the zone or not and thats another issue. Brentwood is not involved with any of these and would require moving to their bussing zone to attend . i would suggest you talk to your principal. Brentwood you are not transferring players in from other schools and am sorry for the confusion.

I'm really not sure what all of this is about but most of the facts have been wrong. Where pagefan is getting the information is mostly wrong. I am backing out of this posting marathon and find the only problem is someone not playing in club and maybe told her skills are not good enough unless she has some club background. the last part of my last post applies and good luck.

Ok my last comments on this.

I'm sorry but you're not being vague or critical, you are whining!

The TSSAA only attempts to level the playing field for schools not for players.

The best get to play: period!

Brentwood HS had nothing to do with any club being formed; in fact I think only one player from Brentwood played for Impact in 2009 club season. (and I most assuredly have no dog in this fight)

As to the "high salaries" for club coaches, sorry, they get paid but it's not enough to live on; all do it for the love of the game and most for the young ladies they coach.

If this is about your daughter making the Page high school team, I would tell you the same thing that the dance team or the band or the cheerleaders or the football coaches tell those students... GET BETTER, no matter what it takes!!!

Last but certainly not least, the high school or club season in Middle Tennessee in no way comes close to the work required by college athletes... not even close.

Please get the facts straight. There are plenty of posters with the knowledge and credibility to help you on this... good luck to your daughter. Peace

Please do not say club coaches do it for the love of the game; it's all about getting paid. Before Impact was here a few h.s. coaches started clubs and began to realize the moneymaking opportunity, Jay just marketed better and became the big dog. If these coaches wanted to promote the game all they have to do is volunteer, at the local rec. center, to give instruction. Every county I've talked to says they would love to have a program like this. If you don't have a rec. center take the kids to the local sand courts and run drills. Many parents seem to think there is a certain status that goes with their kids playing with such-and-such club. That's a shame and I blame clubs and high school coaches for promoting this. Having played around here for 20+ years I know for a fact that there are a lot of qualified people who would love to pass the game on. When we started we had to rely on the older players to teach us the game. They didn't charge us, now we need to give back. Many of you club coaches are friends of mine, but I have to say I'm disappointed in the direction that volleyball is headed.

Please do not say club coaches do it for the love of the game; it's all about getting paid. Before Impact was here a few h.s. coaches started clubs and began to realize the moneymaking opportunity, Jay just marketed better and became the big dog. If these coaches wanted to promote the game all they have to do is volunteer, at the local rec. center, to give instruction. Every county I've talked to says they would love to have a program like this. If you don't have a rec. center take the kids to the local sand courts and run drills. Many parents seem to think there is a certain status that goes with their kids playing with such-and-such club. That's a shame and I blame clubs and high school coaches for promoting this. Having played around here for 20+ years I know for a fact that there are a lot of qualified people who would love to pass the game on. When we started we had to rely on the older players to teach us the game. They didn't charge us, now we need to give back. Many of you club coaches are friends of mine, but I have to say I'm disappointed in the direction that volleyball is headed.

This might be taken as a critical post but I don't take it as such. The second sentence might seem indicting but really isn't. Basketball and baseball and to some degree soccer are sports that Dad's participate in coaching with players of young ages. Volleyball, with technicalities and gender exposure, is best known mostly by females. How many volleyball little leagues do you see around the State on Saturday Mornings for younger kids? And how many do you see in the local rec centers? With as many trying to play right now it would be a chance to start these programs. I think it is so bacause exposure is not great in the sport. Jay and coaches did market but did it by default when parents or older players were not astute enough to understand what was happening. How mand dads even knew about the technicalities of the sport? And how may mothers and female siblings took the time? So if no one else was doing it and Sports for Females were underutilized in schools, what happened did happen. Don't critiicize

them for it or anyone else. Its not too late and enough are playing now that they can learn from each other and Dad's and Mothers and Sisters and for that matter brothers can help in leagues or for that matter the local YMCA.

Clubs are useful, no question, for athlete that wants to be really good but for the young casual player and parents to use volleyball and sports for other reasons, there has yet been any effort, IMO, to tap the market for those who are not interested in traveling all over the United States and entering higher priced venues to play. But I will warn you, once you get started in playing, the alternatives will be to get better or to stop playing. At an older teen age, as in basketball and soccer, Club is of benefit. What seems right now to be in vogue are for Counties to have small clubs and maybe a club for a couple of counties and Vb for age groups and within the state have a system of play when Clubs representing Counties meet ever so often in the summer to compete as if they are schools and have County Clubs. I attended one of those type events and really had not realized the interest until Clubs or teams by age groups, whatever you would like to call it from different counties all met in one area and competed on 10 courts and had cheering, lawn chairs, grandfathers, grand mothers, chanting, a minimum officiating and scorekeeping factor and for instance a team from Dickson county, maury county, rutherford clunty, sumner county, upper cumberland, Bedford, Wilson, Robertson, Cheatam, etc and it was one of the most spirited events I have seen and had a crowd that ringed every court, standing room. Does this have to be in any one particular area, No it can be in any one of those counties and would take quite a few volunteers, as being one official a court,unless enough volunteers available for more, or maybe players calling lines. All of this can be done but fingerpointing will not get it done. An inexpensive way to compete and participate no matter whether its 4th grade thru age 40(a little too low) can be started. Think your way thru it. Most of these kids know each other from other sports anyway. So negativity is a can't do result but parents, grandparents, siblings, teachers are already beginning to start the movement. Only now a place to play and some volunteerism is needed to fill in the need for activity for young females. And what about the metro areas, you don't want to play club, too expensive. Two a three schools each team and parents learning how to officiate, players calling lines and a place to play should be able to get 16 teams in a metro area and even travel a few miles to a major event that might have 30-40 teams in a small geographical area. And while some don't like me to say this, the boys have the oblong ball, volleyball is a good sport for the girls.

One or two people are making so called big money to coach/ run clubs but the coaches make a small sum to do this. It's not money you could live on with one notable exception...

SO, I guess you have a free clinic somewhere you wish to promote? Let us know when and where... I can get at least 8 club coaches to help you.