11AA

ksgovols

The scrimmage for Cheatham Co. yesterday at Hickman Co. was the exact opposite as their first scrimmage at Springfield. Hickman turned a botched snap into a 68 yard run on the first play and then scored a touchdown on their next play. On the ensuing series Cheatham Co. fumbled the ball and gave Hickman prime field position. The Bulldogs scored again on a short field and went up by a couple of scores. From this point forward though Cheatham Co. really responded and did everything right. On offense they ran the football well and really knocked some people off the ball up front. Defensively they didn't allow another 1st down to the Bulldogs in the next 6 series with the 1's vs the 1's. Sam Matlock scored on a pair of short touchdown runs for the Cubs. Later in the scrimmage the Cubs JV added another score against the Bulldogs JV when Mitchell Potts reached paydirt on a QB sneak.

The team really responded well when things went bad for them early in the scrimmage. If there is a point of correction it is that the intensity shown in the final 6 series yesterday is needed from the beginning of the scrimmage. As a fan, all things considered, I am very pleased with the progress that these guys have shown. Having just 3 seniors on the entire team is proof that this is a young group!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand a bit further on the Harpeth - East Lit scrimmage.............East Lit is an exceptionally fast team. Other teams would love to have had a couple of East Lit's linemen and made RBs out ot them. For a second year program, they were impressive and they will do well this season.

From Harpeth's perspective defensively, it was a great learning experience. If you can get to the edges and contain a speed team like East Lit, as Harpeth did on a few occasions, its encouraging. East Lit really couldn't move the ball up the middle against the heart of the Harpeth D. When some players who were out get plugged into the Harpeth D, it will tighten things up even moreso.

On the offensive side, some quick hits would have had success against the Eagle D. QB Roark is still trying to get in his passing groove. The running game has been hitting on all cylinders and the Tice-Patterson combination has been impressive thus far to say the least.

Creek Wood continued to look very strong. beating clarksville 14 to 12 in varsity. The offense went 70 yards or so on the first drive and scored then clarksville went the same distance to score. but after that the Cw D really stepped up Cw scored on there 3rd series. and Clarksvilles next score was with most of the jv kids in..

It is shaping up to be a very exciting year for Cw. they look very good early. Scrimmages tuesday at springfield and friday at clarksville against henry county will tell more.

I don't know how they fared but I do know that Creek Wood scrimmaged Clarksville, Camden scrimmaged Davidson Academy, and Stewart Co. scrimmaged WH-Heritage.

I don't know who Montgomery Central or Waverly Central scrimmaged.

Waverly scrimmaged Collinwood on Friday, but i don't know how Waverly fared.

I don't know how they fared but I do know that Creek Wood scrimmaged Clarksville, Camden scrimmaged Davidson Academy, and Stewart Co. scrimmaged WH-Heritage.

I don't know who Montgomery Central or Waverly Central scrimmaged.

Camden's scrimmage with DA ended in a 3 TD tie. #40 for DA broke a 70 yard run on the first play from scrimmage and then again about a 62 yarder a few series later. If you let that kid past your LBs...he's gone. Camden had a lot of success running it right up the gut and DA had no success at all in the middle...good sign for our lines cause the Lions were outsized by a large margin on both sides of the ball. One thing I didn't fully realize until Friday...the Lions are YOUNG. Younger than we've been in several years. Gonna be some growing pains this year especially in the defensive backfield. This years success will depend alot on how fast these young guys mature and get a feel for things. There are some future playmakers on both sides of the ball for Camden no doubt...but it may be in the future that things really come together for them. Over all though, a good productive scrimmage for both squads.

That DA kid is pretty special. Not many teams, including some of the best teams will be able to contain him for an entire game. He broke for a number of long runs last year. Saw him at a camp this summer and he is quite a player.

Sounds like CW is off to a good start, and winning in the preseason is a confidence booster for the regular season. From all early appearances, sounds like CW is most likely to be sitting in the "catbird seat" when District play begins. Congrats on beating Clarksville.

I don't know if you can actually say that Creek Wood "beat" Clarksville. Both teams scored a couple of times during the varsity portion of the scrimmage with both teams subbing out during their four series. It was a VERY physical scrimmage. The only difference was that Creek Wood made their two extra points and Clarksville did not. Also, the referees did a great job of protecting the QB during sack situations. And with Clarksville's QB, it may not be an automatic sack. He is elusive and can turn a broken play into a big play. Good luck to both teams.