Millington @ Memphis University school

MUS is very,very good, but the info you are putting out is not, Brunetti played 3 QTRS, and the clock was not running the whole second half, exageration not needed. MUS will win state this year no one will be able to handle the offense or the discipline of this team. I know THE TROJANS will be okay, I said before tough games teach lessons. :thumb:

Pardon my error, Brunetti played one series to start the 3rd quarter...and I said most of the second half, I believe the clock started rolling 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Some eye-opening stats:

MUS (1-0 and ranked No. 1 in The Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen), working in 10 new starters on defense, limited Millington to just 103 total yards and two first downs. The Trojans failed to advance past midfield until late in the fourth quarter and finished the game with three turnovers, two of them leading to MUS touchdowns.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I want to say that I love the Trojans. Second you can't win a big game if you are predictible. How many games is it going to take before the MCHS staff get a clue? You have to be balanced. Gardner showed that he can be a punishing runner but must wrap both arms around the ball when finishing a run. The QB showed he actually can move as well as throw. You just place him in a bad position when everybody in the stadium knows you have to throw. The D of MUS was tougher than anybody thought and the O was as tough as everybody thought. MCHS has the power to run and ability to throw the short pass but not the speed to get to the corners so adjust and dominate. Then throw down the field the tall recievers are there. Although we have some injuries at receiver now that we need to heal.

Their starting RB was out due to injury but the back was a good RB. Very disappointing night for the Trojans. MCHS is a better team than took the field tonight. As I said Coaching and game planning would be the difference and it was. It also did not help that we put the ball on the ground. I'm sure that MarkH will be able to elaborate on the stats.

Still got to love them TROJANS.

FIGHT TROJANS FIGHT

Millington's opportunity to PROVE that they're a "better team" comes next week!!!

----------------------------------

OB has a "good" team, not great.... They played only one solid half of football, the got shut out during the 2nd-half, as East's defense made excellent half-time adjustments.

East's passing game absolutely torched OB's cover-2 defense, all nite long! They just couldn't punch it into the end zone, often enough. Meanwhile, OB was GREAT vs the run...in the 1st-half. Led by QB Jazzy Parker, East's running game finally got untracked in the 2nd-half.

Bottom line: If Millington expects to rebound and defeat OB, then Millington must be able to pass the ball effectively. Otherwise, it's likely to be another long nite for Millington.

Congrats to MUS!..... They are a solid football team. But, I wouldn't put them in an "elite" status. They will NOT go Undefeated this year. Brunetti was good, but definitly not the #1 dual threat QB in the nation. He wasn't very accurate throwing the football and is a prolly 5'10" or 5'11". He seems very athletic though and has a good pocket prescence. Their O and D line's dominated our Trojans all night long. It was on the verge of being embarassing. We were bigger, but they were stronger and more physical. I was impressed by both MUS's RB's (#38, and #22). They both brought somethng a lil different to the table. Riddle me this though.... How does #22 end up at MUS when his Older Sister and Younger Brother are both currently going to school at Central HS?.... Additionally, How is it that Barry Brunetti ends up at MUS but lives in Northaven/Westside area?

Our Trojans have a TON to work on this week and over the course of the season. Finding an offensive Identity has to be at or the near the top of the priority list. When is the last time you can remember Our Trojans amassing just 103 yards in total offense?

Go Trojans!!

Trojan fans, I agree and disagree with alot being said. First we do have to find our offensive Idenity. I think we start by playing our linemen in the correct spots, # 1 guard from last year now playing center, and thats fine but it must make a difference on some plays. Improvements need to be made, but I hope some of you stay on the band wagon. We are getting what everyone has been wanting a tougher sch. upfront. We could very well be 0 and 2 and still be better in the end. we really played last night without 4 starters, not to mention Garner missed most of the first three weeks of practice. This team is talented just not ready yet. Those who work and learn from tough times become better. Players and coaches you have our support and love. PS. I think hunter looked good last night, I am sure his footwork surprised a few but not me.

"LETS GO TROJANS"

OB has a "good" team, not great.... They played only one solid half of football, the got shut out during the 2nd-half, as East's defense made excellent half-time adjustments.

East's passing game absolutely torched OB's cover-2 defense, all nite long! They just couldn't punch it into the end zone, often enough. Meanwhile, OB was GREAT vs the run...in the 1st-half. Led by QB Jazzy Parker, East's running game finally got untracked in the 2nd-half.

Bottom line: If Millington expects to rebound and defeat OB, then Millington must be able to pass the ball effectively. Otherwise, it's likely to be another long nite for Millington.

TraderB:

I read the CA's account of the game and then I saw their passing stats and I still don't see how East only scored 14 points after TORCHING OB's secondary. I see Jazzy is going to be a player to watch. What happened to East's 'D' in the first half?

It seems that Millington will face another good run stopping team in OB. Well ... we will see what happens.

yep.. MUS is very good. Millington had a rough time tonight. It was a learning experience for them to play against a very well coached team. Brunetti is pretty much the team for MUS. Without him it would be a totally diff team. Millington needs to pass more. Cant run it every time. They dont have the speed that they have had in the past. They should be ok in there district play.

Well ... of course MUS would be a different team without Brunetti, but I think making a statement like that is an over-simplification of what happened. Correct me if I am wrong ... but to my knowledge ... Brunetti doesn't play defense.

I know that the Millington fans were not expecting this outcome but let's face facts. MUS took Millington out to the woodshed for an old fashioned beating. Their 'D' DOMINATED your 'O'. Thier 'O' DOMINATED your 'D'. Their kicking game was far superior then your kicking game. Their coaches out-coached your coaches. It was a complete and total domination in all aspects of the game. Being down 24-0 at by half can happen. What about half time adjustments?

Look ... I'm not trying to bash Millington. Millington has a recent history of having a strong program. I'm sure they will bounce back from this and use it as motivation. But don't trivialize MUS's perfomance either. They were clearly the better team last night and they proved it pretty convincingly.

Oh yeah ... coach is not a passing coach. Don't go and try to make a square peg fit into a round hole ... it won't work. Coach Hawkin's bread and butter is the Wing-T/power running game. He's an old dog. You may be right ... Millington may need to pass more. Or maybe ... they just needed to pass more LAST NIGHT. Whatever the case may be ... your coach is who he is ... don't frustrate yourself by yelling from the stands for a passing play when YOU KNOW he's a run first type of coach. You can expect maybe 10 passes maximun from him ... maybe. You know it, I know it, and the MUS coaching staff knew it.

i meant by "With out Brunetti" MUS wouldnt be as dominant as they are...they very good but he just adds alot more to there team. Just a observation. Yes Millington got waxed. The first play of the game for Millington was very nice. The roll out or bootleg seemed to start something good then a fumbled snap. I forget what else but small errors like that hurt us before Mus scored. We were 3 & 2 or 3rd & 4 then we would botch up a play or something would go wrong it seemed. Mus also had 2 or 3 bad snaps which helped us early on also so either way they were way out of our league in my opinion last night.

TraderB:

I read the CA's account of the game and then I saw their passing stats and I still don't see how East only scored 14 points after TORCHING OB's secondary. I see Jazzy is going to be a player to watch. What happened to East's 'D' in the first half?

It seems that Millington will face another good run stopping team in OB. Well ... we will see what happens.

Kwc,

If my memory is working, I think that East had about 4 empty trips into Olive Branch's Red Zone! They had another drive to stall @ OB's 30 yard line, with 1-minutes left in the game.

Several things led to East's failure to capitalize more consistently:

---------------------------------------------------------------

1) Self-destruction & poor execution were the biggest reasons -- penalties (illeg. proced, delay of game, holding), 1 missed FG and multiple dropped passes.

The dropped passes were the clear death-nail for East!! #3 was the receiver that did the hammering. He also hammered that fatal nail-- he dropped the 4th-down (sure-fire 1st-down) pass to end their last drive!!!! He dropped at least 5 or 6 wide open passes @ crucial times, killing multiple scoring-drives! It was absolutely sad (for him) and very hard to watch.....

2) Olive Branch's cover-2 defense also tightened up (naturally) in the Red Zone, forcing East to run the ball. East was extremely ineffective in the run game, during in the 1st-half.

-------------------------------------------------

East gave up a whopping 23 pts in the 1st-half (0 in the 2nd). This was the problem:

1) Poor defensive discipline -- East's defenders, especially the LBs and Ends, repeatedly got caught out of position.

They chased and over-persued to one side, only to see OB's speedy RB (Shipp) cut back & pick up uncontested huge gains every single time. It was like a hot knife thru butter! This was the theme of the entire 1st-half.

East shut-out Olive Branch in the 2nd-half, as East's defender's FINALLY stayed in their lanes.

As a result, Olive Branch's running game stalled, as they were no longer picking up their usual 15 to 20-yards a pop! Suddenly, OB had to start passing the ball to avoid 3rd-and-long situations. Their passing game was inconsistent and ineffective. Their little RB-screen play, however, was very effective. They used it repeatedly to get out of deep holes and maintain posession, just as East thought they had them stopped.

At the end of the day, Olive Branch did just enough to "outlast" East and earn a hard-fought victory.

--------------------------------------

Jazzy Parker was the key for East-- He's a poised, very accurate passer. He also used his legs very effectively during the 2nd-half, and keyed the emergence of East's 2nd-half running game.

#7 for East (WR, I think) is a speedy playmaker, but is SEVERELY underused! That kid need to touch the ball as many times as possible, not just as a receiver.

Overall, East appears to have a solid team. They do, however, need need to work out a few crucial kinks: Red Zone offense & defensive discipline.

Well tonight wasn't what I expect. MUS beat the stuffing out of Millington, OB/East game didn't produce as many points as I expected, Houston got beat, and Southwind got ran over. If Millington coaches struggled, I guess Southwind's coaches were remedial. Poor Organization, selfishness from players AND coaches, bad execution, and the worse thing about it was Coach Miller and the other various coaches letting their precious Seniors play all night though they were thouroughly whopped! Some are just coming back now after missing the summer and are still dressing out. I think the score against Brentwood may resemble Munford and Fayette Ware!

Sorry for that short rant, but as for Millington maybe the Jamboree was more of an indicator than I thought. And Rob, it sounds like a little sour grapes coming from you concerning Bruenetti and #22.