Millington @ Memphis University school

I decided to attend this game. I will not get into much detail because the score and stats tell the story of this game; but, I will repeat what I said in general, in the "Bridges Classic" discussion prior to the game being played.

Though I thought that Millington would possibly score up to 14 points against 30+ for MUS in a not-so-competitive game, this game turned out as I expected. The main problem that Millington faced was playing MUS this early in the season. As I said in the "Bridges Classic" discussion. Most publics are at a serious disadvantage when they play comparable size/division private schools very early in the year. School like Millington may be a little better off than inner-city urban schools; but still are at a material disadvantage early in the season against the large privates. The other problem was the fact that MUS is a much better team than Millington in all facets (offense, defense, and special teams/kicking) of the game. If they played late in the season, MUS would still easily beat Millington this year, though the game would be more competitive (assuming both teams are relatively healthy).

In my experience in high school football, only public school teams with significant talent (a few DI caliber players); very good team speed; a serious hard-hitting, intimidating and physically imposing defense; and major confidence/heart; are competitive with and even beat large private schools early in the year, even with limited or poor coaching and a poor kicking game, which is often the case. If your team does not possess these qualities, I would recommend playing privates mid-season or later.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings Tennessee football fans. No, the USP doesn't stand for United States Post Office...it stands for the Univeristy of South Panola. That's what South Panola High School is called in Mississippi by some. We host MUS in a couple of weeks and the game will be shown nationally on ESPNU and i'm looking foward to it. Last year 6A power Apopka from FL visited USP for an ESPNU game and left very disappointed. I graduated from USP but i now now live in Memphis and i was able to see the MUS/Olive Branch game last year. I was impressed with the way MUS played but Olive Branch didn't play well at all in that game. Last night USP opened the season by defeating a pretty good team from south MS 38-0. The MUS QB is good but he hasn't seen anything close to the defense USP will put on the field. If any of you would like to see a preview of USP go to http://www.panolian.com and check out the football preview. Anywho..i'll be stopping back on the board from time to time...take care....

I am a trojan fan, I have been around this program a long time. I am personally vested in what happens to the Trojans. I played football for 10 yrs inc. college. I am not a father trying to live my dream through my son and I am not saying anyone else is either. Im saying I have been there done that and actually do have a little knowledge of the game (limited as it might be). Said that to say this, it is easy to let yourself get caught up in emotion especially if you have a son involved. Most parents are on the inside looking out which is normal. I try also to keep an outside looking in view. I do my best to stay positive but I am also brutally honest...... I heard one of the coaches say they are ready.....they were not. We had as much time to prepare for this game as MUS did and got thumped...it is a bitter bitter pill. Lets ask the hard questions and discuss them......How much fault can be put on the players? Did they play to their full potential or is MUS just that much more talented? If the players did not play to their full potential, why? Who had the better coaches? Is Millington overrated this year? We did not look good in the scrimmages either....... How does these private schools get away with recruiting players? Everyone knows they do it. What can be done about it?

Greetings Tennessee football fans. No, the USP doesn't stand for United States Post Office...it stands for the Univeristy of South Panola. That's what South Panola High School is called in Mississippi by some. We host MUS in a couple of weeks and the game will be shown nationally on ESPNU and i'm looking foward to it. Last year 6A power Apopka from FL visited USP for an ESPNU game and left very disappointed. I graduated from USP but i now now live in Memphis and i was able to see the MUS/Olive Branch game last year. I was impressed with the way MUS played but Olive Branch didn't play well at all in that game. Last night USP opened the season by defeating a pretty good team from south MS 38-0. The MUS QB is good but he hasn't seen anything close to the defense USP will put on the field. If any of you would like to see a preview of USP go to http://www.panolian.com and check out the football preview. Anywho..i'll be stopping back on the board from time to time...take care....

USP94,

Let me assure you--the majority of folks on this board are VERY familiar with the "U," as in the UNIVERSITY of South Panola.....especially the folks that live in the Mphs area! :thumb:

---------------------------------------------------

I began following USP (and Olive Branch) back in 2004 or 2005, right after they first beat the crap out of Germantown! I've followed them ever since and have seen them play (live) 6 to 8 times, including their win over Apoka Florida, their games at OB, and all of their subsequent State Title games.

MUS vs South Panola will be a very intriguing and exciting game, IMO.... I've had that date circled on my calendar, for quite sometime now. I'm glad to see that's it's gonna be televised. That'll save me a drive down to Batesville.

I agree about USP's defense....MUS definitely has its work cut out for them (on both sides of the ball, actually). South Panola has athletes, speed, size, kicking game and, most importantly, team DISCIPLINE.... They've got a complete, balanced and talented team--the type that will give MUS fits.

Having said all that, my gut tells me that MUS will hold its own vs USP.....I'm stopping short of saying that MUS will defeat South Panola, though.