To The Sullivan South Family

STARSNBARS

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a article today in Kingsport Times news with comments from Jake's parents.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9016390

Jake Logue's parents statement to the public and media

Jake Logue's parents did not want to talk to the media, but they issued the following statement before Wednesday night's services.

_________

Our apologies up front for some of the corny clichés and concepts contained in this message of thanks, but this is the way it poured out of our hearts.

First of all, we have been amazed, comforted and uplifted by the outpouring of support in this time of sorrow. You really don’t realize the value and breadth of relationships built over the years until such an event. We have simply been awed by friends and family from all eras of our life who have reached out to us over the last several days. The entire community has been unbelievable in their private and public support, from signs and symbols displayed in numerous ways, to dedicated services, personal witness and prayers in churches that we didn’t even know about. We were not quite ready to participate, but the Saturday candlelight service at South was awesome. And the prayer vigil at West High School was just unbelievable. Again, while we didn’t participate, we did get to meet a few of the West High football team, including Dylan Baylosis who came up with the idea and helped organize the event. They actually came to our house with many of Jake’s teammates on Sunday night to express their personal condolences. We want to personally thank the West High players, coaches and community for all of their support and prayers.

As to the South High students, community and all those we consider our extended family; we cannot thank you enough for your heartfelt sympathy, acts of kindness and prayers. We must offer a special thank you to our fellow Pigskin Parents and Tree House Gang parents, and our Colonial Heights Presbyterian Church family...you are a Godsend. Finally, we haven’t had the strength yet to read many of the words of encouragement and support on the internet, including Facebook, MySpace, blogs, and many of the other communication vehicles we don’t fully understand, but from what we have seen and heard it is enough to simply be overwhelmed.

Now a little bit about Jake. He was by no means perfect. He was human in every way, with all the faults that come with that. But he was special as a son, a brother, a grandson, a friend and a teammate; He was even pretty special as a competitor. We can tell you for sure that he so appreciates the support from all sources provided to his family and friends. And if we know Jake, if it were one of his friends, teammates, or competitors instead of him, he would have been right in the middle of organizing the support system himself.

Jake was a leader in many ways, but he also knew how, and when to follow. Jake strongly believed, and even preached that the measure of a man, or woman, had nothing to do with race, religion, gender, political party, or any other label we tend to put on others. Jake believed that character, heart and soul are what matters, period.

Jake was a story-teller extraordinaire. Over the last several days, we have heard many of those stories repeated by his friends. Some of the stories we had heard many times, some we had never heard, and we’re sure some we have yet to hear. Jake could poke fun at pretty much anyone, but always in a way that showed respect. He could give as well as he could take, and he was often the target of his own wit. He could simply make you laugh out loud and enjoy life.

Jake held his coaches in high regard. While he was known to do an occasional impression of some of his coaches, including the famous “Carter look”, it was always truly a sign of respect and love. He actually wanted to be a teacher and coach. On his MySpace profile, in the field for Occupation, he simply stated “Stacy Carter”. In answer to the question “Who I’d like to meet”, he responded “Anyone who wants to meet me”. That pretty much describes Jake.

This is not a time to find fault, or look for someone to blame, so please don’t go there in your heart or your head. Somehow, this is a part of a plan we don’t understand, and won’t ever understand from our perspective on earth. Perhaps one purpose for something like this is to remind us all that, while we will one day go to a better place, and surely see Jake again, it is important for us to understand just how much we need to cherish the time we have together in this life, today and every day. And maybe a powerful, if sometimes painful memory of a person like Jake will serve as a reminder of the kind of person we should each strive to be.

It is hard to comprehend why we deserve to lose someone so cherished as Jake. But it is just as hard to understand why we were so blessed to have a kid like Jake for 18 years; and we continue to be blessed to have a kid like his brother Alex; and the love of a wonderful spouse and parents, much less the extended family, and wonderful friends and coworkers with which God has graced us.

Finally, while it will be painful over the next several steps of the grieving process, you know Jake wants us to go on, live life to the fullest and love and respect each other. One thing that will personally help us get through this pain is the memory of Jake, his great strength, his unwavering faith, and his perseverance in the face of adversity. We picture Jake holding up 4 fingers, signifying that it is time to play with all our strength through the 4th quarter. These strong memories of Jake, the support and love from those around us, and our own faith in our Lord will get us through this together.

As your mother told you many, many times, Jakie Jake, we love you to infinity and beyond.

I can't even begin to express the sadness that has overwhelmed my heart this week - sadness for Jake's family, teammates, friends, coaches, teachers, for all those who knew him or were touched by his life, including those at Knox West and in other football communities across the country. But I am not sad for Jake, for Jake has gone Home, to be with his beloved Jesus. I am sad for all of us left behind because we will miss Jake, and in missing him, will ache. But Jake hurts no more. He is in the Blessed Arms of his Lord, and I'm sure, smiling that great Jake smile! Because Jake now is experiencing what the rest of us can only imagine...

"I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side.

I can only imagine what my eyes will see, when Your face is before me.

Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel?

Will I dance for You, Jesus, or in awe of You be still?

Will I stand in Your Presence, to my knees will I fall?

Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?

I can only imagine, I can only imagine...

I can only imagine when that day comes, and I find myself standing in the Son.

I can only imagine when all I will do is forever, forever worship You.

I can only imagine. I can only imagine"*

Jake no longer has to imagine...he knows the Glory of Jesus. And he will be waiting to greet each of his loved ones as they join him. Until that day, you will all be in my prayers. God bless.

*(part of the lyrics to "I Can Only Imagine" sung by Mercyme)

This is a wonderful tribute to a boy that will be remembered by many that knew him, and even many, like me, that did not. I can't even phathom the pain of his parents, but agree with others that this is part of the plan God had made even before Jake was born. Looking through the pictures of the prayer vigil for Jake across the state, I can promise one thing: The state and government can tell us that prayer is not allowed in school, but this reality for many teens of how fast life can be over has brought many teens to their knees. Jake Logue, your life and your passing may have saved countless other teens from continuing the wrong path and led them to a new Life. So, yes, Tennessee...no matter what laws may say, Prayer IS alive in the schools system and Jake Logue will not be forgotten.

Prayers from Middle Tennessee and Robertson County.

My deepest sympathy to not only Jakes parents, but to the whole South community. As a dad, I can't even begin to imagine the hurt and helpless feeling everyone must have felt on the field last Friday in Knoxville. Driving back from the Farragut game I was almost sick to my stomach, hoping somehow this big tough kid could shrug it off and be ok. Life's not fair,and things happen for a reason a lot of people say, but there's nothing I can say, or type that's going to ease the hurt felt by so many. This is the best I can do....I'm a hardcore D-B fan, but for the first time, I'll be pulling for the Rebels to win the state this year, and for all the South players..play every down, every game for Jake, and for the young man thats getting ready to fill in that big empty space, lets not forget to stand behind him every week ...somehow I think thats where Jake will be too. Good luck, play hard and make us proud.

Comp said it all, and so elegantly so. For once... even I was at a loss for words and was literally brought to tears as I heard the story unfold the night of this tragic occurrence. I couldn't help but make the relationship with the night my son hysterically called me and could only manage to mutter the words "He's gone Daddy... Seths' gone" between the tears and emotion as he was trying to tell me the news of the tragic loss of his good friend and teammate Seth Coy in a car accident just last month. What do you say at times like these... it will be ok? Because it's not ok... and it's not going to be ok for a long time. There will ultimately be questions and speculations over how and why this happened, but the reality of it is... it's God's timing... and shouldn't ever be looked at any other way. I know its very hard to see at this time... but there is and will be a positive that comes out of this tragidy. JAKE wouldn't have it any other way from what I've learned about this young man over the course of this week.

I have had the pleasure of meeting many Sullivan South athletes and family members, and have developed meaningful relationships and memories with many of them over the years. To you and the rest of the Rebel family... I share your pain. To JAKE'S family I must say... for me to say I could begin to know and feel the pain you must have to endure at this bereaved time would be an untruth... because I can only imagine; and just that thought threatens to bring me to my knees. But what I will tell you is that if there is anything that I personally could do that would even begin to easy your pain during this trial... I would or will not hesitate.

A week ago many of us didn't know JAKE LOGUE, but tonight JAKE'S life was honored in football stadiums all over the state of Tennessee and beyond by THOUSANDS. With prayers and a moment of silence we celebrated the life of someone that was obviously loved by as many people that knew him. I have no doubt that JAKE felt it tonight... and as he looked down on tonight's proceedings, I bet he couldn't help but smile as he realized how his life and testimony has touched so many. He will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...