Lewis Co Panthers

ddaddy

“7-10 games each year because of a little coaching and a lot of talent” This is the most obtuse statement that I have read on a Lewis County post! During his tenure as head coach in LC Coach Sharp has coached our teams to 40% of the victories that we have had in the history of Lewis County Football. There’s no doubt that over the past 88 years we have had some great kids and good talent come through our program. Since you are up on how great our “talent” level has been, how many DI A College athletes have come through in those 88 years (that played)? 1- Billy Grover at Vandy in the 1950’s. I assure you that we don’t have to be hard on Coach Sharp for starting 0-2 because no one can be harder on him then he is on himself. Can we do better? I hope so and I hope we will. If we are going to give Coach Sharp the credit for the losses let’s give him recognition for the 183 that he has won since coming here. After all in the 60+ years before he came we were 277-240-17 and with that being said this will be my last response to asinine statements.

Obtuse! Ha! Looks like somebody has been watching The Shawshank Redemption! Better watch it, Andy...Warden Norton will throw you in the hole for using big words he doesn't know the meaning of! I love that movie. Get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'... Love it!!!

Saying that only one D1-A athlete has come from the Lewis County football program is true, but not altogether accurate. There have been athletes who have played for Lewis County under Coach Sharp who could have suited up for a number of D1-A programs. Granted, they didn't. Some shot themselves in the foot and some were just plain not marketed because Coach Sharp didn't want his good name attached to them. They were thugs, troublemakers, intellectually challenged, chemically enhanced (this one isn't exclusive to the talented players...this has been the 400 pound gorilla in the corner for years. Ever wonder why there are so few players over 6 feet? This needs to stop.), or Coach Sharp simply didn't believe they had the heart and gumption to last in a college football atmosphere. This isn't a big secret inside Lewis County.

All this notwithstanding, I hope Lewis County will figure out a way to turn it around and make a good showing the rest of the season. These kids have a lot of pressure on them to succeed due to the tradition. Lets keep this in mind.

Do you know any of this to be fact or pure speculation? I can give you one fact...this years senior class.....none of that applies without a doubt, From top to bottom. None intellectually challenged, none chemically enhanced, no thugs etc. Pretty harsh statement if you don't know any to be true, not only on Sharp but the program as a whole. They do have some "natural" talent with brains. If you don't know any of this to be absolutely fact, you have thrown a big cloud over alot of players, past and present. If you do know fact.....report it to the TSSAA and get it cleared up and fixed.

I do agree with your comment about the pressure these kids are under this year. I'm curious to see how the fans support them through the tough times facing them......last weeks crowd was down some, but probably due to the fair being in town.....I hope......this week should tell if the support is there. Lewis has a couple of classes coming up in the next 2 years with big numbers that should bring the program back to where its expected to be. If the coaching staff would have known that TSSAA was going to throw this at them, the might have played more 2nd and 3rd stringers last year to gain experience.....but it is what it is. If you want to watch some exciting ball....come out and catch a game.....the outcome is never certain......till the finale horn goes off. Side note...This years seniors are more like Vandy players in the SEC, smart and play hard even with the odds against them.....maybe we could have a brain bowl after each game and at least get a split :popcorneater::blush::roflolk:

I know nothing of this year's team. I really wasn't referring to this year's team. And I assume that you are talking about the enhancement statement. I have to assume that you are being facetious on this one. Lots of high school programs have this issue. It's really not hard to pick them out.

And why is this a harsh statement on Coach Sharp? Saying that he doesn't want to sully Lewis County by marketing a kid that is a good athlete, but has a serious downside is harsh?

And I might be mistaken, but I thought that this new setup has been in the works for a couple of years. Using the theory that Coach Sharp would have played more second and third stringers in order to get them some playing time if he had known would hold true for this year, too. By this logic, he should be pulling the seniors in favor of freshmen and sophomores in order to get ready for next season. Coach Sharp puts the best players on the field with an eye on winning the game that is being played.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally do not post a lot of comments, but feel I must reply to 926's comments regarding the insinuation of enhancements being used in our program. Your comments are way off base. This senior class and even the lower classmen are not 'chemically enhanced'. If you feel you need to point fingers at someone do it on a more narrow basis not to generalize the team or program as a whole. Also, this thread is talking about the program this year. If your comments are based on something you may or may not know from the past take it up somewhere else, maybe with those players/coaches you are accusing.

This senior group has several players that are currently in the top 10 of their class with some players carrying a 4.0 GPA. The potential is there for several to possibly play at the next level.

Did you ever think that maybe if someone in the past did not pursue playing at the next level that it was their own fault? Maybe they lacked the desire to play the game, the willingness to stand on the sidelines until it was their turn to suit up, or they didn't apply themselves enough in school to make the grades to even go to college. Don't blame the coach unless there are facts to support your comment.

As I said earlier this thread is for the Panther program this year. Unless you know something to be absolutely true, keep it to yourself or address it with the person in question.

As for this year's season, it isn't over yet. We may have lost the first two ballgames but there are eight more to go. This group of players and coaches will continue to work hard each week and give 100% to the game.

Signed A Proud Panther Fan

@LCfootballfan

I know for a fact that Sharp has not marketed these players like he should have. Heard it from the former players on mouth, recently as a matter of fact. It takes more than putting a name on a mailing list. Pick up the phone and call, create a highlight video, etc. There have been many kids who could have played and were good quality kids who had their heads on straight. Too bad their name was not out there. It is a shame!

@926

Trust me, the coaches and administration knew this change was coming. The may not have known when. The talk has been swirling for some time now.

@radio33

About time to step up and play the teams that every other sport has to play. Giles, Marshall, Page, and Spring Hill are in the same district for softball, basketball, and baseball. Don't whine now because football has to play. What does it profit to win 8-10 games a year and lose in the first or second round of the playoffs? Maybe some are content to win the district and make it to the playoffs each year. I don't know. Why not win 6-7 games per year and be prepared when playoff time arrives?

I normally do not post a lot of comments, but feel I must reply to 926's comments regarding the insinuation of enhancements being used in our program. Your comments are way off base. This senior class and even the lower classmen are not 'chemically enhanced'. If you feel you need to point fingers at someone do it on a more narrow basis not to generalize the team or program as a whole. Also, this thread is talking about the program this year. If your comments are based on something you may or may not know from the past take it up somewhere else, maybe with those players/coaches you are accusing.

This senior group has several players that are currently in the top 10 of their class with some players carrying a 4.0 GPA. The potential is there for several to possibly play at the next level.

Did you ever think that maybe if someone in the past did not pursue playing at the next level that it was their own fault? Maybe they lacked the desire to play the game, the willingness to stand on the sidelines until it was their turn to suit up, or they didn't apply themselves enough in school to make the grades to even go to college. Don't blame the coach unless there are facts to support your comment.

As I said earlier this thread is for the Panther program this year. Unless you know something to be absolutely true, keep it to yourself or address it with the person in question.

As for this year's season, it isn't over yet. We may have lost the first two ballgames but there are eight more to go. This group of players and coaches will continue to work hard each week and give 100% to the game.

good post :popcorneater:

Holy Lord in Heaven! It's pretty obvious that my posts are a little thick for some to swallow, so I will try to dilute for the challenged. I said OUTRIGHT in my last post that I wasn't referring to this year's team. I know my posts can be a struggle to understand. I try to dumb them down as best I can. Really, I do. I don't doubt for one minute that any of the kids on this year's Lewis County Panthers football team are anything other than great kids. As I said before (and obviously need to clarify) I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS YEAR'S TEAM AND MY STATEMENTS WERE ADDRESSING A POST ABOUT HOHENWALD/LEWIS COUNTY ONLY PRODUCING ONE D1-A PLAYER.

Maybe you need to go back and re-read my initial post on this subject. I think you'll find that I addressed all of the same frigging things you implied I should have addressed in that initial post. I will help you out and paraphrase....It's not Coach Sharp's fault that some of the players who were talented enough to play at the next level, didn't.

The post is on page #2 of this thread...second from the bottom. I would hyperlink, but this board doesn't have that feature.

@LCfootballfan

I know for a fact that Sharp has not marketed these players like he should have. Heard it from the former players on mouth, recently as a matter of fact. It takes more than putting a name on a mailing list. Pick up the phone and call, create a highlight video, etc. There have been many kids who could have played and were good quality kids who had their heads on straight. Too bad their name was not out there. It is a shame!

@926

Trust me, the coaches and administration knew this change was coming. The may not have known when. The talk has been swirling for some time now.

@radio33

About time to step up and play the teams that every other sport has to play. Giles, Marshall, Page, and Spring Hill are in the same district for softball, basketball, and baseball. Don't whine now because football has to play. What does it profit to win 8-10 games a year and lose in the first or second round of the playoffs? Maybe some are content to win the district and make it to the playoffs each year. I don't know. Why not win 6-7 games per year and be prepared when playoff time arrives?

Yes, this is well known. Or, at least I thought it was.

@LCfootballfan

@926

@radio33

It is NOT up the Coach to market, promote, make highlight videos, call, etc. etc, when it comes to getting an opportunity to play at the next level. The coach needs to be available for calls, reference letters, access to film to etc. etc, but it's not his job to do this for the player.

That is the player and his families' responsibility!!

Most good High School coaches teach all day, then practice football, then watch film, come in on the weekends to watch film, trade film etc; when do they have time to promote/market players?

The Player and His Family need to take responsiblity for this. :popcorneater:

Great post 66in74! I believe the responsibility falls to the player and parents to pursue playing college ball. Most every college has a prospect questionnaire available on their website and information as to where to send highlight video.

Don't think this is going to be an issue this year. I understand they only have one that might be able to go to the next level, a defensive end, But agree with you.....parents and players need to just take charge and not depend on anyone else. In a couple of years they might have some that could take the next step. Still think this group has a few surprises in them before the years over. I take my hats off to them even 0-2, they have never quit in either game and fought to the last seconds......Lewis county tradition is still there, not the wins but the effort :roflol: . I got to see them play in Lexingtion, impressed with the effort especially for their first time together. Hang in there Lewis county!!!!!! :lol:

Talked to some of Lewis county supporters, they said that the played Page even for a half, and that the second half the couldn't make tackles. Did the players run out of gas the second half? You guys have been in every game...but just can't seem to make that play or tackle at the end to change the outcome. Also was told that the play calling isn't up to par. Come on Lewis.......you need to put a whole game together and get that first win and then I think things will start rolling. Sometimes a win with inexperienced players can make all the differance. Don't see any easy games this year, but still think there are some wins out there.

GOOD LUCK LEWIS!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Talked to some of Lewis county supporters, they said that the played Page even for a half, and that the second half the couldn't make tackles. Did the players run out of gas the second half? You guys have been in every game...but just can't seem to make that play or tackle at the end to change the outcome. Also was told that the play calling isn't up to par. Come on Lewis.......you need to put a whole game together and get that first win and then I think things will start rolling. Sometimes a win with inexperienced players can make all the differance. Don't see any easy games this year, but still think there are some wins out there.

GOOD LUCK LEWIS!!!!!!!! :thumb:

The play calling is most likely on par with what it has been for the past several years. Not a jab at the coaches at all. Just a fact. Everybody who knows anything about Coach Sharp knows he hate's passing worse than God hates sin and he just won't do it very much. The middle school program and even the junior pro program runs (or used to...I'm not certain about now) the same offense and defense as the high school. This means VERY limited passing (3 attempts in a game would be airing it out) and the 4 linebacker defense. This also means that if Lewis County can't run, they can't move the ball. And they are a little lost against a good passing team because their base defense is so ingrained in the kids' heads.

I believe that these kids just need a little more time. They will pull it together and get a few wins. They will figure it out.