Ensworth vs. MBA

TrackRunner4291

In the 100+ years of MBA football, there are probably few games that really compare to this one. Fitz Lassing is an absolute beast. Words can not describe what kind of makeup that kid has. If he doesn't win the award for the most outstanding boy in the school, then I won't know what to say....

So much for the MBA seniors not wanting to play Ensworth. Great season for the Tigers. Darkwa will always be remembered around here, that kid deserves a championship.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to some players, and I now know that they do look at these threads, and comments like hdcastle's about MBA wanting out of the season and not wanting to play EHS again really are great motivation, so I'd just like to say thanks to all of the people (probably a majority on this thread) that picked EHS, sometimes by a wide margin, for adding fuel to the fire

I was talking to some players, and I now know that they do look at these threads, and comments like hdcastle's about MBA wanting out of the season and not wanting to play EHS again really are great motivation, so I'd just like to say thanks to all of the people (probably a majority on this thread) that picked EHS, sometimes by a wide margin, for adding fuel to the fire

Let's not forget this veiled slam on another thread (I'll leave out the names, although they are out there):

Unidentified poster #1:

So the computer is only picking one upset (BA over CBHS). I bet there will be another upset in one of the other 3 games.

Unidentified poster #2:

Boy don't we all wish that Baylor beats MUS but I don't see it happening. Only other chance would be Briarcrest beating Ryan. It just depends which Ryan offense shows up.

Notice the convenient omission of the fourth DII-AA game.

Regardless, great game dialed up in Nashville's area code last night.

In the 100+ years of MBA football, there are probably few games that really compare to this one. Fitz Lassing is an absolute beast. Words can not describe what kind of makeup that kid has. If he doesn't win the award for the most outstanding boy in the school, then I won't know what to say....

So much for the MBA seniors not wanting to play Ensworth. Great season for the Tigers. Darkwa will always be remembered around here, that kid deserves a championship.

In '70, an unheralded MBA (2-8 the previous season) team beat nationally ranked Brownsville 21-0. MBA had opened the season with a tie against Hillwood, and hadn't been beaten. The first win over Trinity also comes to mind. However, neither of these games came against a team that had already hammered MBA once in the season.

There's an adage that more games are lost than are won, and that's certainly true here. While the decision to go for the TD late in the game is one on which knowledgable observers can debate, in my mind, the decision to go for it on 4th down inside your own 30 with a 14 point lead is utterly indefensible. I can't come up with a plausible explanation; everything I come up with is a little unflattering to the EHS coaching staff...hubris, contempt for your opponent...stuff like that. All I know with certainty is that Nancy Pelosi has been seen in a turtleneck, and Rush Limbaugh has checked himself into a mental facility, bringing with him a pallet of Listerine.

Yes, Lassing played well, but the really star of the game was Andrew Fletcher with two 40+ field goals.

KW:

Agree with your comments about EHS going for it at their own 30 with a 14 point lead early in the third quarter. I felt like that was the turning point of the game. There was no apparent reason for doing it. MBA's offense was struggling. Their lone touchdown in the first half came off a wildcat formation with Lassing take a direct snap. Everyone thought run and Tanner got behind an EHS defense that bit on the run for a long TD. MBA's defense was hitting hard but having a tough time containing Darkwa. He dominated in the first half. The MBA defense and sideline were happy to have stopped EHS from converting on third down. At that point, even with the short the yardage, a punt was in order. There was no reason to fear turning the ball over to the MBA offense, unless your punter was hurt. Based on the game at that point, the risk of giving MBA a short field if you don't make it was far greater than giving them back the ball and having them drive from their own territory. Field position was what mattered at that point. Those of us standing on the patio behind the end zone where that series of plays took place were all saying surely they won't go for it, they are just going to try to bait MBA into jumping offsides. Darkwa tried to go over the top, but MBA cut his legs out from under and MBA got the ball. You could feel the excitement going through their team when they stopped EHS.

With a short field, MBA scored. Kudos to MBA's wide receiver Mobeley who made a pro-like catch for the touchdown right in front of us, keeping both feet in bounds on a dime and catching a ball that looked like it might intended to a receiver in front of him but over thrown. And I think this was shortly after an EHS defensive back had turned out his front porch light on an incomplete pass over the middle with a beautiful hard but clean hit. As Dandy Don used to say on MNF, Old Mo' had just switched sides. MBA's defense came out really fired up after the kickoff, caused a fumble on a pitch to Darkwa, recovered the fumble ( kudos to the MBA kid who jumped on Darkwa so he couldn't scramble back for the ball, leaving the glory of the recovery to someone else ). With another short field, MBA went on to score the tying TD.

I personally would have taken the three points when EHS went for it on 4th and goal in the 4th quarter, but can understand that call. If you don't make it, MBA has to start on its own three, is probably going to be conservative and you figure you stop them and get the ball back in good field position with plenty of time to score and win. You don't expect MBA to hold the ball for the next 8:30 and kick a field goal to win it with just 41 seconds left. But they did. Perfectly executed drive. Well coached but really it was a great effort by the MBA players, particularly Lassing with a lot of second effort, carrying tacklers with him, that did it. Someone else compared this to the Brownsville game back in the 70s. The last drive reminded me more of the late game winning drive led by Ingle Martin against a star-studded Jacksonville Bolles team many years back.

Darkwa is a super, super running back. If he stays healthy, we should continue to hear about him at the college level. And the Fletcher kid will be playing at the next level as well. What a leg. That kick would have been good from 50.

I agree with you on all counts. From the Ensworth side, I would have taken the field goal in the 4th as well. It puts a little more distance between you and MBA, and maybe the points take some of the momentum away from MBA. At the same time, forcing them to go 95 yards doesn't seems such a bad trade off, since the potential payoff (an EHS touchdown) puts it pretty much out of reach.

When MBA beat Maplewood, Maplewood got outcoached. In this one, I'm afraid it pretty much comes down to that one decision. Beyond that, Ensworth really did nothing wrong. Darkwa's fumble...well, if you pitch the ball out regularly, occasionally you'll lose one. Ensworth came out ahead statistically, and has a superior set of athletes. Certainly McGuigin put together a good game plan, and convinced the boys they could stay with Ensworth. But in the main, I think this one comes down to Bowers.

Hey, Chattpin, wake up and come in from that Scenic City fog you must be lost in. Darkwa played the entire game-----rushed for 240 and a TD.

Try reading a paper before making stupid posts like that.

And turned in his equipment, because, unlike the kittens he ran over, he doesn't have any more football games to play this year.

KW:

Agree with your comments about EHS going for it at their own 30 with a 14 point lead early in the third quarter. I felt like that was the turning point of the game. There was no apparent reason for doing it. MBA's offense was struggling. Their lone touchdown in the first half came off a wildcat formation with Lassing take a direct snap. Everyone thought run and Tanner got behind an EHS defense that bit on the run for a long TD. MBA's defense was hitting hard but having a tough time containing Darkwa. He dominated in the first half. The MBA defense and sideline were happy to have stopped EHS from converting on third down. At that point, even with the short the yardage, a punt was in order. There was no reason to fear turning the ball over to the MBA offense, unless your punter was hurt. Based on the game at that point, the risk of giving MBA a short field if you don't make it was far greater than giving them back the ball and having them drive from their own territory. Field position was what mattered at that point. Those of us standing on the patio behind the end zone where that series of plays took place were all saying surely they won't go for it, they are just going to try to bait MBA into jumping offsides. Darkwa tried to go over the top, but MBA cut his legs out from under and MBA got the ball. You could feel the excitement going through their team when they stopped EHS.

With a short field, MBA scored. Kudos to MBA's wide receiver Mobeley who made a pro-like catch for the touchdown right in front of us, keeping both feet in bounds on a dime and catching a ball that looked like it might intended to a receiver in front of him but over thrown. And I think this was shortly after an EHS defensive back had turned out his front porch light on an incomplete pass over the middle with a beautiful hard but clean hit. As Dandy Don used to say on MNF, Old Mo' had just switched sides. MBA's defense came out really fired up after the kickoff, caused a fumble on a pitch to Darkwa, recovered the fumble ( kudos to the MBA kid who jumped on Darkwa so he couldn't scramble back for the ball, leaving the glory of the recovery to someone else ). With another short field, MBA went on to score the tying TD.

I personally would have taken the three points when EHS went for it on 4th and goal in the 4th quarter, but can understand that call. If you don't make it, MBA has to start on its own three, is probably going to be conservative and you figure you stop them and get the ball back in good field position with plenty of time to score and win. You don't expect MBA to hold the ball for the next 8:30 and kick a field goal to win it with just 41 seconds left. But they did. Perfectly executed drive. Well coached but really it was a great effort by the MBA players, particularly Lassing with a lot of second effort, carrying tacklers with him, that did it. Someone else compared this to the Brownsville game back in the 70s. The last drive reminded me more of the late game winning drive led by Ingle Martin against a star-studded Jacksonville Bolles team many years back.

Darkwa is a super, super running back. If he stays healthy, we should continue to hear about him at the college level. And the Fletcher kid will be playing at the next level as well. What a leg. That kick would have been good from 50.

The MBA boys showed poise and character and deserved to come up with the W.

However, they never would have had a chance without the help of the Ensworth head coach.

It was ego and vanity that made him go for it on 4th down on his own 30 and it was ego and vanity that made him go for the touchdown instead of the go-ahead field goal in the 4th quarter. Those coaching decisions gave MBA a chance to get back into the game. Without them, they had no real chance.

Old gold, do you have any predictions for today or Sunday? I need a new car.

Since I hold Mr. Woodroof in high esteem (I really do), I will state my football view that this will be a close game. Ensworth has gotten more banged up since the early game against MBA, yet I am certain MBA has also. BUT, MBA has overcome the adversity of losing their startiing quarterback, and still has athletes who can make plays. Lassing has taking on a heavy load and been up to it. Fletcher is great kicker, and EHS doesn't really have much of a kicking game.

Ensworth may well have to throw the ball more, and I would think that MBA is the better passing team, if it comes down to that.

Darkwa should be well rested with essentially three weeks off. I think this is high scoring with over 60 points scored bythe two teams. EHS ought to win, but not by more than a touchdown.

I completely agree with you (almost), and I think that you make some excellent points. Both teams, as in inevitable throughout a season, are banged up, and MBA has done an excellent job of overcoming the the adversity of two QB changes. Fletcher has a great leg, and Lassing is undoubtedly the best player on the team, and has carried MBA on several occasions. I also agree that MBA has a slight edge in the passing game. On all of these things I agree with you. I will put in my two cents in addition, I think that MBA and other teams are more suited to a long season with more injuries because of their relatively deep roster. As stated in another post, EHS only has about 50 players to MBA's 80 something. EHS may have a great starting 22, but throughout the game with long sustained drives, I think that having so many players (especially on the lines) going both ways will come back to bite the tigers. MBA seems to be able to sub people in for players like Lassing, Tanner, and Bars, while EHS has many 2-way players that dont have backups that can compete at a high enough level.

Thus far, I havent seen many serious score predictions, so I'll give mine, but feel free to disagree:

MBA:31

EHS:28