Ensworth vs. MBA

TrackRunner4291

This is the 17th page of this MBA/EHS thread and it just shows there is a lot of interest in this game by both students, parents, and fans.

This is an intense and jealous rivalry that makes this a game hard to predict.

I don't won't to mention the "war" word (sorry KWoodroff) but maybe a battle. The last game was pretty intense with lots of hard hits producing multiple injuries, even season ending injuries.

Some random thoughts:

MBA's injured QB will be emotional spark for the MBA team.

EHS hasn't hit anybody in 2 weeks and could be flat.

There are alot of Gold balls in the MBA hallway and some were won when MBA was the underdog.

Lassing might not be the best DII back but he runs harder than Dakwa and that makes the run game about even. Lassing never comes off the field to get a blow and Dakwa does.

Passing game is also about even, maybe slight edge (79yds/gm vs 69yds) to EHS.

Kicking game is MBA's.

Home game for EHS.

Coach Ricky can taste the championship and will have his team fired up.

MBA's defense coordinator has see the potent EHS offense once and will be better prepared.

A mediocre underdog BA team played against EHS last year in playoff and won.

Health rumors running rampant about Dakwa just like last year with EHS's QB Jefferson.

Good luck on predictions, should be a great game.

With a pre-game anaylsis like this I wonder if ESPN is hiring!!!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to hear hdcastle's take on the game!!! Probably busy taking up equipment and storing it for next year!

"The last meeting between these two teams exposed that in the 1st quarter. However, this is a rivalry game and MBA has potential to really come out and score some points, and their defense has been solid most of the year. But as stated earlier, Ensworth is the better team hands down.

In order for MBA to win they have to cause turnovers and capitalize on all of their red zone opportunities. They really have to be mistake free and find ways to at least contain the Ensworth ground game.

As for Ensworth, the Tigers will have to do what they have been doing all year, and that's run until the scoreboard clock reads all zeroes. They will also have to limit their procedure penalties as they average 74 yards a game in penalties (leads DII)."

That is an excerpt from my blog.

MBA did what they had to do in order to win, EHS didn't. Simple as that. EHS made mistakes, MBA didn't and capitalized on the opportunities EHS gave them. On the game winning drive the EHS defense was gassed and could no longer contain Lassing and the MBA short game and 43 yards for Fletcher is almost a gimme.

In the first had a 24-7 lead right before Fletcher hit a long FG. They did exactly what they did not do in the second, they ran well and was able to stop every threat MBA had. Except on Lassing's TD pass which ended up being the game changer.

It showed in the first half that MBA's confidence was not high like I predicted, especially when their students didn't decide to show up until the 2nd quarter. But big plays bought them a lot of it. Those guys played great did what they needed to do.

Ensworth was out played and out coached. There weren't many questionable calls, not many dirty plays, and no cheating. MBA won fair and square.

Honestly, this was the hardest game that a team could lose. Playoff game at home against your arch rival that you dominated earlier in the year. After the game it felt like Chuck Norris had kicked me in the stomach (minus death). It's a shame that Senior talent this great was to put to waste. This loss will stick for a long time.

What are you doing right now sugarman10? Calling out teenagers on the internet? Lucky for you that you're able be a tool all year round. Once again, I'm not a manger. I'm a videographer, commentator and writer for Rivals High. I work some with the team so I can get to know them better as players and people.

I agree with you on all counts. From the Ensworth side, I would have taken the field goal in the 4th as well. It puts a little more distance between you and MBA, and maybe the points take some of the momentum away from MBA. At the same time, forcing them to go 95 yards doesn't seems such a bad trade off, since the potential payoff (an EHS touchdown) puts it pretty much out of reach.

When MBA beat Maplewood, Maplewood got outcoached. In this one, I'm afraid it pretty much comes down to that one decision. Beyond that, Ensworth really did nothing wrong. Darkwa's fumble...well, if you pitch the ball out regularly, occasionally you'll lose one. Ensworth came out ahead statistically, and has a superior set of athletes. Certainly McGuigin put together a good game plan, and convinced the boys they could stay with Ensworth. But in the main, I think this one comes down to Bowers.

I agree with this.

There weren't many questionable calls, not many dirty plays, and no cheating.

I think a big momentum turn, mindset-wise, occurred after a series of post-play shoving, punching, and mouthing-off early in the first half by one Ensworth DL finally resulted in an MBA retaliation. As usually is the case, the instigating action was missed but the retaliation was not, resulting in an MBA 15-yard UC penalty. From that point on, one could see a change in the expressions on all of the MBA linemen (hard not to notice with the visitor stands so close to the sideline) - a look that said, "you may whip us, but you're not going to punk us". The post-play shoving, etc. did stop for the most part thereafter; my guess is that the EHS coaching staff eventually got through to the young man that he was one more outburst away from getting an ejection.

Other than that, yes, it was clean, hard-hitting game, with little to no controversy.

I would like to hear hdcastle's take on the game!!! Probably busy taking up equipment and storing it for next year!

"The last meeting between these two teams exposed that in the 1st quarter. However, this is a rivalry game and MBA has potential to really come out and score some points, and their defense has been solid most of the year. But as stated earlier, Ensworth is the better team hands down.

In order for MBA to win they have to cause turnovers and capitalize on all of their red zone opportunities. They really have to be mistake free and find ways to at least contain the Ensworth ground game.

As for Ensworth, the Tigers will have to do what they have been doing all year, and that's run until the scoreboard clock reads all zeroes. They will also have to limit their procedure penalties as they average 74 yards a game in penalties (leads DII)."

That is an excerpt from my blog.

MBA did what they had to do in order to win, EHS didn't. Simple as that. EHS made mistakes, MBA didn't and capitalized on the opportunities EHS gave them. On the game winning drive the EHS defense was gassed and could no longer contain Lassing and the MBA short game and 43 yards for Fletcher is almost a gimme.

In the first had a 24-7 lead right before Fletcher hit a long FG. They did exactly what they did not do in the second, they ran well and was able to stop every threat MBA had. Except on Lassing's TD pass which ended up being the game changer.

It showed in the first half that MBA's confidence was not high like I predicted, especially when their students didn't decide to show up until the 2nd quarter. But big plays bought them a lot of it. Those guys played great did what they needed to do.

Ensworth was out played and out coached. There weren't many questionable calls, not many dirty plays, and no cheating. MBA won fair and square.

Honestly, this was the hardest game that a team could lose. Playoff game at home against your arch rival that you dominated earlier in the year. After the game it felt like Chuck Norris had kicked me in the stomach (minus death). It's a shame that Senior talent this great was to put to waste. This loss will stick for a long time.

What are you doing right now sugarman10? Calling out teenagers on the internet? Lucky for you that you're able be a tool all year round. Once again, I'm not a manger. I'm a videographer, commentator and writer for Rivals High. I work some with the team so I can get to know them better as players and people.

Classy post and well written. Do you have any thoughts about what prompted the two coaching decisions that have been discussed so much here? Also, do you think the off week had any sort of effect?

I agree with you on all counts. From the Ensworth side, I would have taken the field goal in the 4th as well. It puts a little more distance between you and MBA, and maybe the points take some of the momentum away from MBA. At the same time, forcing them to go 95 yards doesn't seems such a bad trade off, since the potential payoff (an EHS touchdown) puts it pretty much out of reach.

I would have been a lot more OK with going on 4th and goal from the 3 if we had put the ball in Darkwa's hands instead of running a QB keeper.

First to hdcastle, my heart felt apologies if I offended you with my post. Just a little good natured ribbing. Also, sorry about incorrectly identifying you as the manager, thanks for clearing that up. As for being some old geezer waiting around to "call out" a teenager on the internet, I can assure you that I am far from that. I enjoyed reading your analysis of the game and can tell that you are very familiar w/ the Tigers. However, just a little food for thought from someone who has been around the block a few times. The information that you "supposedly" gathered about some of the MBA players not wanting to play EHS was something that you should have kept to yourself. While you were probably wishing it were true, as the old saying goes, "some things are better left unsaid." When you decided to put it out on the www you opened yourself up to some shots. You had to have known that your remarks would be viewed as inflammatory to the opponent. Now, I think EHS is a fine school and they had a great football season. Alot of teams would like to have had the kind of season the Tigers had. Good Luck to you and your team in the future.

There weren't many questionable calls, not many dirty plays, and no cheating.

I think a big momentum turn, mindset-wise, occurred after a series of post-play shoving, punching, and mouthing-off early in the first half by one Ensworth DL finally resulted in an MBA retaliation. As usually is the case, the instigating action was missed but the retaliation was not, resulting in an MBA 15-yard UC penalty. From that point on, one could see a change in the expressions on all of the MBA linemen (hard not to notice with the visitor stands so close to the sideline) - a look that said, "you may whip us, but you're not going to punk us". The post-play shoving, etc. did stop for the most part thereafter; my guess is that the EHS coaching staff eventually got through to the young man that he was one more outburst away from getting an ejection.

Other than that, yes, it was clean, hard-hitting game, with little to no controversy.

If you watch the tape, which I have, there is an obvious shove from and MBA lineman to Richardson after the play that almost knocked him to the ground causing the reaction then the retaliation.