Ensworth vs. MBA

TrackRunner4291

digesting everything, this game harkens back to the MBA-FRHS state title game in '97, the first year of D2. Ricky approached that game in much the same way as this one...I.e., "we're the better team, we have no respect for our opponent, and we're going to do what we do, and they can't stop us." Same outcome, a great coach (Page) figured out a way to beat him. Those 4th down calls simply boggle the mind. How Ricky would do so much to help out an opponent he previously beat by 30 points and so clearly out-classed talent-wise should give him nightmares the rest of the off-season. That's part of who Ricky is though....take the good with the bad.

This is the real challenge for teams in D2 that have to face each other twice in the same season. All of these teams are well-coached and the team that won the first game isn't likely to stray from the formula that got them the W the first time around...on the other hand, the loser of the first game knows what to prepare for, and is going to tweak their gameplan and give the opponent something different. So the loser the first time around has an advantage, in reality....see also the BA-McCallie year (2005 I think), or MBA-BA in 2002 (an upset of similar magnitude).

the 2007 MBA team deserves some high praise for scoring two wins over a quality BA team en route to the title and perfect season. That's not easy to do. I'm sure there are other examples....

I certainly remember that 2002 game, and not too fondly. That one came down to who was hungrier. I have never seen a Carlton Flatt coached team so overconfident and under-prepared. Although I don't think that upset was quite as shocking as the one last Friday, both of those teams were much better and more talented than any team in the state this season, including MUS. If you look at those rosters and see how many of those guys ended up playing DI football at the next level, it's pretty amazing. BA alone had 6 DI signees from that senior class, I believe.

I do not see how those teams could have been much better than MUS, at least according to the current rankings. MUS is now ranked #10 in the nation according to Rivals.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

digesting everything, this game harkens back to the MBA-FRHS state title game in '97, the first year of D2. Ricky approached that game in much the same way as this one...I.e., "we're the better team, we have no respect for our opponent, and we're going to do what we do, and they can't stop us." Same outcome, a great coach (Page) figured out a way to beat him. Those 4th down calls simply boggle the mind. How Ricky would do so much to help out an opponent he previously beat by 30 points and so clearly out-classed talent-wise should give him nightmares the rest of the off-season. That's part of who Ricky is though....take the good with the bad.

This is the real challenge for teams in D2 that have to face each other twice in the same season. All of these teams are well-coached and the team that won the first game isn't likely to stray from the formula that got them the W the first time around...on the other hand, the loser of the first game knows what to prepare for, and is going to tweak their gameplan and give the opponent something different. So the loser the first time around has an advantage, in reality....see also the BA-McCallie year (2005 I think), or MBA-BA in 2002 (an upset of similar magnitude).

the 2007 MBA team deserves some high praise for scoring two wins over a quality BA team en route to the title and perfect season. That's not easy to do. I'm sure there are other examples....

I certainly remember that 2002 game, and not too fondly. That one came down to who was hungrier. I have never seen a Carlton Flatt coached team so overconfident and under-prepared. Although I don't think that upset was quite as shocking as the one last Friday, both of those teams were much better and more talented than any team in the state this season, including MUS. If you look at those rosters and see how many of those guys ended up playing DI football at the next level, it's pretty amazing. BA alone had 6 DI signees from that senior class, I believe.

I do not see how those teams could have been much better than MUS, at least according to the current rankings. MUS is now ranked #10 in the nation according to Rivals.

I have great respect for this year's MUS team...they are very good. But take a look at these rosters...

http://www.tssaa.org/2002Champions/Stat ... osters.pdf

Just on BA's team, 7 offensive starters, 6 defensive starters (albeit a few going two ways), and 3 kicking game players played DI in college. Most played at very good programs (Auburn, Alabama, Nebraska, etc.) and started. Ironically, maybe the most talented player on that team was David Holbert, who never got much of a chance to play at UT due to some decimating injuries. The best kicking game in the state of Tennessee that year was BA's...and I'm including the Titans in that comparison. Trust me...a very talented team. That BA team was more talented than MUS this year, (not even claiming they would beat them...just more talented) and MBA's 2002 team was far more talented than the 2009 version.

I'll let some Big Red booster let you know where there guys went.

I have great respect for this year's MUS team...they are very good. But take a look at these rosters...

Just on BA's team, 7 offensive starters, 6 defensive starters (albeit a few going two ways), and 3 kicking game players played DI in college. Most played at very good programs (Auburn, Alabama, Nebraska, etc.) and started. Ironically, maybe the most talented player on that team was David Holbert, who never got much of a chance to play at UT due to some decimating injuries. The best kicking game in the state of Tennessee that year was BA's...and I'm including the Titans in that comparison. Trust me...a very talented team. That BA team was more talented than MUS this year, (not even claiming they would beat them...just more talented) and MBA's 2002 team was far more talented than the 2009 version.

that's murderers' row right there....there was some talent on the field that day. Tom Santi was a 4-year starter at UVA and at one point was on the Colts' roster. Fisher went on to a successful baseball career at GA Tech, and spent time in the Braves organization. I always that Koban was one of the great RB's of this decade and he was a BACK UP in that game. Obviously that MBA team peaked the following year.

Interesting that Kent Austin was an assistant on that team. He's now OC at Ole Miss (and had quite the weekend I might add).

that's murderers' row right there....there was some talent on the field that day. Tom Santi was a 4-year starter at UVA and at one point was on the Colts' roster. Fisher went on to a successful baseball career at GA Tech, and spent time in the Braves organization. I always that Koban was one of the great RB's of this decade and he was a BACK UP in that game. Obviously that MBA team peaked the following year.

Interesting that Kent Austin was an assistant on that team. He's now OC at Ole Miss (and had quite the weekend I might add).

Yeah, that MBA team the following year was very, very good. I believe they were ranked in the top 5 nationally by USAToday until...well...you know! :evil:

Kent Austin clearly has a future as a DI head coach. Made Lane's daddy look pretty 1980's.

I have talked to several people who attended this game and said it was a great game. Most disagree that the first 4th and 1 was a "bad" or even an arrogant call. This was Ensworth's first drive of the 2nd half and Darkwa had played tremendously in the first half. Bowers more than likely thought it was a high percentage call to give the ball to Darkwa for 1 yard. It just didn't work out. In hindsight he may want it back, but being in the 3rd quarter with a good lead, having an emotional home crowd, and with a running back like Darkwa, I also don't see it as a bad call. As for the second go-round, knowing the outcome of the first attempt and the timing in the game, with the change in momentum, it doesn't seem like a good call to go for it. It seemed more like a trick play in the sense that everyone would focus on Darkwa, so they would use him as a decoy. Again, it did not work out. But, who woulda' thought that MBA would drive down the field, use up most of the clock, and score? Ahh, not only is this playoff football, but it is rivalry football. I say congratulations to MBA for what may have been one of their finest halves of football.

I have talked to several people who attended this game and said it was a great game. Most disagree that the first 4th and 1 was a "bad" or even an arrogant call. This was Ensworth's first drive of the 2nd half and Darkwa had played tremendously in the first half. Bowers more than likely thought it was a high percentage call to give the ball to Darkwa for 1 yard. It just didn't work out. In hindsight he may want it back, but being in the 3rd quarter with a good lead, having an emotional home crowd, and with a running back like Darkwa, I also don't see it as a bad call. As for the second go-round, knowing the outcome of the first attempt and the timing in the game, with the change in momentum, it doesn't seem like a good call to go for it. It seemed more like a trick play in the sense that everyone would focus on Darkwa, so they would use him as a decoy. Again, it did not work out. But, who woulda' thought that MBA would drive down the field, use up most of the clock, and score? Ahh, not only is this playoff football, but it is rivalry football. I say congratulations to MBA for what may have been one of their finest halves of football.

Nobody would have expected MBA to drive the length of the field. That's why they should have punted and not given MBA a 30 yrd field.

As to the 4th down decision, I wouldn't quibble with it. I think I would have taken the field goal, but Ricky is Ricky, and it's worked pretty well for him. Nobody would have foreseen an 8+ minute drive.

Great victory Wood, I bet you enjoyed that game. It gave me great pleasure. Highway 100 now know if they didn't, never to overlook the Big Red. :roflol:

I was pleased on about every level. I'm sure you're happy to be looking at a 12th game as well. Good luck in Memphis.

I think both teams have a tall order in winning this week. Still, that's why they play the game.