Huntingdon @ Union City

GoldStandard

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game. Unfortunately somebody had to lose, and tonight it was us. Huntingdon has plenty of depth and really came back and played well in the 2nd half to take the game. Holder not really big but runs strong, fast, and stays on his feet well - really finishes the run well.

by the way, I believe the final call on the face mask was correct. If there is a penalty and you accept the penalty (like Huntingdon did) you get the yards and replay the down.

I think all of the confusion stems from the fact it was 4th down.....Huntingdon accepted the play but it still wasn't 1st down....I don't know what the rule is, I was just trying to tell what was happening during the game....I think the point of contention from both sides is the indecision from the people who SHOULD know the rule....I'm like the other posters on here...I hope they did eventually get the call right....

It all could have been avoided though....The Tornadoes had the Mustangs stopped for a loss...It was a freshman who committed the penalty and he will learn from his mistake....Nobody is questioning the fact there was a facemask....

Union City would have still had to go down to score so you can't say that one play cost UC the game either...UC had the game in hand at 28-7 but let it slip through their fingers...The two biggest plays were the second half fumble by UC and the bad snap for a safety so UC 's players don't have to look far for the reason they lost the game...The contest should have been well in hand at the 4:15 mark of the 4th quarter....

I'm sure these two will meet up again...I don't know how or where the new play-off system will place the teams but I'd be surprised if they don't meet up in Huntingdon and that will be a huge task for UC to advance if it is...

Congrats to Huntingdon...It was just another in a long list of great games with alot of importance between these two West Tn powers....

Great game. UC has some classy fans and players. I thought the field was one of the best I've seen in many years.

The facemask play should have been marked off from the original line of scrimmage or not. I thought UC was back in the game and had momentum on the long 3rd down pass that was broken up by 2 Mustangs only to fall in the UC receivers hands. Well officiated game except the facemask fiasco.

I think the difference in the game was Huntingdon switched defenses. Both teams played hard and I'm sure we'll see each other again. The kicker from UC is the best I've seen in a while. Man what a leg. Kinda reminds me of the kicker from Trousdale County last year.

Congrats to Huntingdon on a huge victory. Looks like your depth helped a lot last night. I knew it would be a good game just didn't know it would be an instant classic. Good luck to both teams down the road this year :twisted:

by the way, I believe the final call on the face mask was correct. If there is a penalty and you accept the penalty (like Huntingdon did) you get the yards and replay the down.

In the higher levels (college and pro) I think the face mask penalty has been changed to all face masks are personal fouls witch means 15 yards and automatic 1st down. No more incidental calls. After last night I am assuming high school still has the incidental rule. Another call I did not understand was the horse-collar tackle on the fullback going into the end zone. My thought was that was a personal foul also. Huntingdon declined the penalty, which the had to do to get the TD. However, if it was a personal foul it would have been enforceable on the kickoff.

The kids on the field reall played their rear ends off. The Huntingdon trainer really made her paycheck last night. UC has some really big fast players. #'s 56, 27, 28, 12, 4 stood out to me. I really don't know what #53 was thinking trying to advance H's last kickoff to UC. He must be really fast for a coach to put him in the second line to receive a kick off. He got a good pop for his effort though. Speaking of kick offs. Huntingdon had a good strategy last night. Kick it hard on the ground and AWAY from 27 and 28. Second half kick offs were great with the bobbles. UC's kick off strategy---boom it high and deep. When it comes out of the clouds it will be wet, slippery, and hard to handle. Mr. Mustang will you head up the "Send Swenson to Spain for a Kicker" fund. I've got the first $5. That will at least get him to Clarksburg.

What's up P&G? Sounds like that was a great game.

You holding it down for me on the basketball threads till I get back over there??...Hey check it out....My son has his basketball schedule...Remember he plays for Obion Central....Anyway, they open up in Jackson against.......LIBERTY !!.......Oh Lord !!.... :twisted:

In the higher levels (college and pro) I think the face mask penalty has been changed to all face masks are personal fouls witch means 15 yards and automatic 1st down. No more incidental calls. After last night I am assuming high school still has the incidental rule. Another call I did not understand was the horse-collar tackle on the fullback going into the end zone. My thought was that was a personal foul also. Huntingdon declined the penalty, which the had to do to get the TD. However, if it was a personal foul it would have been enforceable on the kickoff.

The kids on the field reall played their rear ends off. The Huntingdon trainer really made her paycheck last night. UC has some really big fast players. #'s 56, 27, 28, 12, 4 stood out to me. I really don't know what #53 was thinking trying to advance H's last kickoff to UC. He must be really fast for a coach to put him in the second line to receive a kick off. He got a good pop for his effort though. Speaking of kick offs. Huntingdon had a good strategy last night. Kick it hard on the ground and AWAY from 27 and 28. Second half kick offs were great with the bobbles. UC's kick off strategy---boom it high and deep. When it comes out of the clouds it will be wet, slippery, and hard to handle. Mr. Mustang will you head up the "Send Swenson to Spain for a Kicker" fund. I've got the first $5. That will at least get him to Clarksburg.

"Tiny"... I'll give Swenson the next $5.. That will get him to Parker's Crossroads.

I bet the Mustangs work on tackling this week. You can't hit Price high and expect to bring him down

To say the least.....a game FILLED with momentum swings...Union City swing had started again but stopped by the refs.

Either way, this game ended with a black cloud over it. If the call goes to Union City and they score, the Stang bunch wouldn't be happy. The call did go to Huntingdon leaving Union City wondering ...the what ifs. But Union City would still have to score...and I think they could have.

Huntingdon, #23 is the real deal. #19 is the real deal. BUT, I would imagine you really thought Union City is pretty good for not having that many folks to play.

Either way, a great game and if these teams where to meet 10 times, Union City would win 5 and Huntingdon would win 5. Agree with me or not. I know, the coaching staff from Huntingdon was reall worried duirng the end of the 1st quarter and the entire second being manhandled like you were.

Then the swing changed again to Huntingdon. Union City got tired, not doubt.

Special teams ...won by the Stangs...why...keeping the kickoffs on the ground and out of the air.

Now, you do need a kicker. That may haunt you way down the road at some point.

So did Huntingdon.

You have to hand it to Union City, you really didn't think they could hang with you. Remember, we will play again I imagine down the road. We will be ready again. Accually, our #11 only played defense last night and is our fastest kid on the field...didn't play offense at all. That HURT and he will be back.

Now, as for the play, I was there...the call was.....DEAD BALL FOUL...After the play.....unintentional face mask. The rule book states.....there would be a 5 yard penalty against Union City from the spot of the foul meaning that Huntingdon was still one ( 1 ) yard away and the ball goes over to Union City. The RULE States. If the call would have been during the play, the foul would have been marked from the line of scrimage. Check the book again. I know. Then, there was NO face mask AT ALL. The coaches and event eh ref said he made a mistake. From there , all heck broke loose.

Til we meet again, maybe at Union City, maybe at Huntingdon...the game was what most thought would take place. Down to the wire.

At half time, Union City had 80 more yards than the Stangs. The second half , the Stangs had several.

Either way...Union City ended up with the "L" and the Huntingdon bunch ended up with the "W".

It will count the next time we meet. Not making any excuses at all....Union City practically GAVE this game away from themselves. We had to many bad breaks and that's football.

Great game.....Union City will ONLY get better and so will Huntingdon. Two of Western Tennessee finest in any classification.

ucdiditagain....

I'm having trouble understanding that explanation......

How can a facemask penalty be a "dead ball" penalty??...If it's a dead ball and then a facemask, looks like it would be a personal foul...Fifteen yards on UC and 1st and 10 for the Mustangs...The explanation given to Bowling was that it was a live ball penalty....Swenson's contention was that the facemask penalty is not "declinable" and the officials thought they declined the penalty, which doesn't make sense either....You wouldn't be declining any penalty on fourth down thinking the penalty would give you a first down...Heck, if Huntingdon declines the penalty then it's UC's ball anyway, so that whole scenario doesn't make sense....Sounds like the refs didn't know the rules and let the coaches confuse them even more....

ucdiditagain - I agree w/ P&G, correct call made eventually by the refs (took several ref huddles though). #11 Worley is fast, but please, he is not the fastest player on the team. In addition, from earlier statements you have made, #56 Fair is not a "D-back" but a D-lineman. Just want to make sure all us UC fans on the same page w/ our players.