Huntingdon @ Union City

GoldStandard

To say the least.....a game FILLED with momentum swings...Union City swing had started again but stopped by the refs.

Either way, this game ended with a black cloud over it. If the call goes to Union City and they score, the Stang bunch wouldn't be happy. The call did go to Huntingdon leaving Union City wondering ...the what ifs. But Union City would still have to score...and I think they could have.

Huntingdon, #23 is the real deal. #19 is the real deal. BUT, I would imagine you really thought Union City is pretty good for not having that many folks to play.

Either way, a great game and if these teams where to meet 10 times, Union City would win 5 and Huntingdon would win 5. Agree with me or not. I know, the coaching staff from Huntingdon was reall worried duirng the end of the 1st quarter and the entire second being manhandled like you were.

Then the swing changed again to Huntingdon. Union City got tired, not doubt.

Special teams ...won by the Stangs...why...keeping the kickoffs on the ground and out of the air.

Now, you do need a kicker. That may haunt you way down the road at some point.

So did Huntingdon.

You have to hand it to Union City, you really didn't think they could hang with you. Remember, we will play again I imagine down the road. We will be ready again. Accually, our #11 only played defense last night and is our fastest kid on the field...didn't play offense at all. That HURT and he will be back.

Now, as for the play, I was there...the call was.....DEAD BALL FOUL...After the play.....unintentional face mask. The rule book states.....there would be a 5 yard penalty against Union City from the spot of the foul meaning that Huntingdon was still one ( 1 ) yard away and the ball goes over to Union City. The RULE States. If the call would have been during the play, the foul would have been marked from the line of scrimage. Check the book again. I know. Then, there was NO face mask AT ALL. The coaches and event eh ref said he made a mistake. From there , all heck broke loose.

Til we meet again, maybe at Union City, maybe at Huntingdon...the game was what most thought would take place. Down to the wire.

At half time, Union City had 80 more yards than the Stangs. The second half , the Stangs had several.

Either way...Union City ended up with the "L" and the Huntingdon bunch ended up with the "W".

It will count the next time we meet. Not making any excuses at all....Union City practically GAVE this game away from themselves. We had to many bad breaks and that's football.

Great game.....Union City will ONLY get better and so will Huntingdon. Two of Western Tennessee finest in any classification.

I thought it was a great game by both teams and a good officiated game overall..Number 23 for Huntingdon is the real deal and #56 for Union City is a hoss..As for the play..from what I saw #23 was running to his right and a defender was coming up to make the tackle and it looked like the ball carrier came with a stiff arm and the Union City player very lightly or inadavertly grabbed the face mask...I was told by a Middle Tenn coach that's been coaching over 20 years and has had his team in the top 5 in the state just about every year that on that play,the ball should have been a 5 yard penalty from the original line of scrimmage and since it was a 4th and 2..with the 5 yard penalty should have given Huntingdon a first down instaed of having for them to go for it on 4th and 1..It ended up working out but had he not made it and Union City getting the ball back with their kicker..could have turned out different..As for both teams..I believe they will be seeing each other again..Union City is better on defense than I thought they would be ..only the speed of the Stangs got them some big gainers..I think the Union City running backs were very good also..I heard #28 was a freshman..if he is..gonna be some longs nights for a lot of teams..I don't believe he is but just what I heard..I didn't look at a program..I believe both teams will get better and maybe next time Union City takes the sweep away from Huntingdon the next time..Easier said than done..I don't know what Jo Byrns or Wayne Co brings to the table..but is going to be a tough outing to beat either of these teams..I believe 1 of these teams will be in Cookville..Don't see any teams in our districts getting within 30 points of these two teams..maybe even 40 !

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 is not a freshman.....

Thanks Purple..I was told by an older gentleman last night that he was a freshman..that he was the big boy that played for the Union City middle school last year..I heard that Union City had a stud on last years middle school team but I didn't have the chance to see. him so I didn't know..But I thought if we was ..bad news for my Falcons or anyone else..From what I saw last night..these are by far the best two Single A teams in the area

AS for my post above....just repeating what I was told. It was told to both the coach and other officials before the balkl went back over to Huntingdon that it was a Dead Ball Foul. That is why there was sop much confusion.

It happend in bounds, after the player was called down.

I think The official said he sould have never thrown the flag.

Thanks guys

bigster posted....

"...I was told by a Middle Tenn coach that's been coaching over 20 years and has had his team in the top 5 in the state just about every year that on that play,the ball should have been a 5 yard penalty from the original line of scrimmage and since it was a 4th and 2..with the 5 yard penalty should have given Huntingdon a first down instaed of having for them to go for it on 4th and 1..."

You'll have to show me that in the rule book...That doesn't make any sense either...

The ball carrier lost four yards on the play, making it 4th and 6....You would mark the penalty from the point the infraction occurred making it 4th and 1....Marking it from the original line of scrimmage would be like saying the 4 yard loss play never happened...I think your source would have complicated matters had he been on the sidelines :blush: ...I don't believe any argument, from what I saw with Swenson's comments in The Jackson Sun and what Bowling said on WPSD, even involved marking the foul from the original line of scrimmage....Think about this for a minute....Say the play happened on second down....Second and two, the ball carrier is tackled for a four yard loss..The officials would mark the 5 yard penalty from the point of infraction...That would make the down and distance 2nd and 1..Right??..The problem comes with it being 4th down...Do you get to replay the 4th down again even after the penalty doesn't give you a first down??...I guess you do because when you run into a punter and the penalty doesn't result in a first down the punting team has the option to take the penalty and punt again or refuse the penalty....Right??

Although this will never happen, I'd like to hear from one of the game officials on what exactly was called originally and what was said in those multiple pow-wows....Nobody will ever know for sure...It was just a cluster from the beginning....

28 is not a freshman.....

Thanks Purple..I was told by an older gentleman last night that he was a freshman..that he was the big boy that played for the Union City middle school last year..I heard that Union City had a stud on last years middle school team but I didn't have the chance to see. him so I didn't know..But I thought if we was ..bad news for my Falcons or anyone else..From what I saw last night..these are by far the best two Single A teams in the area

bigster he was thinking of #25....He is one of the freshman corners....He will be a good player for the Tornadoes for the next four years....

AS for my post above....just repeating what I was told. It was told to both the coach and other officials before the balkl went back over to Huntingdon that it was a Dead Ball Foul. That is why there was sop much confusion.

It happend in bounds, after the player was called down.

I think The official said he sould have never thrown the flag.

Thanks guys

What happened then??..Did the officials blow the whistle because forward motion was stopped and then the UC player grabbed or whatever, the facemask??...I ask because I'm having a hard time understanding why there wouldn't be a personal or unsportsmanlike penalty called for grabbing a facemask during dead ball situation...

Now, as for the play, I was there...the call was.....DEAD BALL FOUL...After the play.....unintentional face mask. The rule book states.....there would be a 5 yard penalty against Union City from the spot of the foul meaning that Huntingdon was still one ( 1 ) yard away and the ball goes over to Union City. The RULE States. If the call would have been during the play, the foul would have been marked from the line of scrimage. Check the book again. I know. Then, there was NO face mask AT ALL. The coaches and event eh ref said he made a mistake. From there , all heck broke loose.

All DEAD Ball Fouls are 15 yards ( not 5 yards )

If I was a smart aleck, I could come in here and say that I'm sick of all the whining and crying over the refs calls. I could say that the game was played on the field, and the best team won. I could say that people shouldnt blame the refs for a loss. I could say you lost...get over it.....and quit blaming it on the refs. You should have won in spite of the refs. And, I could say that Butchie saying that depth was a problem is ironic and laughable. Depth being a problem????? And, then, you, and others on this thread, get onto me and Greenfieldfan and others for our David and Goliath statements about Greenfield and Gleason and others having to play big schools in 1A?????? lol. I could say that and laugh a lot when thinking about the extreme lack of depth for true 1A schools when playing the bigger schools, but I wont say it. No, I wont say any of this, because I dont want to be a jerk and a smart aleck.

:roflol:

If I was a smart aleck, I could come in here and say that I'm sick of all the whining and crying over the refs calls. I could say that the game was played on the field, and the best team won. I could say that people shouldnt blame the refs for a loss. I could say you lost...get over it.....and quit blaming it on the refs. You should have won in spite of the refs. And, I could say that Butchie saying that depth was a problem is ironic and laughable. Depth being a problem????? And, then, you, and others on this thread, get onto me and Greenfieldfan and others for our David and Goliath statements about Greenfield and Gleason and others having to play big schools in 1A?????? lol. I could say that and laugh a lot when thinking about the extreme lack of depth for true 1A schools when playing the bigger schools, but I wont say it. No, I wont say any of this, because I dont want to be a jerk and a smart aleck.

;)

Please just shut up. game over now time for us to focus on west carroll