Which rivalry is the biggst in division II?

BAEagleFootball

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm biased, but i lean towards MBA-Ryan. It's old (77 meetings since 1930), and features two of the prominent schools and programs in the middle Tennessee area. Further, during the '70's and much of the '80's, their games had a lot riding on them: the two teams were in District 11-AAA (along with Nick Coutras' Overton team-always well coached, and excited to play the private schools), and only one team from each district went to the playoffs. Because Ryan has had some rough years of late, the rivalry seems to have lost its luster, and been replaced by the BA game, and now the Ensworth game. Still, for us old alums, Father Ryan is a combination of King Herod and the Sheriff of Nottingham dressed in purple.

And for the Baylor/McCallie crowd, it's not our fault that Ryan is a new school.

Just an observation

MUS vs. CBHS (old)

McCallie vs. Baylor (old)

MBA vs Ryan (old)

MBA vs Ensworth (new)

JPII vs Ryan (New)

BA vs MBA (old)

BA vs Ensworth (new)

BGA vs ???

Briarcrest vs ???

Eh, BGA has a good rivalry with Ryan. And I'd even throw in BA and EHS. At least those were the games that I was most pumped for.

McCallie and Baylor is huge! The whole week leading up to the game is insane. Large blue flags with white M's and large red flags with white B's fly from cars, truck's and suv's. There is such a build up for this game. If you have not experienced the game you could not appreciate it.

Absolutely it's Baylor and McCallie. Just a sea of red on one side and a sea of blue on the other. So much color, pagentry and emotion when these two meet in any sport. Tons on history in this series.

to me it's Baylor-McCallie by a long shot. I would liken it to Harvard-Yale, Alabama-Auburn, or Army-Navy. The people involved in the rivalry care more about it than just about anything. It's a real treasure in Tennessee.

MBA-Ryan (IMO) is a distant second. The rivalry took a nosedive when Ryan moved from the Elliston Place campus and the Ryan home game was moved from Vandy. That and the one-sided affair it's become in recent years. This is akin to Michigan-Ohio St. or maybe ND-USC.

MBA-EHS is sort of like Michigan-Michigan St, or maybe UVA- Va Tech. One is a glorious, proud, tradition-rich institution and the other is the obnoxious, up-start little brother you are forced to play every year, whether you want to or not.

MBA-BA is more like what Tennessee-Alabama used to be before all the legal shennanigans cast a cloud over it. Two storied programs with loads of respect for one another and the titles to go with it.

Haven't been around the Memphis/West TN rivalries but I'd have to think CBHS-MUS is a good one.