Which rivalry is the biggst in division II?

BAEagleFootball

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen up you "lovely, lovely people" who support Ensworth. The tradition, blah, blah, blah, at MBA can never be replicated by little ole Ensworth and it doesn't matter how many buildings ya'll build or teachers you steal, or centuries you have to try and get it right. MBA is turning out the "gentemen, scholars and athletes" of Middle Tennessee and I guess Ensworth and the rest of the schools in Middle Tennessee turn out the opposite?!! This is why Ensworth and MBA draw their students from two "very, very, different bases". Now I am not fortunate enough to be a graduate of Ensworth or MBA, but I reckon I know an insult when I read it, even if it has the words "lovely" and "very, very great" repeated several times. Why is Ensworth not in the plans, for the children of Ensworth alumni? Ensworth, you better quit beating MBA, because it sounds like some of the MBA faithful are having a hissy fit and it is not pretty. By the way, what is are "gentemen" and how can our school get some?

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my post, but I think the civil tone of my post conveys a sincere message. If you follow my previous posts about EHS over the years, you will find that in general, they say nice things, and when speaking about people like Ricky Bowers, Edd Caudill, or Jason Hiett, they are always complimentary. To answer your question, you have to keep in mind that more than 75% of MBA's alumni did not attend Ensworth and are therefore, indifferent about EHS. Of those that did, the majority consider it to be an elementary school, which is why when I discuss it with peers, they plan on sending their sons to MBA for high school. Again, I don't think my post sounds anything like a hissy fit, and if you do, you are not properly understanding it. (Comparatively, my post is much more civil/cordial than yours, but I don't accuse you of having an inferiority complex or a chip on your shoulder.) Contrary to what you may want to believe, MBA isn't all that concerned with EHS, and it's going to keep on being the same great institution it's always been. Do we want to beat them in football? Absolutely. We want to win every game. But, MBA just had 12 boys named National Merit Semifinalists, one of whom was Fitz Lassing. (Congrats to MUS for leading the state with 13.) MBA also just had 78 boys earn AP honors. MBA is also finally set to embark on a campus expansion/renovation that has been 15 years in the making as they acquired the necessary properties. Things are fine. That's the last I'm going to say on the matter because this thread isn't about MBA and Ensworth. I apologize if I've helped get it off track. Back to the topic at hand, which rivalry is the biggest in DII?

EHS/MBA is a great rivalry fueled by the fact that many of the people involved with kick starting EHS were a part of the MBA family for a long time. To refer to a team that has whipped MBA two years in a row and played them close three years ago as the "obnoxious, up-start little brother" kinda comes off as...dumb, childish, I don't know, a whole number of things. I always loved playing EHS and have nothing but respect for them. When we played it was just a good natured, intense kinda rivalry between two good teams without alot of the trash talk you usually see. I'm guessing you're "thoughts" don't represent MBA as a whole though so I'm not too worried about it

Well I appreciate "you're" taking the time out of "you're" day to show me the light. And you're right on the money, I don't represent all of MBA in my posts. My guess is, you figured, how could one guy speak on behalf of hundreds of people who graduated from that school over the years? Many of whom he probably doesn't even know? How could he? Nicely done, so you're definitely wise not to be too worried about my opinions, at least as far as representing all of MBA.

I mean one typo in over 150 posts isn't enough to base a rebuttal on...so yea. I started the sentence with the purpose of saying "you are blah blahhh" and redirected to "your." Sorry if I offended you with my terrible grammar. Now, I respect what Redtwin said, and if he says that EHS isn't important except on the week of the game, then I have to go with that. You instead were just kind of rude about a school that I have seen nothing but class from...so yea. Be nice. ELE

earlier post:

Actually his thoughts represent a fairly large contingent of the MBA community. The win-loss record in a series has little correlation to the degree of a rivalry. Also, the "many MBA supporters involved in kicking off EHS" is actually a quite small number of very vocal individuals than what an uniformed outsider would be led to believe. If you look at the matriculation of EMS students to MBA and the number of EMS alums (who then went on to MBA/HH) who are now enrolling their children at schools other than EMS, you will see that there are plenty of people who don't agree with the vocal minority.

I would rank MBA's rivals in the order of:

1. Ryan

2. BA

3. EHS

Could EHS work it's way up that list over time? Sure, we'll see what happens

I am a member of both the MBA and EHS communities. I have no idea to what MBA "contingent" and "vocal minority" you refer. Students? Or parents?

EHS is new enough that the kids there consider almost every other local school a rival. Rather than an "obnoxious" sibling, EHS has a positive atmosphere where students show have little tolerance for belitting of others.

You have your "matriculation" facts wrong. EMS (Ensworth Middle School) sends between 80 to 90 percent of its graduates each year to EHS. The traditional, pre-EHS kids who leave after 6th grade to go to MBA, boarding school or any other school have dropped dramatically since EHS opened seven years ago. Anyone in admissions at EMS would be happy to give you more history and details.

As for rivalries, I'm guessing that you, to be so concerned with where its middle school students "matriculate," consider Ensworth a pretty big threat -- the fact remains that MBA is casting a much wider net than ever, and is proud to include kids from more zip codes than ever before. I'm sure anyone in admissions at MBA would be happy to fill you in.

And by the way, almost everyone involved in starting EHS is an MBA alum or parent. I sure hope to see you and the MBA team at the playoffs in November! I'll be on the orange side. Maybe you don't consider MBA-EHS a true rivalry but I would bet the crowd at a state playoff game would come close to breaking attendance records.

How could anyone @ MBA consider Father Ryan a rival in football? Has it not been over 12 years since Father Ryan last defeated the Big Red on the football field & most of the games have not been close? Now this season could be different as MBA seems to be way down and the Irish are having one of their better years but for someone to be a rival they must win more than once every twelve years.

My question would be, how can you look at the history between Ryan and MBA and not call it a great rivalry? They've played 77 times dating back to 1931 (as I recall from my last trip to RolRedRoll's HSFBD), and it's doubtful that another game in Nashville will ever attract the crowd that this game has in past years (28,000 at Vanderbilt in '71). Certainly Ryan's hard times of late have taken some of the luster off the rivalry, but this rivalry and others have had their long streaks. MBA didn't beat Ryan from '73-'78, and three of those were ugly in the extreme. Baylor/McCallie has similar situation, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the big game for both schools.

The dynamic between MBA and Ryan changed with the introduction of 5 classifications, when MBA went to 5-A and Ryan went to 4-A. This altered the weight of the game, and made BA a substitute of sorts. Add to the that the fact that the second MBA-BA play-off game was one of the greatest games played at MBA, and you have something that looks more important than Ryan. The fact that it became a yearly fixture with the Split turned it into a rivalry. I still maintain that it needs a few more years to become a true rivalry. And the yearly Ensworth game will probably become bigger than either of those over time, but again, to qualify as a rivalry, it really needs some time.

And this is the view of all of the MBA alumni in zip code 33323. I'm unanimous on this one.

How could anyone @ MBA consider Father Ryan a rival in football? Has it not been over 12 years since Father Ryan last defeated the Big Red on the football field & most of the games have not been close? Now this season could be different as MBA seems to be way down and the Irish are having one of their better years but for someone to be a rival they must win more than once every twelve years.

I have never understood this concept, although it is certainly not uncommon. Rivalries are borne out of geographical proximity, long histories (continuous particularly), general disdain for one another, and other factors not necessarily related to one's success and failure against the opponent (as referenced earlier). Granted, I think this rivalry has lost some luster - not only from the recent one-sided nature of the series but also FRHS's move from Elliston Place to Franklin Road however many years ago (the closer proximity seemed to yield itself to more hijinks, mainly the purple painting of MBA's cannons) - but I still think Father Ryan is MBA's biggest rival. There are certainly plenty of rivalries in the state much more lopsided over the long-term than MBA-FRHS (Maryville-Alcoa comes to mind).

To get back to the original question: Baylor-McCallie hands down.

The first game was played in 1905 (McCallie won 41-0) and was played annually until suspended because of violence after the 1940 season. The rivalry wasn't reinstated until 1971 although the mutual hatred was never suspended. After a total of 75 games, the record is 37-35-3 in favor of the River Rats. McCallie's current streak of 11 wins in a row is the most by either team. Baylor will again selfishly (and with complete disdain for general good) move the game from Finley where the entire community can enjoy it to their own campus in order to to improve their chances. Speculation is that the Baylor endowment has taken such a beating the last two years (much like its team) that the school is now in need of gate receipts. Obviously, I am completely neutral and all of the above was written with complete objectivity.

The first game was played in 1905 (McCallie won 41-0) and was played annually until suspended because of violence after the 1940 season. The rivalry wasn't reinstated until 1971 although the mutual hatred was never suspended. After a total of 75 games, the record is 37-35-3 in favor of the River Rats. McCallie's current streak of 11 wins in a row is the most by either team. Baylor will again selfishly (and with complete disdain for general good) move the game from Finley where the entire community can enjoy it to their own campus in order to to improve their chances. Speculation is that the Baylor endowment has taken such a beating the last two years (much like its team) that the school is now in need of gate receipts. Obviously, I am completely neutral and all of the above was written with complete objectivity.

If you have ever been to an on-campus baylor mccallie game then you know that the atmosphere at finley holds no candle. Even the mccallie fans 2 years ago on here ( at least the reasonable ones) were saying that it was an experience like no other. As far as advantage goes- how? almost equal fans on both sides. blue can have it on their campus too but they choose not to. The game isnt for the general public, its for baylor and mccallie. Besides its not like other high schools arent playing that night. I guess McCallie's endowment isnt taking a beating, must be nice. Does that cover state rings? But i'm sure if they ever needed any more students they would certainly put some billboards up.

You display the same level of objectivity that I admire in my own posts.

You display the same level of objectivity that I admire in my own posts.

Naw. You are not arrogant like the McCallie guy! He is pretty obnoxious.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering last nights game between Ensworth and BA, I believe this rivalry will stem into something big (maybe not the biggest but definitely big). BA has stopped Ensworth the last two years in the Semi-Finals in close games. Last nights game was a close one and could control the seeding in the playoffs. Both are good teams with good coaches and are basically 5 miles from each other down the same road.

Baylor will again selfishly (and with complete disdain for general good) move the game from Finley where the entire community can enjoy it to their own campus in order to to improve their chances. Speculation is that the Baylor endowment has taken such a beating the last two years (much like its team) that the school is now in need of gate receipts. Obviously, I am completely neutral and all of the above was written with complete objectivity.

Your neutrality is not all that obvious to me. If you had in fact attended the Baylor-McCallie game, then it would be obvious to you why the decision was made to play the game at Baylor and not Finley. The game at Baylor had the electric atmosphere of a sellout/standing room only crowd. The atmosphere at Finley would have been that of a poorly attended college football game. Yes, having the game at Baylor enhanced the home field advantage. But that is what home field advantage is supposed to do. Call it selfish or whatever you want, I call it home field advantage. For the good of the rivalry, I hope McCallie is 'selfish' next year and has the game at McCallie.

By the way, your comments about the decision being based on revenues are ridiculous. Besides the fact that gate receipts would be greater at Finley with its unlimited seating, the Baylor administration decision to play the first Baylor/McCallie game at Baylor in 2007 was made long before the stock market and endowments ever went south.